Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: A620 aperature

A620 aperature

K been researching the A620 for a while now and looked like the camera for me, however my mate was telling me about the low F values i think F2.8-4.1?

now my main purpose is to take pics of cars (still shots) and he said you really would want a higher F values to tkae nice car pics, like ones with a nice background etc

Now am i going to notice the low f value or not??

cheers

Higher the F/number the smaller the aperture = more DOF
    Lower the F/number the larger the aperture = less DOF

With point and shoot cameras because of the small sensor size you won't have any problem with shallow DOF (ie: it is difficult to acheive shallow DOF). Your post is a little unclear as to the type of pictures you are looking for, but if you want a blurred background you are pretty much out of luck with a P&S. If you want a clear distinguished background then the A620 will be fine.
    Ken
    Canon dSLR User

Quote Originally Posted by lexstar
    K been researching the A620 for a while now and looked like the camera for me, however my mate was telling me about the low F values i think F2.8-4.1?

now my main purpose is to take pics of cars (still shots) and he said you really would want a higher F values to tkae nice car pics, like ones with a nice background etc

Now am i going to notice the low f value or not??

cheers
    I think you and your friend may be a little confused. For the A620, the max. aperture at wide angle (meaning the widest/fastest it can be) is f/2.8...that is perfectly average for any lens. The max. aperture at full tele is 4.1...a tad slow, but not horrible. The aperture can be set anywhere from these two values up to f/8 in manual and Av modes. In addition, in auto mode, the camera is capable of values up to f/16. Got it? Good!

awesome to hear!!

yeh im not totally up to it with the aperature values they post on the specs information pages.

but i think i sorta know now

so how do you know wat the max aperature is?

so low f values are for wen u want a blurry background, and high F for clear background and foreground?

also tele = zoomed?

Quote Originally Posted by lexstar
    awesome to hear!!

yeh im not totally up to it with the aperature values they post on the specs information pages.

but i think i sorta know now

so how do you know wat the max aperature is?

so low f values are for wen u want a blurry background, and high F for clear background and foreground?

also tele = zoomed?
    zoomed = zoomed in?? zoomed out????

tele means far. (hence telephone, telescope). So, tele means bringing far away things closer, here. The "long" end of the lens.

Do not expect miracles from the big aperture (smaller number) from a compact like an A620, though. Because of the small sensor used, the depth of field remains quite deep. To really play with shallow depth of field, you need a larger sensor/lens system, like with a DSLR.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30