Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Is live preview going to catch on?

Now that Olympus have released a DSLR with Live preview are we going to see this feature adopted by other manufacturers?
    I for one can't comprend holding a DSLR at arms length and shooting the way most consumer digital cameras are used.

Of course it is going to catch on. You clearly have no experience with LCD viewing, it enables a LOT you can't do with a DSLR now.

Why do you feel you have to take all photos with the LCD when the camera offers that possibility? It is merely a tool for when it is needed. My camera has mirror lock up, yours does not. Does this mean I have to use it with every picture I make? no, I only use it when it is needed...

I have made a lot of photos with my S30 I can not make with my EOS 350D, for the simple fact that I can not get my head straight behind the viewfinder in all positions and situations. The LCD pre view is a big creative breakthrough for photography.

Just look at Olympus' ads for this camera, it illustrates well the use for LCD preview. The reason it is not found on todays DSLRs is a technological reason.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Quote Originally Posted by coldrain
    Of course it is going to catch on. You clearly have no experience with LCD viewing, it enables a LOT you can't do with a DSLR now.

Why do you feel you have to take all photos with the LCD when the camera offers that possibility? It is merely a tool for when it is needed. My camera has mirror lock up, yours does not. Does this mean I have to use it with every picture I make? no, I only use it when it is needed...
    As a matter of fact we have 5 cameras in the house that can use LCD viewing for taking images and I'm not sure what your basis for you to think I "clearly have no experience" is this area is.

I also don't recall saying that I thought ALL photos would be taken with the LCD viewfinder. What I actually said was that I can't comprend people taking images at arms length. Nowhere was "all" mentioned in that sentence. A DSLR is heavy and with a long lens it is front heavy. Holding one at arms length the way people to with P&S cameras will surely not be a way to get a steady stance for a sharp image. Maybe Canon owners are defy the laws of human anatomy in that regard but as I have no experience with Canon DSLR's I don't know.

The original purpose of starting this thread was to get the thoughts of fellow Nikon owners as to whether the live preview concept was going to catch on. Obviously if it does it will render all current DSLR's obsolete in the eyes of many consumers.
    Last edited by K1W1; 01-26-2006 at 04:14 AM.

I'd question battery life...

If people are complaining about only getting about 400 shots on a battery with the D200, I wonder what they are going to say when they have to drive live preview and two sensors. That LCD is as big as the D200's and nearly as many pixels. They should get about 156 shots in RAW on a 2gig CF card. If this thing uses power like I think it will, a battery per CF card is not totally out of the question.

It's an interesting concept, and I suspect that P&S users will snap'em up like hotcakes. I have my new camera, so I'll just watch this one from the sidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by K1W1
    As a matter of fact we have 5 cameras in the house that can use LCD viewing for taking images and I'm not sure what your basis for you to think I "clearly have no experience" is this area is.

I also don't recall saying that I thought ALL photos would be taken with the LCD viewfinder. What I actually said was that I can't comprend people taking images at arms length. Nowhere was "all" mentioned in that sentence. A DSLR is heavy and with a long lens it is front heavy. Holding one at arms length the way people to with P&S cameras will surely not be a way to get a steady stance for a sharp image. Maybe Canon owners are defy the laws of human anatomy in that regard but as I have no experience with Canon DSLR's I don't know.

The original purpose of starting this thread was to get the thoughts of fellow Nikon owners as to whether the live preview concept was going to catch on. Obviously if it does it will render all current DSLR's obsolete in the eyes of many consumers.
    Maybe it will catch on, and maybe it won't. But maybe it will spur-on the other guys to consider making a higher quality version of the Angleview.

Personally, I like the "bolt-on" approach for those occasional weird-angle shots, without having to sacrifice camera battery life. Like the right angle adapter before it, it is a much more elegant and practical approach without the Rube Goldberg design.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

I personally thinkg it will catch on slowly, and I think that it may even win over more of the market as the technology improves. I like thinking long term, and while it may seem laughable today that it could supplant optical view finders, it might given enough advances and improvements. If they they can do that and shoot battery life through the roof, I see no reason for it not to succeed.