Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Canon's Digi RBL XT vs. Nikon's D50

So i am new to the DSLR market, however i have done some beginer Studio photograph as well as owned a 35mm SLR.

I am planning on purchasing a DSLR, I have been doing some research and i am narrowing my choices down to the Canon Digital Rebel XT 350d or the Nikon D50.

Now i have done some research and believe that the Canon does have better features and has better photo quality than the D50. This would be expected with a good price difference between the two. With my current budget it would be a lot easier to purchase the D50, but i am wondering if in the long run i will regret not getting the 350d. Is the 350D worth saving the extra couple hundred for in features and picture quality?

I just don't want to regret a D50 purchase once i get comfortable with the camera and think that i should have made a 350D purchase.

Thanks for any advice
    -Mike

Both are very nice cameras. The 350D is more complete, yes. It has mirror lock up, to avoid mirror snapping open vibration while taking long exposure photos, for instance at night. It has aperture check, you can close the aperture to check the depth of field before you make a photo. It has ISO100. It has good RAW conversion software with it, Nikon wants an extra 100$ for their good RAW conversion software. It has a sharpness depth automatic mode. It lights its info LCD at night. Its white balance is better adjustable.
    The D50 can have a slight tendency for moire with certain patterns. The 350D has a slight resolution advantage (8mp), the D50 applies more sharpning to make up for that.

The D50 feels more sturdy. The D50 is a bit more reliable with AF with certain lenses. Both have good, accurate colours, and both like to slightly over expose. If you can not make up your mind, go see them and some lenses in person.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Oh, a big plus of the Nikon D50 is.... that it has a less silly name!
    In Europe the Canon Digital Rebel XT is called Canon EOS 350D, a normal, fine name. Why did Canon US feel the need to introduce silly names for their lower end SLR's like "Rebel" and "Elan"?

But it could always be worse... like Canon Kiss n Digital (its name in Asia).

Or Pentax *istDS for that matter . Imagine trying to get that out of your mouth when they ask you what camera you have
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKS
    So i am new to the DSLR market, however i have done some beginer Studio photograph as well as owned a 35mm SLR.

I am planning on purchasing a DSLR, I have been doing some research and i am narrowing my choices down to the Canon Digital Rebel XT 350d or the Nikon D50.

Now i have done some research and believe that the Canon does have better features and has better photo quality than the D50. This would be expected with a good price difference between the two. With my current budget it would be a lot easier to purchase the D50, but i am wondering if in the long run i will regret not getting the 350d. Is the 350D worth saving the extra couple hundred for in features and picture quality?

I just don't want to regret a D50 purchase once i get comfortable with the camera and think that i should have made a 350D purchase.

Thanks for any advice
    -Mike
    If you can handle (pun intended) the ergonomics of the 350D it will produce great photos at a fairly decent price. Like Nikon the 18-55 kit lens leaves a lot to be desired, and the biggest difference you will get in picture quality is lens based rather than camera based. The resolution difference is is debateable, but the 350D is 8MP and the 50D is 6MP. Printed, it is not likely you will see much difference between the two.

As coldrain pointed out Nikon omitted the depth of field preview (which most people don't use anyway) and the info LCD backlight (this omission was rather goofy, but I digress). For the difference in price carry a penlight.

The D50 is a very good entry dSLR, that will give the average family photographer some great results, and allows you to grow into a serious hobby.
    Had Canon spent a little more time on ergonomics it would make this decision a lot easier... as it is an arguably better camera, at a higher price.

You might want to revisit the Minolta 5D and the Pentax *istDS as well.

You really can't make a bad decision here, so go with the camera you like.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Oh geez... I'm such a dolt.... i just saw the "What camera i should buy" thread right below this one. Sorry bout that guys

Coldrain and George Thanks much for your replys. I think i'm going check out some of these camera in person at the stores myself.. maybe then i can make a decision.

Coldrain i do have to agree with you about the names... i mean how the hell do you phonetically pronounce *istDS to someone?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKS
    Oh geez... I'm such a dolt.... i just saw the "What camera i should buy" thread right below this one. Sorry bout that guys

Coldrain and George Thanks much for your replys. I think i'm going check out some of these camera in person at the stores myself.. maybe then i can make a decision.

Coldrain i do have to agree with you about the names... i mean how the hell do you phonetically pronounce *istDS to someone?
    - In person is the only way to go, as how the camera feels and your control preferences are also a big factor.

- You're welcome and hope it helps.

- It helps to speak German... Ist das korrekt? Having a camera named "is" may be a little strange. I wonder how well these sell in Germany? Not shure where the askerisk fits in.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

I had the same problem of which camera. After reading many posts here, & many visits to the local shop, I bought the Nikon D50 with the Sigma lens.
    Very Happy!

Look into the lenses before buying either camera as well. The body will be replaced anyway eventually, the lenses will be around for awhile. If you shoot flash a lot (guessing you do, if you do studio work), look into each company's flash system as well.
    Jason
    http://www.jmodzikphoto.com
    Save $5 on Zenfolio using RKS-T9C-M8G
    Flickr
    D200 - Tokina 12-24 - Sigma 30/1.4 - 50/1.8 - 55/3.5 Ai Micro w/PK-13 - 70-300 VR - SB-600 - Gitzo GT2530 + Markins M10

Just got the

D50 last week and love it! Of course I'm just taking photos of my 9 month old, but they are sooooooo much better than my old point and shoot. Good luck!
    Carol

Like I said before, both are good cameras.I would choose the 350D again, if I started over. One weird thing I have noticed from these boards, a number of D50 owners have strange pink showing up on (very few) photos, in very different situations. Have the other D50 owners here seen any unusual colours or spots?