Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

Help! Poor D50 jpeg image quality

I just bought a D50 and am trying to print enlargements of some shots I made over the weekend. Unfortunately, they aren't turning out all that well. I have the jpeg image quality set to Fine and image size set to Large, but Photoshop is telling me that the native picture size is only 6.67" x 10.03". I've tried to print some 8"x10"s from this and they are quite pixelated. My 5 megapixel Panasonic shows up as native 23.78" x 31.56" and 8"x10"s look stunning. I must have something set incorrectly with my D50. Anyone know what my problem might be?

Obviously there is a glitch somewhere because what you have is not normal behavour.
    A couple of suggestions.
    Try taking one shot of the same scene at each jpg setting plus RAW and see what Photoshop reports for each one.
    Load the Nikon View and Nikon Edit software that came on the CD with the camera (you will then need to download updates from Nikon on the web) and try viewing / printing the same images from them and see what they report.
    This way you will be able to see if the issue is camera related (incorrect reporting on both sorts of software) or software related (one software is correct and the other wrong).

It's sampling them @ 300 ppi but I don't know why it wouldn't produce an excelent 8x10, what is the file size of the images your using to print?

(FYI 20X30 setting is worthless, the image has "x" pixels wide by "Y" pixels long that / DPI = "20X20 or 7X9" it has nothing to do with quality just what DPI it's deviding by to say the "Size" of image.

Tim

FYI just opened a D50 pic I have, it is defaulted to 300 DPI hence why it shows 10X6 (3008 pixels X 2000 pixels) = 6 megapixels = 10X6.7 printed @ 300 DPI, this should have 0 effect on print quality, how are you printing them?

Tim

File size

It doesn't appear that it's a D50 problem at all. I looked at the files in Windows and you are all indeed correct. The resolution is listed at 3008x2000 and the file sizes are around 3 megabytes. I must have something set up wrong in Photoshop Elements 4.0 that is causing my printing problems. I'll see if there are updates from Adobe and install the Nikon software to see if I can get better results.

Thank you to all that responded!!

Direct Print Worked

I removed the SD card from the D50 and put it directly in my printer and the print was stunning. Detail, clarity, exposure - all perfect. I definitely have something going on with Photoshop.