By the DCRP Community

Table of Contents

|1| Introduction
    |2| Canon Zooms
    |3| Canon Primes
    |4| Third Party Lenses
    |5| Head to Head Comparisons

I. Introduction

This guide is a compilation of many lens reviews written by DCRP community members. If you would like to contribute a review, please do so here. If you are unfamiliar with any of the lingo and terminology used in these reviews, consult my Lens Buyer's Guide.

THIS IS NOT A GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD.
    All replies to this thread must be praise/criticism of its contents.

II. Canon Zooms

Consumer Zooms
    28-135 IS
    75-300 f/4-5.6

L Zooms
    17-40
    70-200 f/4
    70-200 f/2.8

EF-S Zooms
    17-85 IS

Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Standard zoom lens with an Image Stabilizer and high zoom ratio. With the Image Stabilizer turned on, you can obtain sharp, natural-looking pictures in dim lighting without using flash or a tripod. Very handy for places where flash is prohibited. Uses ring-type USM for swift, silent autofocus and full-time manual focus. Closest focusing distance is 20 in. (50cm).

Reviews

By ReF / 8 / Is this lens worth the price? Yes / Would I buy this lens again? No

Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III

Compact and lightweight 4x telephoto zoom lens ideal for shooting sports, portraits, and wildlife. The newly developed Micro USM makes autofocusing quicker and quieter. The improved zoom mechanism also makes zooming smoother. The front part of the zoom ring now sports a silver ring for a luxury touch.

Reviews

By tsk1979 / 7 / Is this lens worth the price? Yes / Would I buy this lens again? Maybe

Canon 17-40mm f/4 L

A new and affordable L-series ultra-wide-angle zoom lens that's ideal for both film and digital SLRs. Superior optics are assured by the use of three Aspherical lens elements, in addition to a Super UD (Ultra-low Dispersion) glass element. Optical coatings are optimized for use with digital cameras. This lens focuses as close as 11 inches (0.28m), and offers both Canon's full-time manual focus and a powerful ring-type USM for fast and silent AF. It has a constant f/4 maximum aperture, and offers the choice of screw-in 77mm filters or a holder in the rear of the lens for up to three gel filters. Finally, it offers weather-resistant construction similar to other high-end L-series lenses.

Reviews

By ReF / 10 / Is this lens worth the price? Yes / Would I buy this lens again? Yes
    By Bluedog / 9 / Is this lens worth the price? Yes / Would I buy this lens again? Yes

Canon 70-200mm f/4 L

High-performance, L-series telephoto zoom lens combining light weight and compactness with an f/4 maximum aperture. Inner focusing and the ring USM enable quick and quiet autofocusing. Also, a circular polarizing filter can be attached and used without difficulty because the front lens element does not rotate during focusing. The tripod collar (sold separately) is the same one used with the EF 300mm f/4L USM.

Reviews

By Tyger / 9 / Is this lens worth the price? Yes / Would I buy this lens again? Yes
    By ReF / 9 / Is this lens worth the price? Yes / Would I buy this lens again? Yes

Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L

One of the finest telephoto zoom lenses in the EF line, comparable to a single focal length lens. It has four UD-glass elements to correct chromatic aberrations. Its constant f/2.8 maximum aperture and superb image quality make it one of the most popular professional SLR lenses in the world. Compatible with Extender EF 1.4x II and 2x II.

Reviews

By ReF / 10 / Is this lens worth the price? Yes / Would I buy this lens again? Yes / (In-Depth Review and Comparison)

Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS

Equivalent to a 28-135mm lens, this new EF-S lens brings true wide-angle to tele coverage to EOS 20D and Digital Rebel shooters. It has Canon's Image Stabilization system, allowing safe hand-holding at speeds up to three stops slower than otherwise possible. And of course, it's optically optimized for digital SLRs. A ring-type USM means both fast and silent AF, as well as full-time manual focus when in the AF mode.

Reviews

By ReF / 4 / Is this lens worth the price? No / Would I buy this lens again? No

Last edited by Rex914; 07-07-2006 at 12:15 AM.