Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Unhappy Picture Quality - Help

Question, I just purchased the e500 and want to be impressed by it but I am finding myself to be very disappointed. So far the vividness of my old C740 is by far better. In order to even get the pics to be close to the c740 I have to turn up the saturation +2 and contrast +2, and over expose the pic +1 to get it light enough, however the picture is still very flat in color by comparison.

Secondly the red eye reduction flash seems to be totally worthless, taking the same pic with or without it makes absolutely no difference, fortunately the red-eye fix in the camera does a pretty good job.

Any input?

I can post pics later, at work right now, don't have them with me if that would help.
    Olympus Evolt E500 with 2 lens kit
    Olympus C740 Ultra Zoom

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion
    Question, I just purchased the e500 and want to be impressed by it but I am finding myself to be very disappointed. So far the vividness of my old C740 is by far better. In order to even get the pics to be close to the c740 I have to turn up the saturation +2 and contrast +2, and over expose the pic +1 to get it light enough, however the picture is still very flat in color by comparison.

Secondly the red eye reduction flash seems to be totally worthless, taking the same pic with or without it makes absolutely no difference, fortunately the red-eye fix in the camera does a pretty good job.
    Any input?
    Sorry, but welcome to the wonderful world of DSLRs. I think the E-500 is a great camera, but don't be surprised that you don't get perfect results without some work involved on your part. It's generally said that dSLRs are designed for people who want more control over their cameras, so their factory defaults are set flatter than the P&S cameras many people are used to. As a result, people sometimes get upset when their new dSLR photos don't automatically come out of the camera with the same verve and pop as before. I was the same--I had a C-755 (still have it) and I was surprised at how much work it took to get used to the new E-300 (especally for macros with the 50mm f2.0). If you don't like adjusting the saturation and sharpness in-camera, and don't like doing PP afterwardsl, then a dSLR may not be for you. There is a learning curve. I personally love to work with photos in the "computer darkroom"--in fact, when I take a picture that doesn't immediately jump out and tell me that it needs some kind of work, I don't consider myself a great photographer--I just wonder if I've lost my vision about what I'm trying to produce. So I don't find PP a pain, but different strokes for different folks.

As for red-eye reduction, that's pretty much a joke on any camera. You shouldn't seriously think it's going to do much good when the flash is still nearly in the same plane as the lens, and all it does is flash a flicker a bit before the main flash. It may work a tiny bit in helping stimulate people's irises to close before the main flash, but not much. I've never used red-eye reduction settings even on cameras that they were provided on, simply because I'd rather save the battery power for something more useful. If you want red-eye reduction, use a real flash (FL-36 or FL-50) that sticks up farther away from the lens, then learn to bounce it off the ceiling or use a diffuser, in short, learn more about the wonderful world of dSLR photography instead of thinking that the camera is going to be a miracle worker.

It's really sad in a way that the manufacturers even put these various exposure and flash modes on cameras since it sometimes lulls people into thinking that all they have to do is set to "sports mode" or "portrait mode" and everything will come out okay. Just ain't gonna happen.
    Having said that, it *could* be a problem with your new camera, so I would try posting some samples here if you're really concerned; also, I might try resetting the controls to factory default, and giving it a go once more from the beginning. Give yourself some time.

E-300 + ED 50mm f2.0, ISO 1600 (developed with Silkypix)
    "...and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
    Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

dSLR Control

Thank you for responding Norm. I do like having more control over my camera. I'm not new to SLR world, I had a film SLR first then went to digital p&s and then wanted back in to the SLR world. However, it just seems weird to me that on a vivid picture setting I still have to crank everything way up to actually have a vivid picture. Maybe I'm asking for to much but I would like a camera that has the ease of use of a p&s but also offers the manual control and versatility of an SLR. Interchangeable lenses, full manual modes, custom settings. I want it all I guess... My big concern is I don't mind touching up photos here and there but if I go out and take 200 + pics I don't want to have to adjust each picture. I would think that for the money spent on the camera some if not most of the shots should come out decently enough to keep as is. Thats where my problem lies. Am I wrong to think that 80 percent should look pretty good as is? Currently there isn't a shot fired that I would keep.

Mind if I ask some questions?

What software do you use for your computer dark room?
    Is the Olympus Master Plus worth it?
    What record mode should I shoot in? RAW, TIFF, SHQ, HQ

I have a Sandisk1 Gig CF Ultra 2 card.

Have already looked in to getting the FL50 flash...will be a few months before I can flip out that kind of money again though, then after that looking in to upgrading the lenses to the 14-54 and the 50 - 200 I have the 14-45 and the 40 - 150 now.
    Olympus Evolt E500 with 2 lens kit
    Olympus C740 Ultra Zoom