Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Let's not forget D50 has a few big benefits including superior flash technology, auto ISO (which is just a fantastic feature canon needs to put in) and as mentioned the LED based AF assist.

It's a tossup really, canon probably comes out on top but not by much depends on what lenses you want and how far you want to go.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timmciglobal
    Let's not forget D50 has a few big benefits including superior flash technology, auto ISO (which is just a fantastic feature canon needs to put in) and as mentioned the LED based AF assist.

It's a tossup really, canon probably comes out on top but not by much depends on what lenses you want and how far you want to go.

Tim
    Auto ISO is a very nice feature I use it all the time for snapshots. Canon could easily implement this feature also, since their cameras are good at high ISO as well.
    Jason
    http://www.jmodzikphoto.com
    Save $5 on Zenfolio using RKS-T9C-M8G
    Flickr
    D200 - Tokina 12-24 - Sigma 30/1.4 - 50/1.8 - 55/3.5 Ai Micro w/PK-13 - 70-300 VR - SB-600 - Gitzo GT2530 + Markins M10

I wish my XT had Auto ISO as well but I wouldn't give it up just for that feature. It'd just be nice to have. In the meantime I can change ISO myself.
    Ouch.

You can change ISO true, but you'd be amazed how much it helps (especially in that the auto ISO can step in very small incriments instead of "800 or 1600" you can get ISO 1000 or ISO 1120 etc)

A 8 megapixel version of D50 with a lit LCD and it would be perfect. That being said, there is an advantage nikon has in some consumer lens quality, though canon holds the edge in L glass.

Tim

Agreed regarding the auto iso, before the *ist DS V2 firmware I didn't think I needed (or would use it), but now I would hate to be without it...
    ------
    Joel - Canon 50d, EF16-35/2.8 Mk1, Σ 50/1.4, EF100/2.8 Macro, EF70-200/4 IS, 430EX II
    http://www.eisner.id.au

Quote Originally Posted by jeisner
    Agreed regarding the auto iso, before the *ist DS V2 firmware I didn't think I needed (or would use it), but now I would hate to be without it...
    So, jeisner... Have you looked at the new Samsung dSLR? Pentax mount. But the better news is the Schneider Kreuznach D-Xenon lens system is part of the package. Seems to me that it should be cross platform since Pentax is in on the deal.

Looks pretty interesting.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0601/06...amsunggx1s.asp
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Are you able to manually step down the iso in small increments without the "auto iso" function, or is that an "auto" only perk?

thanks for the replys ^^
    ~mike

It's auto only, the ISO stops in 2/4/8/1600.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm
    So, jeisner... Have you looked at the new Samsung dSLR? Pentax mount. But the better news is the Schneider Kreuznach D-Xenon lens system is part of the package. Seems to me that it should be cross platform since Pentax is in on the deal.

Looks pretty interesting.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0601/06...amsunggx1s.asp
    Hey George its all very unexciting at this point... :-/

The camera is a rebadged Pentax *ist DS2 and the two lenses are actually rebadged Pentax DA lenses... I can't believe Schneider did that, it seems stupid but they are definately Pentax lenses. I am hoping that Schneider do continue to develop 'their own' new lenses for Samsung/Pentax though, I am pretty happy with my Penatx glass, but more choice is never a bad thing...

The mount is a standard Pentax KAF mount and so the lenses are interchangable between Samsung and Pentax... That was what Samsung wanted, an existing mount as starting from scratch would have been crazy.. And I think Pentax needs to cut reliance on Sony, and hopefully Samsung R&D can develop some decent sensors..

Samsung did announce in October they were joining with Pentax and would re-release a pentax model under their own brand in 2006 (GX-1S)... They also said they would release two new jointly devloped cameras with pentax in 2006... One is an updated low end (DS/DL) and the other is a sub-US$1700 semi-pro... I assume that is the D replacement??? There is also strong rumours that the two new Pentax/Samsung cameras will have SR (Shake reduction) at the sensor level...

So this year seems rather exciting, despite this first anti-climax...

P.S. I should be getting a sample of the new Samsung GX-1S through work, so I can compare it to my DS and see if there is any difference at all. But looking at the specs I doubt it (other than 2" vs/ 2.5" LCD)
    Last edited by jeisner; 01-18-2006 at 11:50 PM.
    ------
    Joel - Canon 50d, EF16-35/2.8 Mk1, Σ 50/1.4, EF100/2.8 Macro, EF70-200/4 IS, 430EX II
    http://www.eisner.id.au

I am going to say that between the two its a toss-up at best. The D50 or 350D, flip a coin. but before it lands, just as many wise people here said, analyze each manufactures lens availabilities and prices and also their respective flash systems. once you have that knowledge you'll decide which camera to assign heads or tails.

Depending on which lenses are used with either camera are the most important decisions. You will spend more time with this than the decision on the camera body. Just as it was mentioned before that your lenses will, hopefully, carry you through many different bodies in the future and to be honest, there is no substitute here for quality. I found that Canon's lens lineup appealled more to me than Nikon's. Ofcourse at the time that could have been inexperience. Whatever the case is either system will prove to be extremely useful and you will really enjoy it. As many wise people said to me when I was where you are, just make a choice and start taking pictures, you can't go wrong [but there will always be plenty of people to tell you otherwise.] - probably not here though. Good luck Mike with your choice. Alot of good wisdom and unbaised opinion heres for you.
    Nikon D90 | Sigma 10-20 HSM | DX 18-105 f3.5-5.6 VR | DX 55-200 VR | 35 f/2.0 D | 50 f/1.4 D | 85mm F/1.8 D | SB-800 x 3 | SU-800
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Flickr | Twitter