Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Help with manual settings for moon shots?

Hi,

The camera I use is S1 IS. I need some help with manual settings for moon shots.

When I take moon pictures, I first try 1/500 to 1/800 in Shutter Priority Mode. I also try full Manual mode with shutter 1/500 to 1/800 and Aperture between F5.6 and F8 (I try various apertures between 5.6 to 8 with no luck).

The problem is that in Shutter Priority mode, the camera AF doesn't work. Focus never locks. So I try manual focus (in both Tv and M modes), set it to infinity. When I do that, moon looks nice and sharp on camera's LCD. But when I view it on computer, it looks blurry as in out of focus image.

Are there specific settings I should try? E.g. ISO xxx @ 1/xxx shutter @ Fx.x @ manual focus xx ft? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by zero
    Hi,

The camera I use is S1 IS. I need some help with manual settings for moon shots.

When I take moon pictures, I first try 1/500 to 1/800 in Shutter Priority Mode. I also try full Manual mode with shutter 1/500 to 1/800 and Aperture between F5.6 and F8 (I try various apertures between 5.6 to 8 with no luck).

The problem is that in Shutter Priority mode, the camera AF doesn't work. Focus never locks. So I try manual focus (in both Tv and M modes), set it to infinity. When I do that, moon looks nice and sharp on camera's LCD. But when I view it on computer, it looks blurry as in out of focus image.

Are there specific settings I should try? E.g. ISO xxx @ 1/xxx shutter @ Fx.x @ manual focus xx ft? Please help.
    You don't state wheter you're using a tripod or not. You MUST use a tripod. Also, use Spot metering. This was shot with an S2 a f/7.2 at 1/200:

If you had done a Canon forum seach, you would have found that there was an S2 moon thread already, and you wouldn't have to clog up the works with a redundent thread. The search tool is your friend. But, since we're here...here's the link to Canon forum moon thread which has some tips and good examples: http://www.dcresource.com/forums/sho...highlight=moon

And, here's a link to the moon thread in the photo gallery. Plenty of tips there as well:
    http://www.dcresource.com/forums/sho...highlight=moon

"This was shot with an S2 a f/7.2 at 1/200:"

I have tried these settings you mention but seem to have a different s2 and wont set to those settigs it will only do 50 iso and 1/200 @ 7/1. I am new to this but are you sure you are correct?

Nice picture though.

Quote Originally Posted by JTL
    You don't state wheter you're using a tripod or not. You MUST use a tripod. Also, use Spot metering. This was shot with an S2 a f/7.2 at 1/200:

If you had done a Canon forum seach, you would have found that there was an S2 moon thread already, and you wouldn't have to clog up the works with a redundent thread.
    Thanks for the tip about settings. I didn't use a tripod because I thought that speeds of 1/500 and 1/800 were quite fast. I can actually take pretty good shots at even 0.5s to 0.7s.

Yes, there is a moon thread but it didn't really answer the focus question. Therefore the new thread. The picture always seemed out of focus even when focus is set to infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by tranor
    "This was shot with an S2 a f/7.2 at 1/200:"

I have tried these settings you mention but seem to have a different s2 and wont set to those settigs it will only do 50 iso and 1/200 @ 7/1. I am new to this but are you sure you are correct?

Nice picture though.
    Jeeeezzzzzzzzzzz! F/7.2 WAS A TYPO! You know, the number one is right next to the number two...I am not an in infallable being, whatever you may think (personally I'm flattered, though ). Isn't it reasonable to expect that I meant 7.1??? So, for the record, it was shot at f/7.1 @ 1/200.

I mean really...

And thanks for the "qualified" compliment (your sarcastic addition of the "though" was a nice touch). In essence what you're really saying nice picture even though you supplied incorrect information, right? Whatever...
    Last edited by JTL; 01-22-2006 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zero
    Thanks for the tip about settings. I didn't use a tripod because I thought that speeds of 1/500 and 1/800 were quite fast. I can actually take pretty good shots at even 0.5s to 0.7s.

Yes, there is a moon thread but it didn't really answer the focus question. Therefore the new thread. The picture always seemed out of focus even when focus is set to infinity.
    You will never get a clear shot without a tripod...

seems someone has mistaken my innocence for sarcasim, but hey i really am new to this and sorry if i have offended anyone Maybe i should use smileys to highlight what exactly i mean aye: My bad.
    Remove the Though and its still a cool picture imo..

Please remember when you use a lens to magnify the moon you are also magnifying the rotation of the earth - You will get motion blur from the moons apparent movement do to the earth's rotation if you use shutter speeds below 1/100 second. I have not tested this exclusively so I can't tell you exactly at what speed, but if you look some of your photos around or below 1/100, you will see the features of the moon go from soft to blurry the slower the shutter speed you use. The moon is bright enough on most evenings to allow you to use F8 with a shutter speed of at least 1/500 depending on ISO setting. Of course you will have to use manual settings for this as the camera will want to over expose the moon because of all the dark night sky in the frame.
    Nikon D90 | Sigma 10-20 HSM | DX 18-105 f3.5-5.6 VR | DX 55-200 VR | 35 f/2.0 D | 50 f/1.4 D | 85mm F/1.8 D | SB-800 x 3 | SU-800
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Flickr | Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by tranor
    seems someone has mistaken my innocence for sarcasim, but hey i really am new to this and sorry if i have offended anyone Maybe i should use smileys to highlight what exactly i mean aye: My bad.
    Remove the Though and its still a cool picture imo..
    Hey, I'm just a wacko nut, sorry...

Thanks again...

This thread, although referring to the Panasonic series of cameras may help you, most EXIF's of the photos are posted with the picture. Hope it helps you!

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16054