Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry Fake Sandisk Ultra II 2GB SD bought off EBAY!!

Needless to say, im royally pissed! I guess the saying goes - things that appear to good to be true usually are!!

I bought a "Brand New 2G SanDisk Ultra II SD Card" off ebay.. managed to snag it at $112usd (+ $17 shipping)
    First bad signs were:
    - no retail packaging (tho this was as described)
    - the contacts showed wear

Raising my suspicion, I ran out to buy an authentic retail card to do some comparisons. I've compiled my findings at:

http://members.shaw.ca/fakesandisk/

The seller has now made his feedback private to hide what i had left behind. Likely he'll resurface under a new account. Buyers beware~

PS, the seller did offer a full refund, but that doesn't make the wrong doings right!

How do you KNOW it's a fake? There usually are discrepancies from one card to another...they're usually made by different manufacturers at different plants via subcontracting.

You even admit that performance is the same...so what's your problem? Your seller offered you a refund...if it bothers you THAT much, return and get your money back. Going on a rampage accomplishes nothing.

Chances of him going into hiding, as you say, and then resurfacing are slim to none. His feedback is still pretty good.

A true fraud would have a satisfaction/feedback rating much much lower than 99.2%.
    Last edited by cdifoto; 01-05-2006 at 10:57 PM.
    Ouch.

Sandisk would have been a more appropriate place to start. First, they could have/would have confirmed or denied whether the card was authentic. Secondly, if it is a fake they would love to compensate you for the card, the studies and the information needed to send this guy into orbit.

From what you have displayed - it most likely is a fake. I would still persue it with Sandisk. I would also recommend that in the future, you don't "telegraph" your punches - instead of leaving him feedback like that, Sandisk would have much preferred you making an additional purchase for them - complete with a US Postal Inspector/US Marshal at the other end of the transaction!
    Canon S2 w Raynox DCR1540PRO 1.54X Teleconverter
    Hoya UV, Hoya Polarizer on Lensmate Attachments
    Tamrac 5683 with Tamrac SAS Med Lens Case

TampaJim is right. If the guy knowingly sold you this, he committed fraud and you should have busted him. That said, your research is impressive. I just think the way you handled it didn't accomplish much.

I know, for example, that there are significant differences between my two Sandisk CF 1gb Ultra II's.
    Canon Rebel XT
    No decent glass... yet

How do I know? Perhaps if you paid a little more attention to my findings then it would be pretty evident. Yes hardware manufacturing will often go thru revisions -- but the one thing that does *NOT* change is their serial numbering convention nor the amount of actual flash space available. Even their OEM memory cards relabelled by other brands (e.g. Toshiba) still report "Sandisk" when you run it under Card Info. This one clearly did not.
    (and incase you're wondering, yes Sandisk has confirmed with me that it is indeed a counterfeit)

I do admit performance is is not that far off. Whats the problem? I didn't pay $$$ for a knockoff, I paid for an authentic. If the knockoff falls apart on me (like many counterfeit memory sticks have been reported to) in 1 year, do you think the ebay seller is going to exchange a new one for me? Fat chance .. an authentic Sandisk however, carries a lifetime warranty.

A *POOR* fraud would have a much lower rating. A good fraud wouldn't .. as obviously typical end-consumers like yourself wouldn't even had the slightest clue that the product you purchased was a counterfeit.

Is this "rampage" accomplishing nothing? I would certainly hope at minimum I'm able to educate and raise their awareness of the general public.

Quote Originally Posted by cdi-buy.com
    How do you KNOW it's a fake? There usually are discrepancies from one card to another...they're usually made by different manufacturers at different plants via subcontracting.

You even admit that performance is the same...so what's your problem? Your seller offered you a refund...if it bothers you THAT much, return and get your money back. Going on a rampage accomplishes nothing.

Chances of him going into hiding, as you say, and then resurfacing are slim to none. His feedback is still pretty good.

A true fraud would have a satisfaction/feedback rating much much lower than 99.2%.

I’m the ebay seller "blown-z". I figured I would step in and let people know the truth about my products. Here is a picture of what my SanDisk Ultra 2G SD cards really look like:

You will notice the serial numbers and the look of the card so you can call SanDisk to verify how 100% original it really is. Then if you think well it’s just a picture then go to my auction below and buy one. All name brand products I sell are 100% original. If you have any questions before buying feel free to contact me. Check out my other items if you don’t need a SanDisk Ultra 2GB sd. I supply just about every memory card out there in all different memory capacities. Im a bulk seller for many different companies; Fuji, olympus, SanDisk, Toshiba, Kingston, and more.If you don’t see what you need then ask and Ill see if I can get it.
    Buy an Ultra II SanDisk 2gb SD card here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

Thank You!
    Last edited by blown-z; 02-02-2006 at 05:44 AM.

Uhhmm right. And as you can see from the pictures on my site (http://members.shaw.ca/fakesandisk/), the one I purchased off you had a serial number printed on the back of the card as well, just as your photos have displayed -- I dont think that really proves anything. Plastics, labels, print -- sure, they can vary. The electronic serial number inside the card is what I'm after.

You also list a number of reputable brands for memory cards you sell.
    Care to elaborate on who makes this card you sell in your auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/2GB-Secure-Digital-2-GB-SD-2-G-Memory-Card-2G_...)?

No one wants to see either of your mudslinging. Please, can someone close this pos thread?
    Canon Rebel XT
    No decent glass... yet

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew
    No one wants to see either of your mudslinging. Please, can someone close this pos thread?
    I dont think this thread has degraded to any "mudslinging" yet, and you do have the option of not viewing this thread.

If the contents of this thread does degrade to inappropriate comments that negatively affects this forum, then I agree the moderators should lock it. But until then, I think Blown-Z has the right to defend his reputation or to clear up any information he believes to be incorrect.

Consumer advocate

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew
    Helping the consumer make valuable decisions is not mudslinging. Also, these exchanges do not demonstrate mudsligging. More of a debate, I would say.

I too was dupped by blown-z on an eBay purchase.

eBay item #7582715369

See response from SanDisk below:

SanDisk Response: (02/08/2006 08:30)
    Hello Tony,

Based on the information provided in your email, We regret to inform you that you purchased a counterfeit item.

The serial number you provided does not match the capacity of your product. This is typical for (unfortunately) many of the counterfeit items sold on the internet. Another typical indication of a counterfeit item is the immediate failure (normally within a week). I hope you can obtain a refund/return from the seller. Any troubleshooting of this non-Sandisk device is useless. I apologize but because of this, we will not be able to provide you with any kind of support.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this e-mail or contact our technical support department at one of the numbers below.

Sincerely,
    Darin P.
    Sandisk Technical support

Seller refused to offer me a refund. He has good ratings because you will not know you have purchased a counterfeit item until you are in need of support. When support is needed, you will not get it and it will be to late to use PayPal Buyer Protection (Your claim must be filed within 45 days of payment). Most people will leave feedback, not nowing they have just bought an inferiour product until it is too late.

The eBay ratings for blown-z are misleading

Hope this helps!! Keep up the good work Comatose!

Toneman