Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

*Urgent* - camera recommendation needed!

I'm going on a trip next week to India and I don't have a camera! I have never owned a digital camera and I don't know the first thing about them. I would really like to have a descent camera for about $200 and one that uses AA batteries and can store 2 weeks of film. Feel free to laugh if that's a ridiculous requirement, but I do need your help!

Budget

$200 to $300.

Size

ultra-compact

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?

5?

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify)

standard

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

Do you care for manual controls?

what are those?

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?

shots... outdoor, indoor. Some action I think.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?

no, not much bigger than 4x6. But if I get a really nice one I may want to blow it up... I doubt it.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?

lots of indoor for a wedding I think.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?

yup, some of that as well.

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?

no

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

aside from the buying guide on this website? No.

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)

image stabilization sounds good.

Thanks for your help!

k

Canon Powershot A610 Digital Camera would be a good camera for about 230 dollars and is 5MP and takes batteries.

If you dont take a laptop with you or other storage device, you should take along enough memory cards. 2 512mb or 4 256 mb cards would do for over 400 images.

Splitting 1gb up into smaller cards can be benificial when a card develops a problem, but it also means you have to get a safe storage box for them during traveling (and xrays machines)
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

thanks. I'm debating between the a520 and a610. Too bad I can't buy it online because there isn't enough time for shipping, otherwise the deals for the a520 and a610 are pretty sweet. Any reasons why I shouldn't get the a520? Any alternatives in that price range that is better? I know the a520 uses a slower processor, but that shouldn't bother me.

k

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrain
    If you dont take a laptop with you or other storage device, you should take along enough memory cards. 2 512mb or 4 256 mb cards would do for over 400 images.

Splitting 1gb up into smaller cards can be benificial when a card develops a problem, but it also means you have to get a safe storage box for them during traveling (and xrays machines)
    But memory cards aren't affected by x-rays!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys
    But memory cards aren't affected by x-rays!
    That is not always true! They indeed can get damaged and lose photos... Do not ask me why or how, I just know that is possible.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30