Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

The Mountain Thread

Yes, I know there already is a landscape thread and I know that mountains are a type of landscape. However, I think moutains are such a remarkable and beautifull type of landscape that they deserve a thread of their own. Also, pictures of a mountanious landscape bring me in the right mood for wintersports (in about a month I'll go to Austria again to ski )

If you have some pictures of mountains, please post them in this thread. Here are some of mine to begin with.

The pictures I'll be posting I have made in Solden, Austria.

Here's the same mountain under slight different weather conditions .

And here is one of my panoramas

Very nice shots.

Here is a mountain that I visit occasionally, just to see if there is anything new growing there (and there usually is). Seems that a 17 mile circle of old-growth forest was destroyed by the mountain about 26 years ago.

The tree in the foreground is one of the victims.

P.S. Guess I need to label this one... Mount Saint Helens, Washington. The new dome is growing nicely. should be a full mountain again in about 200 years. About the same time the trees grow back.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by D70FAN; 01-24-2006 at 03:12 PM.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Mt. Crocodile, Battambang, NW Cambodia

I scanned this photo from film.
    December 2004.... and I knew nothing about photography but this photo will remains my favourite. This location has a whole range of legend and myth behind it and its breathtaking view is still being hidden from tourists; in fact, this could be the only photo ever taken of this mountain from this location.
    I can't wait to go back to the place armed with my Lumix.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Nice pictures Prospero. Tell me, is the 3rd picture you posted of the town at the bottom of the valley... is that Charmonix France? It sure looks like it. I love taking pictures of mountains. Thank you for starting this thread.

Hey,

Sweet shots Estoerra. #3 is my favorite. Well here's my contribution. Taken on top of Storm King Mt. (~2000 ft.) in Harriman State Park. That river is the Hudson. Too bad it was so damn hazy . Got some good waterfall pictures though because of the light, but thats for another thread . Taken with F100 and 24-85mm. Comments appreciated.

Andrew

Star Lake and Mt Madison NH

Southern Presidential Range

Franconia Ridge

-dave-

Dave,

I like your pictures of the Whites--some of my favorite places! What camera were you using and what were some of your settings?

Brian

Thanks for all your replies ! When I started this thread I never expected to get so many replies in such a short time. You have all posted really nice pictures.

Esotora, the village on the third picture is Sölden (Austria), not Charmonix. I googled Charmonix, though, and I must say it really looks like Sölden. It's a bit larger, however. I like the way you frame you pictures, by the way.

Here are some more of mine: