Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Battery Problems...

(I posted this under Nikon and then realized that this would probably be a better location since it might not be original to Nikons.)

I have a Coolpix 2100 I bought a couple years ago. It's totally fine for most of my purposes. However, for a couple months now it requires extremely new batteries or else it shuts off saying the batteries are dead. However, I have a battery tester and they're still strongly in the "good" category. It shows my rechargeables as dead no matter what. It seems to be getting worse, too. In other peoples cameras these batteries still give people hours of use.

Anyone have any ideas? Do I need to just get a new camera?

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by extramsg
    (I posted this under Nikon and then realized that this would probably be a better location since it might not be original to Nikons.)

I have a Coolpix 2100 I bought a couple years ago. It's totally fine for most of my purposes. However, for a couple months now it requires extremely new batteries or else it shuts off saying the batteries are dead. However, I have a battery tester and they're still strongly in the "good" category. It shows my rechargeables as dead no matter what. It seems to be getting worse, too. In other peoples cameras these batteries still give people hours of use.

Anyone have any ideas? Do I need to just get a new camera?
    Try doing a software update. The 2100 is a very capable camera. It could be that the fix that cured the pemature low-battery-warning has been corrupted over time.

Thanks. I downloaded and installed the firmware. Technically it was already updated. But I guess we'll see...

battery problems?

Quote Originally Posted by extramsg
    However, for a couple months now it requires extremely new batteries or else it shuts off saying the batteries are dead. However, I have a battery tester and they're still strongly in the "good" category. It shows my rechargeables as dead no matter what. It seems to be getting worse, too. In other peoples cameras these batteries still give people hours of use.
    I don't know the specifics of your camera or batteries, but you might want to check out this site for general information on batteries (this page is about lithium rechargeables, but there are other pages as well):

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
    "...and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
    Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm in Fujino
    I don't know the specifics of your camera or batteries, but you might want to check out this site for general information on batteries (this page is about lithium rechargeables, but there are other pages as well):

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
    That's a thought... Perhaps new batteries are required?

Some cameras eat regular batteries like candy and the only viable option is to get the proprietary recharcheable ones. Once those proprietary batteries get used over and over so many times, they need replaced because they'll no longer hold a charge.

My guess is you have one of those cameras that LOVES to eat the regular batteries and your original is at the ends of its life.
    Ouch.