Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardinal Nest

Cardinal Nest

I have now set the interval timer to every 10 seconds. If I can find an excuse to be near the house around lunch I am nearly filling two 16GB cards. The camera is running ~1200 photos on the current settings. I am afraid to set the timer for many more since I do not want to find out what happens if the battery dies while writing to the card.

There are a lot of throw aways everyday. My windows are facing the sun in the morning and they are old double pane glass - lots of glare that cannot be eliminated with a polarizer. Of course, the glare is at its worst when there is good feeding action. Near midday I get very harsh contrast through the holly bush. Later in the day the filtered light is a ghastly green, might as well be bad florescent. Still I get a few everyday that are keepers and it is fun to watch the feeding and parental care patterns.

We are having a short cold snap today and tomorrow. Hopefully the chicks will be okay in the morning it is going to get to the mid 30's tonight.

Just thought this was funny. The male is just arriving and you swear she is saying, "where the heck have you been all day! I have been sitting on these brats for the entire morning while you are out eating and drinking with your friends."
    Attached Images Attached Images  

They are getting big enough to annoy mom from below.

Not great, but the best 'family portrait' so far.

I think they are brilliant well worth the effort kg keep it up.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Glare from nearly direct sun on my window is killing a most shots from mid-morning. No way to add a shade outside without bothering the nest. Although I sure would like to have a combo shade and reflector to even out the light, but I am certain that my models would squawk! My wife was home for the day and changed cards and batteries so I have +3000 files to sort through. I am going to blow out my shutter on this adventure.

Anyway, here are two from the first card. The first had very uneven glare/haze that I tried to clean up, but it was too good a pose to pass up.

Once in a while I get a decent pose and some great texture in the feathers like this shot.

The chicks have gotten quite a bit bigger and stronger. They were both standing up at times today.

The shots are definitely getting better kg. It's amaizing to think that such ugly chicks turn into such beautiful birds.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Thanks Phill. This morning I was able to tape a cardboard box on the outside of the window to cut the glare. Hopefully it will stay stuck in place; it fell once so far. The birds don't really like me out there. So far this helped in the morning. Before I put it up I caught the mom on the far side of the nest in a decent pose.