Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Smile I need advise on modes

Hi there! I'll be having a birthday party soon and its at night. I've been trying the night mode or with the no flash but the photo(people) turn out to be yellowish or its too dark. if i put the flash on the back is dark and the people are over exposed. all the while i have difficulties taking night photo.I'm not sure how to manually select the best mode. PLease do advise me on this.
    thank you very much.

Michelle

What camera do you have?
    Night mode on some cameras means outdoors scenery, be aware. From the characteristic you described: "I've been trying the night mode or with the no flash but the photo(people) turn out to be yellowish or its too dark. if i put the flash on the back is dark and the people are over exposed."; I think it is the NIGHT SCENERY mode.
    What's your reason that you don't use the flash? You have to use flash indoors unless you have legitimate reasons not to. If you have doubt re. which mode just turn it to auto mode (not Night Mode) and let the camera decided for you.
    Hope my reply is not too late for that birthday.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Thank you for the advise

Hi TIM, I'm grateful for the advise u had given to me which have answer my question. the reason i'm not using flash indoor is because the background will be very dark. I'm using both canon ixus-i and sony DSC-F828. I'm fond of taking photograph but not skilled and not familiar with the mode and function, therefore i need more advise. And i'm new to photography. Anyway I'm really thankful for ur help, indeed!!

Michelle

Itan, you can also adjust the color fairly easily in post processing. One problem you might have is that as you move through the party the light can change from quite cold to warmer. With Photoshop, which I don't use, or other editing programs it is usually pretty easy to adjust the color.

To avoid the yellowish colour, you can fiddle around with the white balance in your camera. You should also try shooting in the higher ISO your camera has, and then taking care of the noise with software.
    Cameras: Nikon F80 // Nikon D80 // Panasonic FZ-5
    Lenses: Nikkor 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5D IF // Tokina 12-24mm f/4 AT-X Pro DX
    Accesories: SB600 // Vivitar 285HV // Sanyo Eneloops // Hoya/Tiffen UVs // 512Mb, 1Gb, 2Gb SDs // SimpleTech 160Gb External HD

flickr | deviantART

thank you all very much for the help ! i really appreciate it ... i will try the ways all of u have suggested, *cross my fingers* hope my photo will look great at the party !

Michelle

I'd just like to add, the reason that they're overexposed with flash is because the camera is exposing for no artificial light (flash) You are tricking the computer in your camera with setting it to night mode and using flash. The yellowish tint is most likely because the mode is meant for outdoors shooting, and not for the light bulbs in your house, white balance may fix this, it may not either. I think that your best bet would be too just use a flash, or higher ISO (which would result in more noise) or have sufficient lighting in the area. 'Night' mode simply isn't meant for indoor shooting.

Try using tranluscent tape and a piece or two of tissue paper over the flash taped right over the flash, this will soften the flash quite a bit and give a more natural feel to it. Try using AV mode, then you can set the aperture for as low as possible and the shutter speed will be automatically selected for proper exposure.
    good luck
    Ken
    Canon dSLR User