Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question Question re; older software installed (A70)...and installing newer version for S2

I've had an A70 for a few years and still love it...but I just got a new S2 IS for Xmas and I'm in the process of installing the Version EX 5.2 ZoomBrowser software. Right now I have the 4.2 version installed for the A70. It basically wants me to upgrade to the newer version. By doing that will I still be able to download my pics off of my A70 with this newer software? I sure hope so! I don't plan on giving up that nifty little camera even though I am definitely excited about my new S2!

Please advise! Thanks.

Yes, sir. Do the upgrade, definitely DO NOT uninstall the old software and then try to install the newer version. The old software has written to the registry and if you uninstall it, it doesn't delist in the registry and then when you try to install the new one it will tell you it is already installed and WAAAAAHHH! NO GO!

Do it like an upgrade, the A70 and the S2 should both work with no "fixing" - if not, just install the WIA (XP) or TWAIN (older Windows) driver ONLY for the A70. You will then be golden. BTW, a card reader would actually serve you better - but this will keep you going the old USB way.

Ciao!
    Canon S2 w Raynox DCR1540PRO 1.54X Teleconverter
    Hoya UV, Hoya Polarizer on Lensmate Attachments
    Tamrac 5683 with Tamrac SAS Med Lens Case

Thumbs up It worked.

Thanks! When my husband came home he said it's always good to do the upgrade and that most of the time new software will work for the older equipment. So I did it and yep, it worked! I even tried my A70 to download some pics. The cable is longer from the S2 package (although thinner). He also went to Staples and bought a 5 in 1 SanDisk card reader which I haven't used yet. He can use it for his music from the SD card he plays on his Palm MP3 player. In fact, he said it was a lot quicker. Also, we just bought our daughter a Canon A510 and she can use it, too. I was surprised to see that you don't need the ZoomBrowser program to download pics when you use the card reader. I've never used it with my A70. I will say that this newer software was a lot faster than the old one!

Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim
    Yes, sir. Do the upgrade, definitely DO NOT uninstall the old software and then try to install the newer version. The old software has written to the registry and if you uninstall it, it doesn't delist in the registry and then when you try to install the new one it will tell you it is already installed and WAAAAAHHH! NO GO!

Do it like an upgrade, the A70 and the S2 should both work with no "fixing" - if not, just install the WIA (XP) or TWAIN (older Windows) driver ONLY for the A70. You will then be golden. BTW, a card reader would actually serve you better - but this will keep you going the old USB way.

Ciao!

Ciao!
    Sorry to cover old ground here...
    I have an old Powershot S30 with old Zoombrowser software...
    If I do as you say, insert CD and just upgrade, will it wipe all my old photos off of the old Zoombrowser or will they just appear in the new software with the same album names?

Thanbk you..
    Steve

Canon S3is for Manual Stuff
    Panasonic TZ1 in BLUE
    Fuji S9500(S900) Sold a dud and returned it!!
    Canon S2is (since 25/12/05) Went back!!
    Canon Powrshot S30 (since Dec 2002)

I'm sorry I can't help you with that one. I save all my pictures in My Pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by adamsfamily
    Sorry to cover old ground here...
    I have an old Powershot S30 with old Zoombrowser software...
    If I do as you say, insert CD and just upgrade, will it wipe all my old photos off of the old Zoombrowser or will they just appear in the new software with the same album names?

Thanbk you..

Fair enough... don't ask, don't get!!!

TBH, I do move the pictures into MY PICTURES as well, I just find the Zoombrowser software easier to lokk at and mess about with.

Cheers
    Steve

Panasonic TZ1 in BLUE

First of all, you can change where Zoombrowser stores the photos. Secondly, the "update" did not erase photos when I performed it - but to be sure call Canon technical support. The Canon tech support people are extremely competent, answer quickly and will get you where you are going - the tech support at Canon is one of the true benefits of ownership, take advantage of it.
    Canon S2 w Raynox DCR1540PRO 1.54X Teleconverter
    Hoya UV, Hoya Polarizer on Lensmate Attachments
    Tamrac 5683 with Tamrac SAS Med Lens Case

First of all, you can change where Zoombrowser stores the photos. .
    You can??? You know, I was trying to do that, but couldn't figure it out.... perhaps it's only on the newer versions?!?!? I'm currently running on V4.3. Haven't installed the new one yet (as you can guess)!!

Secondly, the "update" did not erase photos when I performed it - but to be sure call Canon technical support. The Canon tech support people are extremely competent, answer quickly and will get you where you are going - the tech support at Canon is one of the true benefits of ownership, take advantage of it.
    I shall do just that. I have a couple of other questions for them whilst I'm at it.....
    Thanks for the tips and answers....
    Steve

Panasonic TZ1 in BLUE