Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Canon Powershot A80 vs. Kodak 6490 vs. HP R707?

Hey all,

What do you think?

Canon Powershot A80 vs. Kodak 6490 vs. HP R707 w.out the dock

I'm looking for a 4MP or lower-cost 5MP point-and-shoot. I would consider myself a beginner that dabbles a bit in the amateur end of things (i.e. starting to learn more about the manual controls). Some of my criteria are:

- price (around $500 Canadian before adding a case, batteries etc.)
    - ease of use - specifically how easy it is/quickly you can go from OFF to snapping pics.
    - speed between shots
    - battery life
    - room to grow from a beginner to more amateur photographer.

I like the larger LCD on the 6490, but am hesitant about the battery i.e. cost + availability. And just how easy is it to accidentally turn on the camera? I plan on lugging it around in a small backpack. As the review suggests, R707 seems to give you lots of bang for buck. I like the swivel LCD on the A80, and the possibility of adding extra lenses.

What's your opinion on Kodak cameras? I have heard mixed reviews as to how the company is doing. And finally, how useful is having a 10x optical zoom?

Thanks and keep up the great work!

JP

If you want a jacket-pocket sized camera then maybe you should stick with the A80. The swiveling LCD is a nifty and very useful feature as well. It does have a manual mode so you can play with the settings if you wish.

If pocketability is not an issue and fun/versatility is then, for about the same price, you might want to look at the current crop of Image Stabilized (IS) Ultra-zooms which include the Canon S1 IS, The Panasonic FZ-10, and the just announced Minolta Z3.

The FZ-10 and the Z3 are 12X optical zoom and the S1 IS is 10X. All are fully point-n-shoot, with manual controls when you feel like "venturing out".

The Kodak and HP offerings are also nice cameras, but are not as full featured as those from Canon, Panasonic, and Minolta.

As always, go down to your favorite camera store and try them out. Sometimes a camera that looks good on paper falls short when it's in your hands and taking pictures. You might also find something that you like better up there on the shelf.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Thank you for your reply - it pushed me off the fence and onto the A80. However, just as I was about to plunk my money down, I saw the news about the powershot A85 coming out (so I might wait a bit to see what the reviews/prices are), and then recently there was a price drop at one of the local photo stores (a reputable chain in Canada)- Kodak DX7630 priced the same as the A80 - I don't know why. So another branch in my decision tree is now Kodak DX7630 vs. Canon powershot A80, price being equal...any thoughts? Is the DX7630 a lemon? A80 seems to be more versatile i.e. I like the customized white balance, but DX7630 itself seems to be in another class - i.e. 6MP, less red-eye, and the screen is larger, among other things. I know that 6MP is probably overkill for someone looking for point-and-shoot with room to expand, but for the same price as A80, is it a no-brainer to just go for more bang for your buck?

Thanks again,

JP

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by planetnine
    Thank you for your reply - it pushed me off the fence and onto the A80. However, just as I was about to plunk my money down, I saw the news about the powershot A85 coming out (so I might wait a bit to see what the reviews/prices are), and then recently there was a price drop at one of the local photo stores (a reputable chain in Canada)- Kodak DX7630 priced the same as the A80 - I don't know why. So another branch in my decision tree is now Kodak DX7630 vs. Canon powershot A80, price being equal...any thoughts? Is the DX7630 a lemon? A80 seems to be more versatile i.e. I like the customized white balance, but DX7630 itself seems to be in another class - i.e. 6MP, less red-eye, and the screen is larger, among other things. I know that 6MP is probably overkill for someone looking for point-and-shoot with room to expand, but for the same price as A80, is it a no-brainer to just go for more bang for your buck?

Thanks again,

JP
    Well, my advice is if the A85 comes out then you can expect substantial reductions on the price of the A80 as dealers rush to flog old stock before nobody wants it any more.

A85 not replacing A80

I just wanted to point out that the A85 is a 4 megapixel version of the A75. Tt is not a replacement for the A80. The A85 does not have the swivel screen, so please keep that in mind. Hopefully a replacement for the A80 will be announced soon and we can see if it is worth getting. Just my two cents.

Kodak 6490 vs HP R707 vs Canon A80

22 July 2004

We happen to own and use all three of these digital cameras. Each do an excellent job. However, there are indeed some differences between them.

The Canon A-80 (4mp+AA size batteries) and HP R707 (5.1mp+ proprietary battery) are both 3X optical zoom digital cameras. The digital zoom in the Canon A-80 is not good. The digital zoom in the HP R707 works reasonably well. It has a 21X max zoom, but is best under 10X.

The Kodak DX-6490 (4mp+proprietary battery) is a 10X optical zoom camera that also has a rather good digital zoom feature which would be able to get you out to 40X. By the way the Mode Selector/On Switch is secure and is not easily shifted to the on position.

We like long zoom digital cameras. Our preference of the three digital cameras would clearly be the Kodak DX-6490 as it would offer more utility long term. If smallness is an issue, then seriously take a look at the HP R707. If you must be able to use AA size batteries then the Canon A-80 is worth a look.

Sarah Joyce

Don't forget about the excellent manual controls and swivel LCD of the A80. If you're unsure about whether you need a long telephoto, get that and if it turns out you do you can get Canon's excellent 2.4x teleconverter. That said, I think the A80 is going to be replaced soon.

Oh, by the way: welcome back, Sarah J!

Jake

Site: Starflower Studios
    Camera: Fuji S602
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    God is Dead.
    --Nietzsche, 1882

Nietzsche is Dead.
    --God, 1900

Nietzsche and God both died on a hill in South Viet Nam, January 1967.
    --Bryant Wetzel, 2004

Thank you

Thank you for all your advice, George, Rhys, Jim, speaklightly, and Jake!

I settled on the A80 and took the plunge yesterday, and this being my first digicam, I am really impressed so far. From talking with a few vendors, the A95 and A85 will be available in Canada in the next couple of weeks, and the stock of A80's is beginning to dry up. I got my A80 for $449 CAD, which is slightly cheaper than regular price. From what I have seen (informal research of course), the A85 will retail around $500 CAD, and the A95 around $700 CAD, so I didn't want to miss out on the swiveling LCD at a lower price...now I just have to find a decent set of batteries...

Many thanks!

I got my batteries and charger for my A80 at http://logicbattery.com/.

I think they had a good package selection at a fair price. No problem at all with ordering and shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by planetnine
    Thank you for all your advice, George, Rhys, Jim, speaklightly, and Jake!

I settled on the A80 and took the plunge yesterday, and this being my first digicam, I am really impressed so far. From talking with a few vendors, the A95 and A85 will be available in Canada in the next couple of weeks, and the stock of A80's is beginning to dry up. I got my A80 for $449 CAD, which is slightly cheaper than regular price. From what I have seen (informal research of course), the A85 will retail around $500 CAD, and the A95 around $700 CAD, so I didn't want to miss out on the swiveling LCD at a lower price...now I just have to find a decent set of batteries...

Many thanks!
    These guys are the best.

http://nimhbattery.com/batteries.htm

The MAHA C204F is one of the best. Get the highest mAh rating you can.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/