Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Factory Authorized Service for Canon A80

Is there no way to get factory authorized service on my still-under-warranty Canon A80 other than to send it to Canon? That is what they tell me.

After taking photos at my son's wedding, I recharged the batteries and tried to power the camera on. But it won't power on. Called Canon and tried the two suggestions they had (try different batteries, take the memory card out), but it still won't power on. They say send it to them and that there is no place in the country to get service other than Elk Grove Village, IL.

To add to this, when I contacted Circuit City (where it was purchased) they say that since it is still under manufacturer's warranty, I have to send it to Canon myself.

I live in the Houston area and am amazed if there is no where here to get service. What am I overlooking, if anything?

When mine developed a hotpixel Amazon changed it without question, they never even mentioned canon so it looks like a dealer choice.
    John

Point taken. I will be more selective of the vendor next time when I make a purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by tobriant
    Is there no way to get factory authorized service on my still-under-warranty Canon A80 other than to send it to Canon? That is what they tell me.

After taking photos at my son's wedding, I recharged the batteries and tried to power the camera on. But it won't power on. Called Canon and tried the two suggestions they had (try different batteries, take the memory card out), but it still won't power on. They say send it to them and that there is no place in the country to get service other than Elk Grove Village, IL.

To add to this, when I contacted Circuit City (where it was purchased) they say that since it is still under manufacturer's warranty, I have to send it to Canon myself.

I live in the Houston area and am amazed if there is no where here to get service. What am I overlooking, if anything?
    There are very few repair stations for consumer grade cameras (digital or film) because it costs a pretty fair amount to equip and man a full-fledged repair/replacement station.

For cunsumer cameras the inventory alone, would be massive. Canon, for example, currently has 30-40 models to support, with new ones being released almost monthly. In additon to having a staff of trained (continuously) repair technicians, they would have to stock a full line of replacement cameras in the event that the returned camera was beyond repair. Additionally most people will give up on a repair that costs $100 to $200 on a camera that cost $300-$500. So that's why there is generally only 1 repair station per market/region.

For professional cameras there are generally regional, mainly independent, authorized repair stations. But in this case charging $200-$500 to repair a camera that cost $1500-$8000 is a whole different situation, and typically there are only 4 or 5 models of each brand to stock parts for. In fact if you put together all of the digital pro dSLR models out there, you would be hard-pressed to come up with 20 models total, and typically lenses and lens related problems are not an issue, so subtract about 50% of the parts inventory right there.

So that is why you have to send your camera to Elk Grove (just outside of Chicago) for repair, instead of being able to get it fixed locally. Hey it could be worse, as you could have to send it to China.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/