Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: School Gear

School Gear

Hey so i am starting to develop a photography program here at my school and ive been asked to write a proposal for a whole bunch of gear and all and i was wondering what would be the best DSLR for a school to have for its students to not only learn on but to take pictures at the events like soccer games, basketball games, various events, activities and things like that also i know since we want them to take pictures of the sports events i will need a fairly nice lens to handle that but what lens would be good for sports in generel be able to take pictures in a gym and outside. Would it be smart to by external flashes or are the internal flashes sufficient...? In case you were wondering we already have some film nikon cameras with i think 28-90 lenses (standard) and im pretty sure we will go from there because there is no point of buying canon cameras and a whole bunch of lenses for canon if we atleast have two lenses for nikon we might aswell just stay nikon.... right?... or will canon be an overall better choice ??? see these are questions that im just starting to realize and i think ive got alot of work to do but help me out here there are alot of more knowledgable photographers here then i am ive seen just by the weekly assignments and all and i love seeing their work dont get me wrong i aspire to be at that level.
    but i would really appreciate if i could get some help here.

I am sorry if this is all confusing and im not clear

The 28-90mm lenses are not much special, and with the 1.5x crop factor from a Nikon DSLR they will have the field of view of a 42-135mm lens, missing the whole wide angle range.

The kit lenses of both Nikon and Canon will give you that range, at probably a bit better quality since cheap older film lenses tend to show their short comings on digital bodies in a major way.

That of course does not mean that Nikon is a wrong choice, it just means that you probably do not have too much use for those older lenses.

Lenses inside should have a bigger aperture, so look at least at lenses with an aperture of f2.8, with primes (single focal point lenses, not zoom lenses) you can get bigger apertures if needed (like a 50mm f1.8 or f1.4, or a 35mm f2, or a 85mm f1.8).

I can't tell you what is the best choice in your case, Nikon or Canon, I do not know the budget either, the cheapest Nikon (D50) is a bit cheaper than the Canon.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Well budget wise im supposed to come up with ideal equipment and what is needed so i was thinking i need atleast a couple nikon D50 (is the d50 better then the canons in the same price range?) and ideal would be to get i guess nikon d200 although im not sure if we need a camera at that quality the man question i guess im asking is what are for educational purposes for students that are just learning which DSLR will give them the features needed for the different areas that they will be shooting (sports, indoor, school events) but not be too advanced that they will have to take a course alone just to figure out how to use the camera. does that make sense? i mean is it a no brainer to just buy nikon D50 cameras or is it worth buying the higher end cameras for a highschool students use.

It is not a case of better or worse, the Canon EOS 350D/XT and the Nikon D50 are both very good cameras, with their own plusses and minusses.

With either you would do a good choice, so going for a D50 if it offers the features needed is a good thing.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

My recommendation is the Canon 20D for the body and a mix of long L zooms and/or primes and short/normal consumer primes for the lenses. These guys are going to want to learn photography but if you give them mediocre and/or slow lenses they may become disenchanted pretty quickly. The L lenses (for the sports shooting would be necessary since there really are no consumer level alternatives that would get you the wide apertures (small f numbers) you need to effectively shoot high school sports. Let's face it...high school stadiums are not well lit. Some lenses like the 300mm f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8 would be dandy. For the shorter focal lengths, some cheaper primes would be fine. 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, etc would be more than adequate...with decent build and low cost so you can invest in more than just a couple so that hands-on experience can be maximized.

I recommend the 20D because it's not quite a professional camera but it doesn't lack in performance, and it has a decent enough build that it should last awhile, even with a lot of student hands getting ahold of it. You can buy a couple of those for every 1 pro camera body you'd buy for the same amount of cash. A professional camera would be overkill and possibly indimidating for students just starting out.

Depending on the timing of it all, you might want to look at the successor to the 20D, which will be announced shortly.

PS: I don't recommend Nikon simply because equivalent glass on the longer end is usually a bit more expensive than Canon's. You'll be throwing away camera bodies every few years but the good lenses will last you a good long time...you might as well spend less per lens so you can get more copies in the hands of the students. It wouldn't be fair to anyone if 1 lens had to be shared by 30 kids.
    Ouch.