Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: d50 to d70s?

d50 to d70s?

I bought a d50 over a d70s back in December thinking it would be more than enough camera for me to get started with (and it definetly is), as I am a newbie to the photography arena. I have fallen in love with this stuff and now that I'm looking into speedlights, I'm contemplating going to the d70s with a SB-600/800 to take advantage of the built in flash commander the d50 lacks. A d200 is a bit out of my price range as I am still very amature at this stage. In you're opinions, is it worth it to mess with an upgrade between these two cameras? Thanks for your thoughts!
    Having fun...learning...

If you like moire, less accurate colours and slow USB 1.1, I would say go for it!

Have you asked yourself why you want a built in flash commander? Just because you read about it?
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Quote Originally Posted by uncle_b
    I bought a d50 over a d70s back in December thinking it would be more than enough camera for me to get started with (and it definetly is), as I am a newbie to the photography arena. I have fallen in love with this stuff and now that I'm looking into speedlights, I'm contemplating going to the d70s with a SB-600/800 to take advantage of the built in flash commander the d50 lacks. A d200 is a bit out of my price range as I am still very amature at this stage. In you're opinions, is it worth it to mess with an upgrade between these two cameras? Thanks for your thoughts!
    The SB800 has the Commander function built-in, the SB600 does not. Get the SB800 and stay with your D50. No need to change cameras.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Quote Originally Posted by uncle_b
    It's the D200 that has the commander mode built into the camera. This mode allows the camera to act as commander for SB800/600/R200 speedlights. I have an SB800 and I've played with this a little bit, but I'm still in the learning stage with it.

The advantage to this is you can move the lighting off the camera, so that you can get the best possible lighting on the subject while leaving the camera free to choose the desired shot angle and framing, independant of the lighting. But, to maximize this capability, you probably need two or three flash units, depending on your subject. Even then, you don't really want to equate this to a pro setup. There's way more you would have to do to approach what the pros use in a studio.

The D70(s) and D50 can, I believe, both take relatively equal advantage of the capabilities of the SB800, which, when on the camera, provides commander mode. Of course, if you only want it in commander mode, and not firing the flash, then you will need additional flash units for it to command. I haven't read the manual for the D50, so I don't know how accurate all this is.

Let's quit confusing uncle_b.

- The D70, D70s, D200, and D2X all have the speedlight Commander control built in.

- The D50 does not have Commander control.

- The SB800 has Commander control built in (best for D50, provides higher flash power but redundant Commander control function for the D70, D70s, D200 and D2X).

- The SB600 does not have Commander control (good for remotes or with D70, D70s, D200, or D2X).

The best, and most cost effective, choice to add speedlight Commander control, when using the D50, is the SB800.

You can also opt to use the SU-800 Commander control unit (~$270) and SB600's as the remotes. This is used more for other specialized speedlight systems, and arrays.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

Quote Originally Posted by erichlund
    It's the D200 that has the commander mode built into the camera. This mode allows the camera to act as commander for SB800/600/R200 speedlights. I have an SB800 and I've played with this a little bit, but I'm still in the learning stage with it.
    The D70, D70s, and D2X, also have Commander mode built in.

The advantage to this is you can move the lighting off the camera, so that you can get the best possible lighting on the subject while leaving the camera free to choose the desired shot angle and framing, independant of the lighting. But, to maximize this capability, you probably need two or three flash units, depending on your subject. Even then, you don't really want to equate this to a pro setup. There's way more you would have to do to approach what the pros use in a studio.
    Set up correctly, the Commander controlled multi flash system can be, and are, used in professional studio setups. And indoor pro sports shooters have been using similar (uncontrolled) remote speedlight arrays for years.

The D70(s) and D50 can, I believe, both take relatively equal advantage of the capabilities of the SB800, which, when on the camera, provides commander mode. Of course, if you only want it in commander mode, and not firing the flash, then you will need additional flash units for it to command. I haven't read the manual for the D50, so I don't know how accurate all this is.
    The SB800 Commander Control feature is redundant on the D70 and D70s. The D50 can actually take advantage of the SB800's Commander control.
    Ha! See, I can change...

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate the feedback.
    Having fun...learning...

George, you're right, my bad.

I had an SB-28 with the D70, so I never gave this much thought. I'm just starting to play with it with the D200. However, they didn't get my D70 manual and I looked it up. The only difference between the D70 and the D200, as far as I can tell, is that the D200 can control two groups of remote lights, where all the lights have to be in the same group with the D70. The only advantage I see, off the top of my head, is using different levels of flash power for the different groups.

While it's true that they can be and are used by pros, they generally are going to provide less control than a professional lighting system working off main power. In particular, this allows the lighting system to be used for modelling light, something a battery powered flash just cannot do.

Cheers,
    Eric

Just to throw in my 2 cents...

I bought the D70s partly because of the remote flash feature. I knew the D50 would be enough camera for me, but, in general, I like to get the better tool if it's still in my price range.

I don't think the remote flash is all that great. I have an SB600, but I'm unlikely to purchase more flash units just for this purpose. A couple features that the D70s has over the D50 that I HAVE used:

-Second command dial.

-White balance fine tuning.

-Illuminated top LCD panel.

Is that worth the price to upgrade? Probably not to me. Personally, I think I would wait for the next round of Nikon upgrades when you could get something better for even less cash or get a D70s at closeout prices.

-murray

Quote Originally Posted by murrays
    Just to throw in my 2 cents...

I bought the D70s partly because of the remote flash feature. I knew the D50 would be enough camera for me, but, in general, I like to get the better tool if it's still in my price range.

I don't think the remote flash is all that great. I have an SB600, but I'm unlikely to purchase more flash units just for this purpose. A couple features that the D70s has over the D50 that I HAVE used:

-Second command dial.

-White balance fine tuning.

-Illuminated top LCD panel.

Is that worth the price to upgrade? Probably not to me. Personally, I think I would wait for the next round of Nikon upgrades when you could get something better for even less cash or get a D70s at closeout prices.

-murray
    Hi Murray,

While we're on the topic of personal likes and what's worth (or not worth it) to me, let me add...the D70/70s is also a heftier camera. I love that about the 70--you really feel like you're doing something when you cart it around!

I bought the 70s for the same reasons you mentioned--the 50 was enough camera for me, but I liked the heft, the second control wheel, the illuminated display and the built-in wireless control. I just bought a new lens (1.8/50mm) and the SB-600 is next on my list.

cheers,

Julian

---------------------------------------------------------
    Amateur Photographer
    Nikon D70s
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5
    Canon PowerShot G2

I need new ways to interpret things. Photography gives me new interpretations.