Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Help!! My D70 has gotten wet!!

Today I was in a small boat with my D70, I thought, carefully wrapped in a waterproof coat. We hit a wave and the camera became damp. The lens is a little fogged, but the camera will not turn on. I left it open to dry and wiped out the salt water, but nothing. Any suggestions from anyone?!?

I hate to be the grinch here, but if there was salt water inside the camera housing, then Nikon repair may be your only hope (Plan B).

Before that, I would let the camera dry out thoroughly. Remove the battery and memory card as well and leave everything open in a warm dry place for 24 hours. If you can find some desicant then you might also want to put the camera body in a plastic bag with several bags of desicant for an additional 24 hours (Plan A).

If you are extremely lucky the drying out will work, if not follow plan B.

Next time you decide to take your dSLR to sea (or any wet environment), put the camera in a large zip-lock bag with only the lens exposed for shots.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Thank you for the feedback! I am afraid that it is toast. There are several others on the ship with the same predicament. Perhaps this would be business opportunity for some one!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy
    Perhaps this would be business opportunity for some one!
    Yeah, Nikon.
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm
    Next time you decide to take your dSLR to sea (or any wet environment), put the camera in a large zip-lock bag with only the lens exposed for shots.
    Or get an Olympus E-1.
    "...and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
    Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

I'd leave it out in the sun for a few days and see what happens.
    Maybe you can try using distilled water to rinse off the sea water to basically de-ionize the water that was on the camera. Then wait for it to dry.
    Pentax *ist DS, Pentax Spotmatic 35mm circa 1968
    SMC-DA 18-55mm kit, SMC-F 70-200, S-M-C- TAKUMAR 35/2, S-M-C-Macro Takumar 50mm F/4, SMC Takumar 50/1.4, SMC-M 135/3.5, Super Takumar 300mm F/4
    Pentax AF160T Flash
    Amvona AT8588L Ball-Head tripod

This is the prime reason why I tell everyone to bypass the MACK warranties and purchase a photography equipment policy on your homeowners/renters insurance. I have this (I think it is about $50 a year) if anything happens to your camera equipment (stolen, broken etc.) you submit a claim to your insurance co. and they will replace it for you at the price you originally paid - NO deductible. The only part you have to be cautious with is submitting too many claims. Each time you submit a claim your premium has a possibility of going up, and too many claims will result in your homeowners/renters being dropped. For me, I hope I never have to use the plan, but for situations like the one described above, it is perfect.
    Hope you get your camera fixed!
    Good Luck
    Ken
    Last edited by ktixx; 12-27-2005 at 01:26 PM.
    Canon dSLR User

Quote Originally Posted by ktixx
    This is the prime reason why I tell everyone to bypass the MACK warranties and purchase a photography equipment policy on your homeowners/renters insurance. I have this (I think it is about $50 a year) if anything happens to your camera equipment (stolen, broken etc.) you submit a claim to your insurance co. and they will replace it for you at the price you originally paid - NO deductible.
    Ken
    Have to agree with the insurance policy idea... All my equipement is insured for accidental damage and theft on my home policy.. I have never had to claim yet but its worth having for the piece of mind IMO, esp if you have a decent investment in lenses etc... If my backpack got stolen with everything in it, it would definately have been worth the little bit extra each year on my policy...
    ------
    Joel - Canon 50d, EF16-35/2.8 Mk1, Σ 50/1.4, EF100/2.8 Macro, EF70-200/4 IS, 430EX II
    http://www.eisner.id.au