Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Holy Cow! I need some help over here. Panasonic FZ20 or Canon S2?

I got the S2 for Christmas now I have some serious buyers remorse. I never used the camera but I opened the manual packaging. Circuit City will probably try and make me pay a restocking fee unless I exchange it for a camera they sell. The Panasonic is $450 at CC as was the Canon.
    I was really undecided between the Pan and Canon but went with the Canon becuase it's lighter, has an awesome movie mode and I thought it would be easier to use.
    I currently own a 5 year old Olympus C-700. Now I'm thinking the Panasonic is a better choice as I can still use the Olympus when I don't want to carry around a larger camera. Also, I won't be heartbroken if the Olympus is harmed in any way.
    SO....what do all you guru's think? I know the Pan is more of a "photographers" camera which is why I'm leaning in that direction.
    Someone help a girl out here!
    Please and thanks,
    Tuesday.

Holy cow did not survive christmas. But why do you feel the FZ20 is "more" camera than the S2 IS? I personally was more impressed handling the S2 IS than the Panasonic FZ20. Also I do not like the menu system of the Panasonic at all, very customer appliance feel to it, micro waves and VCR's come to mind.

I like the colour balance of the S2 IS more, I find the FZ20 to give a slight rainy day feel in even the most sunny shots. Also the awesome swivel svreen of the S2 IS had me impressed. I adviced my collegue to get an FZ20 a year ago, and I helped a girl friend of mine buy a S2 IS, I handled and used both, and really like the S2 IS more, not that is does not have flaws, but I find it a very impressive package. The software for your computer from Canon also is better, and the Canon has a very good panoramic mode that helps you make panoramas, really a very nice feature.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

I would disagree that the FZ-20 is more of a "photographer's camera". I have a S2 along with two other Canon cameras - one of which is a SLR. I believe the Canon to be a fantastic camera, period. That being said, I have been recommending that people consider the FZ-20 due to the great price point right now - $389 no tax, no shipping, included rechargeable battery and FREE 512MB SD card. It is a great buy right now.

You were fortunate enough to be already blessed with an S2, don't take it back now - sleep with it under your pillow for crying out loud!
    Last edited by TampaJim; 12-29-2005 at 04:15 PM.
    Canon S2 w Raynox DCR1540PRO 1.54X Teleconverter
    Hoya UV, Hoya Polarizer on Lensmate Attachments
    Tamrac 5683 with Tamrac SAS Med Lens Case

It took me a few minutes to figure out the photo posting, etc. But here is are a couple of shots I took a few hours ago at 12X zoom with the Canon S2. They have only been slightly cropped and then resized for the posting process - no retouching was done.

Still want to take the camera back?
    Last edited by TampaJim; 12-29-2005 at 06:09 PM.
    Canon S2 w Raynox DCR1540PRO 1.54X Teleconverter
    Hoya UV, Hoya Polarizer on Lensmate Attachments
    Tamrac 5683 with Tamrac SAS Med Lens Case

tampa jim...i'm from tampa too.

if you get a chance, please look at my thread on the 'what camera do i buy' forum and help me solve my little crisis.
    thanx, arden

Thou Shalt Not Commit Adulthood.

Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim
    It took me a few minutes to figure out the photo posting, etc. But here is a shot I took a few hours ago at 12X zoom with the Canon S2. It has only been slightly cropped and then resized for the posting process - no retouching was done.

Still want to take the camera back?
    No photo is showing in my browser? No idea why not, it shows when I copied the URL.... strange. Anyway, in case that is not just with me, here is the URL:
    http://home.tampabay.rr.com/jgamble2/leopardsmall.jpg
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

TampaJim?

hey, tampajim...or coldrain, iposted on the thread "i want a cheap one..." could you take a look and help me out?

Thou Shalt Not Commit Adulthood.

All I meant was the Panasonic has a couple of extras the Canon doesn't. I figured it might be a better option for me since I'm looking for something to grow and learn with. I won't be getting another camera for at least 5 more years.
    They are both great. I still have no clue what I want.
    Jim, thanks for posting those pics. They are beautiful!
    Maybe I'll put it under my pillow and sleep on it.

What extras does the FZ20 have that the S2 IS does not have? On the moment I can think of exactly NONE....

The S2 IS has a better movie mode with stereo sound and silent zoom during movie mode... thats an extra.
    The S2 IS has a more complete software package, with possibility to make a photo via the computer, anothe extra.
    It has a great panorama mode that lets you take shots into every direction to later stitch together, another extra.
    It has an LCD that allows you to see what you do when you make a photo of yourself, or which allows you to see over peoples heads, or around a corner, or frog perspective when the grass is wet and you do not want to lay down... I call that extra too.
    The S2 IS can have its IS turned off in one direction, making panning with IS possible.
    The S2 IS uses AA batteries, can be a plus when you are on vacation and forgot to recharge and you do not want to wait till you were at the hotel for hours to recharge.

Oh wait, I thought of an extra of the FZ20, it has a hot shoe to put an external flash on top.

Alright alright! lol. I get it. Thanks.