Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lens Reviews

Canon EF 75-300mm F/4-5.6 III - 7

Purchase price 10500INR(250$ approx)
    - Whether you think the lens is worth it - yes
    - Whether you would buy the lens again - Maybe

If I were to compare to 1000$ glass, I may have given it a rating of 5 or 6. I say may because I do not own such glass, and in the range I afford this is one of the best zoom lenses.
    Consumer low end zooms are supposed to be soft at extremes, have AF problems etc., but not with this lens. In bright daylight I rarely get AF problems, though if I go to speeds below 1/640, I do get a little camera shake which is apparent only in 100% crops. The results are amazingly sharp and 80% of the times the AF will work fine. If you look at my moon gallery over here
    http://tanveer.smugmug.com/gallery/1269634/1/59581044, you will see the pics come out sharp, and one slightly unsharp pic is due to AF issue. This lens does not like AF on moon, and on black colored birds, rest everything will be handled with aplomb.
    this pic demonstrates focus accuracy http://tanveer.smugmug.com/gallery/1...58499478/Large
    If you want to see how it does for moving targets, look at this pic
    http://tanveer.smugmug.com/gallery/1...59525425/Large

So if you are the kind of guy who wants everything in focus, real real sharp(stickler for sharpness etc.,) you may not like this lens. I have seen pics on web from the L lenses, and at 100% crops some difference in visible. But then you have to pay 1000$ odd.

Now will I buy it again? Maybe, if I cannot afford anything else. Why do I say that if its such a great lens. Well you see I have not got very steady hands, so I would love to buy a telephoto lens with IS.

To sum it up:
    Pros :
    1. Value for money
    2. Good quality images
    3. Good bright light AF
    4. Light weight

Cons:
    1. AF not very good on moon and black surfaces. I wonder if its due to XT or the lens,my kit lens does not have any such issues in low light
    2. F 5.6 is slow. With I had F4 at telephoto end!
    3. No marking on manual focus ring. Makes focusing infinity a tad difficult and subject to user error

I'm back... for now. I'll update all the lens review threads now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex914
    I'm back... for now. I'll update all the lens review threads now.
    How long has it been, geez?
    Nikon D90 | Sigma 10-20 HSM | DX 18-105 f3.5-5.6 VR | DX 55-200 VR | 35 f/2.0 D | 50 f/1.4 D | 85mm F/1.8 D | SB-800 x 3 | SU-800
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Flickr | Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by aparmley
    How long has it been, geez?
    It's been too long... I've been inactive for about 6 months, apart from a few peeks a few times.

I've updated the thread now and spruced up the presentation a bit. Keep the lens reviews coming.

I added three reviews today
    flickr
    dcrp shooter's on flickr

7D,Bge7,Canon 70 200 F4L IS,Canon 17 40 f4L,Canon 100 2.8 Macro,Canon 400 5.6L,580 EX II,Tamron1.4XTC SP AF

First lens for an XSi

Looking for some basic help. I've purchased the Rebel XSi without a lens since I want to get a really good lens to start. I've seen the post for 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM recommendation and since we are talking $900 plus, I'm looking for recommendations. (1) Canon lens (2) start with portrait pictures....mostly indoors. Can I use the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM on the XSi (or any EF vs. EF-S)? So for your first lens, and under, say $1100....what is recommended? Might as well purchase really good quality to start out.

EF-S will only work on a cropped body (XSi, 40D, etc). EF will work on cropped and FF canon bodies. If you're shooting indoor ambient light you probably want a prime. 50 (on a cropped body), 85 and 135 are all in the portrait range. If you want a zoom lens then maybe look at something like the Canon 24-70mm f/2.8.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

TSk1979,
    I bought the Canon 55-250 IS. I love this lens for the price and the pics I get from it. With 4 f-stops of IS you really get great hand held pics. Once in a while, when doing action shots, I get slow AF, but it is rare.
    I would love to have one of those $1000+ lenses, in fact, the Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM Lens is on my wish list. Of course, it is $2000+. Someday maybe.
    Gear: Canon 40D & XTi, Canon 18-55 kit lens, Canon 28mm f-1.8 prime, Canon 50mm f-1.8 prime, Canon 55-250mm IS lens.
    Wish List: 70-200mm f2.8 IS L lens.

Code:
    Canon EF-S 18-55 II F3.5-5.6 IS
    price - 90 Euros
    condition - new
    made - Japan

the lens is great for the price, IS handy for slow shutter handheld up to 3 stops, not sure about 4 stops

Image quality: sharp, good contrast and color
    Quality built: average but Ok
    Portability: very lightweight and small
    Problem: not great in contra light performace, barrel distortion average, no USM, rotating front element is a problem for adding filters.

This little lens is great value for the money and is excellent for beginners. I love this lens and would buy it again if needed. Use this lens in many situations.

Great lens... I have been using this one since last 2 month, the time since I have just started my photography class[img src=http://trend-fusion.com/pics/smiley8.gif].[/img]