Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Linear Polarizers

Does a linear polarizer work on the DS when using manual focus? I know it won't work in AF mode, but my plan is to use it with manual focus. I have read conflicting reports of the effects of using linear polarizers on digital cameras instead of circular ones. Is it true that a linear polarizer can damage the AF mechanism of the camera? I'm only concerned in case I accidentally have my switch flipped to AF. How about light metering and overall functionality?

I do not think a linear pol. filter can damage anything. It is not the sensor that has a problem with linear polarizers, but the AF method used. The AF can not determine focus when all polarized light is removed. A circular polirizer lets light with different directions through, allowing the AF to "see". Same goes with film SLR's.
    So, you can use a linear polarizer on your Pentax. Just not with AF, as you already noted.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Couldn't see much of a difference

I've used a polarising filter with 35mm in the past & tried a couple of shots to see how it faired using digital.

I didn't notice any problems with focusing but didn't see too much of an effect on the landscapes where I'd hoped to darken down the sky and enhance the clouds.

I personally find it better to post process in PhotoShop & adjust the Shadow & Highlights.
    Last edited by WightWalker; 01-13-2006 at 12:33 PM.
    Illustrated walks on Isle of Wight - www.iwcam.co.uk