Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

View Poll Results: What computer do you use?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have a PC and Iím happy with it.

46 63.01%
  • I have a PC, but Iím considering a Mac.

9 12.33%
  • I have a Mac and Iím happy with it.

18 24.66%
  • I have a Mac, but Iím considering a PC.

0 0%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

What kind of computer do you use?

There’s a discussion on another board regarding switching from a PC to Mac. There seems to be a perception that a lot of photographers use Macs and I wanted to check out that premise. With that, what is your current computer preference/situation?

-murray

I have a modified Dell desktop and a Mac laptop (PowerBook G4 12"). This is the first Mac I've owned. I left the Dell in storage when I moved if that tells you anything
    Jason
    http://www.jmodzikphoto.com
    Save $5 on Zenfolio using RKS-T9C-M8G
    Flickr
    D200 - Tokina 12-24 - Sigma 30/1.4 - 50/1.8 - 55/3.5 Ai Micro w/PK-13 - 70-300 VR - SB-600 - Gitzo GT2530 + Markins M10

Quote Originally Posted by Jason25
    I have a modified Dell desktop and a Mac laptop (PowerBook G4 12"). This is the first Mac I've owned. I left the Dell in storage when I moved if that tells you anything
    Opps, I guess I should have had an option for using both platforms

If you have both a Mac and a PC, please vote for the platform you use the most or that you prefer to use.

-murray

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Now there are intel based Macs, you can run OSX, Linux and Windows on the same system.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys
    Now there are intel based Macs, you can run OSX, Linux and Windows on the same system.
    http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,124370,00.asp

as for the windows part of that equation, EFI seems to be a small speed bump, but just as the article says, its only a matter of time.

But, As for me. I have been wanting to test out Mac for a while now and I believe that the new intel macs are whats going to get me to make the financial leap! But, I have plenty of Windows systems, I'd never make my Mac a dual boot.

I think I will be making my Mac debut with their newer MacBook Pro, the one with 1.83Ghz duo processor, I'll add 2 GB of ram, the faster 7,200 RPM 100 GB harddrive. I'm really excited about this laptop and can't wait until I can afford one. . .
    Nikon D90 | Sigma 10-20 HSM | DX 18-105 f3.5-5.6 VR | DX 55-200 VR | 35 f/2.0 D | 50 f/1.4 D | 85mm F/1.8 D | SB-800 x 3 | SU-800
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Flickr | Twitter

I have had macs for over 10 years now, and I always have preferred them over wintel computers. As software developer I of course work with wintel computers, but at home I have macs.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

An excellent essay explaining the differences

Ken Rockwell wrote an in depth essay on this subject. It is rather long but I believe he presents a real-world comparison between the two platforms as they relate to photography.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/why-pros-use-mac.htm

In the past I have used pc's and today I continue to use pcs. Today my mind is beginning to change with the introduction of the new Intel powered macs. My main reason to sticking to pc's was the ability to play video games on the system. Now that I dont have a desire to play much video games my priorities have pointed a little closer to the mac corner. Im leaning over to macs a little more now that working with pictures has taken a larger chunk of my hobby interests.
    If given the choice (and unlimited funding) I would use both mac and pc's to get the best of both worlds. Since thats not true my next computer, though thats probably not going to happen for a while since mine works just fine, will be a mac.

Now that they have a competent, high speed, low power, solution for laptop use, my next laptop may well be a Mac. My old 4 pound Twinhead has been a great travel companion, but it may be time to shift gears. Depends on how much they want for the G4 replacement.

For desktop use the AMD 2800+PC and Win 2K work fine.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    I can't wait to go Mac. I've just set up a wifi network in my house so that my wife and I can surf at the same time. She said "no" to a cabled network and as luck would have it, we were given a wifi hub by her mother who couldn't get it to work. A fair bit of cursing later we have a working wifi network currently named "General Cornwallis"