Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Smile Which Tripod ??? Help...

Hi all,

first of all, sorry for the bad english. Anywayzzz.....

i just bought myself a D50 + Sigma 18-200. Right now i'm looking for supportin gadget for my camera. i'm planing to buy firstly a Tripod cos i like to take shots of landscape and nightscene...
    so, the problem is, i can't decide which Tripod I should buy. If somebody has experienced with this case, please give me some advice..
    I'm kinda interessted to Manfrotto 190 ProB + 486RC2 Ballhead, is it a good one? it would cost me bout 170 Euro, which personally i find it expensive, since i'm new in this photograpy thing. does it worth the buy?? (good investition ??), is there a good and stable Tripod which cheaper than this Manfrotto?

O'yeah, another question. which Blitz is more useful to Nikon D50, the SB600 or the SB800 ? i heard that's there is some difference that sb800 can do and sb600 can't do in combination with d50. something with Blitz trigger or something like that, which i don't understand. If someone can explain it to me, it would be great !!!

I thank you all for the Information and advice guys.... !!

Quote Originally Posted by kooli293
    Hi all,

i just bought myself a D50 + Sigma 18-200. Right now i'm looking for supportin gadget for my camera. i'm planing to buy firstly a Tripod cos i like to take shots of landscape and nightscene...
    so, the problem is, i can't decide which Tripod I should buy. If somebody has experienced with this case, please give me some advice..
    I'm kinda interessted to Manfrotto 190 ProB + 486RC2 Ballhead, is it a good one? it would cost me bout 170 Euro, which personally i find it expensive, since i'm new in this photograpy thing. does it worth the buy?? (good investition ??), is there a good and stable Tripod which cheaper than this Manfrotto?

O'yeah, another question. which Blitz is more useful to Nikon D50, the SB600 or the SB800 ? i heard that's there is some difference that sb800 can do and sb600 can't do in combination with d50. something with Blitz trigger or something like that, which i don't understand. If someone can explain it to me, it would be great !!!

I thank you all for the Information and advice guys.... !!
    There are some Manfroto look alikes that are supposed to be pretty good. Most of the time I use a Manfroto Monopod with folding leg kit and 484 ball head. I also use several sizes of relatively inexpensive (Slik, and Quanteray) tripods for portraits and tabeltop lightbox use. Your choice of the 190 proB should work great, but you might also want to look at some of the quick release tilt-pan heads like the 3030.

For your D50 either Nikon flash will work great. The SB800 includes the Commander base controller, which is omitted from the D50, so if you plan to add wireless remote speedlights in the future it is worth the extra cost. The SB800 is also a little more powerful (guide=125' @ ISO100 vs. 100' for the SB600). Whichever you get take the time to read the manual, and experiment. Using a speedlight correctly can yield some amazing results.
    Last edited by D70FAN; 02-07-2006 at 08:00 AM.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Hi all,

Just to put things in perspective, a top drawer tripod, ballhead and plate will run you about $1000 (850 Euros) or more. Manfrotto, Gitzo and Giottos all have the stability part figured out.

The question, is the 190 ProB the right set of legs for you? I don't have their line memorized, and it sort of depends on what you are going for. For me, I want to be able to stand up and take a photo. None of this crouching stuff. But, you don't want to use the center post unless absolutely necessary, because it detracts from stability. So I need a tall tripod for my 5'9" eyepoint (I'm 6'1", but, like many, my eyes are not on the top of my head).

Of course, you may consider weight more important, so you may want to sacrifice height for less weight. In that case, you could also consider the more expensive carbon fiber tripods.

Another factor is type of photography. If you are a macro nut, you want a tripod that can contort in a lot of different ways. You want a center post that can be used horizontal as well as vertical (Manfrotto and Gitzo both have models that do this). You want to be able to get low to the ground.

More expensive tripods won't necessarily be more stable until you get to the very top of the line products, which are actually heavier and simpler (the Gitzo Studex line, for example). They will offer more of the features you are looking for, and they will have better / quicker leg extension features. Gitzo's twist lock system is very fast once you get the initial stiffness worked out. They will also offer better construction materials, such as carbon fiber instead of aluminum, or Gitzo's relatively new basalt material (Yes a tripod made of fiber spun from volcanic rock).

The ballhead you mentioned is a perfectly functional ballhead. IIRC, it comes with a quick release camera plate. The ball is cast, as are most if not all of the Manfrotto ballheads. If the plate is flat, the camera or lens can twist on the plate due to the weight of your equipment. This is especially likely in portrait orientation, since the plate is vertical. There are several manufacturers of custom plates and ballheads. Forged ballheads are smoother and rounder than cast heads, so they operate more smoothly. Typically, since they are on top of the line products, they will also have more controllable tension mechanisms, so you can move the camera around with the confidence that you can let go and the camera won't just flop down, yet you can also use the separate lockdown to lock the camera in place. Makers like Kirk and ReallyRightStuff make plates that are custom fit to camera makes. They have a lip so that when the camera is attached to the plate, it cannot twist on the plate due to camera weight.

I'm sure what you are looking at is perfectly functional. You may not need a top of the line system, as your tripod needs may not put you in difficult tripod situations. But that 170E system is probably the minimum you want to spend, unless you can find an equivalent system for less. There are off name brand items that may offer the same stability and convenience, but are cheaper because they don't have the "name cachet" of Manfrotto.

Here's an article by Thom Hogan that talks about his own perspective on the tripod hunt.

whoa, didn't know that that choice of Tripod would be a difficult one... especially due to budget hehe.
    Btw, what kind of Tripod did u bought and for which Camera + lens, Erichlund?

What kind of Camera + lens do u have George ? since u use a smaller Ballhead than 486..
    are u quite satisfied with your choice of Tripod / Monopod?

for me though, it'll be kinda too much for my budget, to spend more than 200 Euro.... pity

Thx you guys for the responds...

whoa, didn't know that that choice of Tripod would be a difficult one... especially due to budget hehe.

What kind of Camera + lens do u have George ? since u use a smaller Ballhead than 486..
    are u quite satisfied with your choice of Tripod / Monopod?

for me though, it'll be kinda too much for my budget, to spend more than 200 Euro.... pity

Thx you guys for the responds...
    I use all types of lenses with the monopod, including the fairly heavy Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8. With lighter lenses I mount to the camera. I do a fair amount of treking in the desert so it is handy for mounting big lenses and then carrying the lens and camera over my shoulder. I typically use a ziplock bag to protect the camera/lens when I do this. Easy on, and easy off, and pocketable when using the camera. Works good when shooting in rain and dust as well.

Actually the Monopod and ball-head was about $80, and the folding base was about $40. I also have a base spike, and don't remember what that cost, but my guess is $15. So not too bad.

The Manfrotto 3030 tilt-pan head (for tripod) is about $61 from B&H.

Like I said the 190ProB is a good tripod, and it was one that I have considered as an upgrade to my cheapies.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

That spiel was a result of the research I've been doing for my own purchase, which doesn't look to be on the immediate horizon. Had a 10% purge at the office today. I managed to miss the first wave, but now is probably not the time to go spending a bunch of bucks on toys.

I actually have two tripods, an old SLIK U-220 and a rather more recent Velbon of unrecalled model, but was about $50. The Velbon, despite being cheaper than the SLIK, has a better head on it, though both are simple pan heads. The SLIK head doesn't have enough grip to hold even a minimal SLR load in portrait. The Velbon is a little better. Neither is really where I want to be, but they are fine as auxilary tripods for lights. Of course, having lost my other three flashes (Canon, Vivitar and Nikon SB28) in a burglary, I only have the SB800 now.

Tripod vs Monopod

okay guys, I've look around the manfrotto catalogue, and i saw a Monopod, now the question ist, what's the pros and what the cons of monopod/Tripod really is??
    if i take monopod Manfrotto 682 which inclusive an extra 3 "mini" feet, is it okay enough to replace a Tripod under circumstance that if the field i take photo is flat, not extremly windy ?? Camera = D50 + sigma 18-200 ?
    Can i stake my monopod into the ground (sand / Gravel / soil )?

Thanx again guys....

Monopod != Tripod

A monopod is not a replacement for a tripod. It is a supplement to a tripod when you simply cannot use a tripod. Even with feet, a monopod is not inherently stable. It essentially does no more than provide a connection between the camera and the ground, but doesn't control any other axis of movement. Your own legs become the other legs of the tripod, and they are nearly never as stable as three aluminum / fiberglass / basalt legs.

Don't take this to mean that a monopod is a bad thing to have. My monopod is of better quality than either of my tripods. A tripod gives you a decent chance at removing all vibration. A monopod gives you a decent chance at removing a large portion of vibration.

You want a really great tripod? Try the Bogen/Manfrotto Neotech Pro Photo Tripod.

Thumbs up Bogen-Manfrotto Self-Standing Pro Silver Monopod

Bogen-Manfrotto Self-Standing Pro Silver Monopod, Model 682 <- the final word in cost-effective monopods.

Why argue with success. This baby is not a tripod, but it is getting close. I just wound up having to shoot "bare handed" at the Museum of Science and Industry, because they "banned" tripod shooting. I was not a happy camper... to say the least, after paying parking, admission and then being told... no tripods

The shots had to be under ambient lighting conditions and this was as awkward as you might imagine.

Had I had this little beauty, the problems would have been solved.

Anyway, at around $90.00, it has the stand feet on it for those "emergency" issues where quiver and shake are present (slow shutter) and you do not want to even think about touching your tool.

Give it a look... here's the link:
    http://www.momophoto.com/r-499306/m-...E/Default.aspx

Don