Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising
 
 
 
   
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Crapville, Australia
    Posts
    5,148

    200 f/1.8 L stuff

    Guys and Gals,

    Borrowed the fast 200 from CPS for the coming few days. I think the guys felt sorry for me after I had to shell out over AUD300 to get my new 24-70 L repaired after a Christmas Day fall so they flung me this fat fella to try out for a few days.

    Here it is compared to a 70-200 IS and a whole lot of others for size comparison.

    I'm gonna try and get some shots of the kids over the weekend and will post some of the results on here for those of you that are interested. It's quite a rare piece of glass is supposed to be one of Canon's finest.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by cwphoto; 01-05-2006 at 06:53 AM.
    Christian Wright; Dip Phot
    EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 600D | EOS-1V HS
    L: 14/2.8 II | 24/1.4 II | 35/1.4 | 50/1.2 | 85/1.2 II | 135/2 | 180/3.5 Macro | 200/2.8 II | 400/2.8 IS | 16-35/2.8 II | 24-105/4 IS | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 100-400/4.5-5.6 IS
    580EX II | EF 12 II | EF 25 II

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,163
    What's with the gawd aweful compression on those pics?
    Ouch.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Crapville, Australia
    Posts
    5,148
    Forum attachments won't let me post a JPEG greater than around 230kB. They are originally in RAW but downsized in DPP to Level 2 to them under the threshold.

    You got any other ideas CDI?
    Christian Wright; Dip Phot
    EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 600D | EOS-1V HS
    L: 14/2.8 II | 24/1.4 II | 35/1.4 | 50/1.2 | 85/1.2 II | 135/2 | 180/3.5 Macro | 200/2.8 II | 400/2.8 IS | 16-35/2.8 II | 24-105/4 IS | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 100-400/4.5-5.6 IS
    580EX II | EF 12 II | EF 25 II

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,163
    Quote Originally Posted by cwphoto
    Forum attachments won't let me post a JPEG greater than around 230kB. They are originally in RAW but downsized in DPP to Level 2 to them under the threshold.

    You got any other ideas CDI?

    Hmmm. I dunno. I usually just resize mine anyway or do 100% crops if it's a test for sharpness...and toss 'em up on photobucket.com. I do have my own host but disabled hotlinking.

    BTW...that 200 1.8 is one fat stubby {relative} mofo'. lol. What's the mass come in at?
    Ouch.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,163
    Just had a thought....you use Photoshop, right? If so, does "Save for web" help maintain quality yet drop the file size down better than just "Save as.."?

    Worth a try maybe...
    Ouch.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,590
    Quote Originally Posted by cwphoto
    Forum attachments won't let me post a JPEG greater than around 230kB. They are originally in RAW but downsized in DPP to Level 2 to them under the threshold.

    You got any other ideas CDI?
    Try exporting them with www.boxtopsoft.com 's ProJPEG. Photoshops JPEG is really quite bad. And of course cropping, full res. will not get too good with ProJPEG either
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,163
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrain
    Try exporting them with www.boxtopsoft.com 's ProJPEG. Photoshops JPEG is really quite bad. And of course cropping, full res. will not get too good with ProJPEG either
    I don't have any problems with my jpegs in PS7...
    Ouch.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Grafton, MA
    Posts
    1,714
    Hard to stay inconspicuous with one of those! Enough teasing us already, let's see some shots through the glass! Actually, it summer there in AU...time for a trip to the beach...

    As for the posting, try resizing the images to 640 x 427 and saving it as a level 8 jpeg. Or use www.photobucket.com to hot link the images.
    www.jamisonwexler.com

    Canon 5dII|Canon 5D|Canon 40D|Sigma 15 f2.8|Canon 35 f1.4|Canon 50 f2.5|Canon 50 f1.8|Canon 85 f1.2|Canon 17-40 f4|Canon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS|Canon 24-105 f4 IS|Canon 28-105 f3.5-4.5|Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS|Canon 75-300 f4-5.6 IS|Kenko 1.4x TC|Canon 580ex X3|Canon 380exII |Canon 420ex|Sunpak 383 x4|Sunpak 120j x2|Sunpak 622|Elinchrom Skyports

    Past Gear

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,590
    Quote Originally Posted by cdi-buy.com
    I don't have any problems with my jpegs in PS7...
    Try proJPEG and you will see an astounding difference in image size.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,590
    Quote Originally Posted by cwphoto
    Guys and Gals,

    Borrowed the fast 200 from CPS for the coming few days. I think the guys felt sorry for me after I had to shell out over AUD300 to get my new 24-70 L repaired after a Christmas Day fall so they flung me this fat fella to try out for a few days.

    Here it is compared to a 70-200 IS and a whole lot of others for size comparison.

    I'm gonna try and get some shots of the kids over the weekend and will post some of the results on here for those of you that are interested. It's quite a rare piece of glass is supposed to be one of Canon's finest.
    Wow, that lens has seen some action... Is it a very heavy lens btw? That from piece of glass in huge..
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •