Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Lenses for EOS 20D

Fellow digiphoto buffs..

Took the plunge and bought the 20D. Got the kit w/18-55mm lenses.

Now I need some advice to buy lenses to really start using the camera. As many of you have the camera and have lenses/Flash, please suggest:

>2-3 Wide Angle Lens combo (28-135, 70-300, etc.) ~ $500 to $600
    >Focal lense enhancers (1.4X or 2.0 X), many brands, which works?
    >Lenses maker (I have seen Sigma, Tamron, Canon, etc.)
    >Is the new Canon lenses with IS worth buying (steep Prices)
    >What is the best flash to use for this camera (best price/non canon)
    >Places/Links where I can buy

There are many links for camera price comparisios, I could not find the same kind of setup for lenses/flash/accessories for Canon. Maybe I am not looking at the right place and someone can guide me in the correct direction.

Thanks,

Canon4ever

Canon has a EF 28-135mm IS USM ( really nice lens for ~$500). The EFS 17-85 IS USM suppose to be just as good as the 28-135 for $600 but i'll find mine out wen i get mine in. EF70-300 USM (i want to say around $300). The IS version is around $500 but should be less then the 28-135 IS one.
    In my opinion all of these take nice pictures and have very good build quality.

For Focal lense enhancers Canon has a 1.4 and a 2x, but i know another company makes them that are compatible w/ canon and are cheaper. Its one of the company's u stated.

The 550ex speedlite flash is nice runs around $400. Supports most of the features for the 20D.
    The 580ex speedlite flash supports all features of 20D, runs around ~$480.
    The 420ex speedlite is very nice for it's price running around ~$170. (a lil stronger power compared to off brand companys)
    From what i used, the 550ex and the 420ex performs very nicely. For canon SLR i really don't suggest an off brand company since u loose alot of features. Well unless you are using just auto mode any off brand flash for canon slr should do.

Try http://www.adorama.com , bhphotovideo.com , and ritzcamera.com.
    I Hope this helps.

~Loveofselene
    Last edited by LoveOfSelene; 10-09-2004 at 10:26 AM.
    A photograph is usually looked at - seldom looked into. - Ansel Adams

Canon 20D & Film Ti II Body (Virtical Grip for both bodies) + Sigma 24-70mm F/2.8 (for sale) + Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L + Canon 70-200 F/4L + Canon 50mm F/1.4 + Canon 85mm F/1.8 + 420ex Speedlite

Not updated on a regular basis... www.binhsphotography.com

ODU 2010!

Quote Originally Posted by LoveOfSelene
    Canon has a EF 28-135mm IS USM ( really nice lens for ~$500). The EFS 17-85 IS USM suppose to be just as good as the 28-135 for $600 but i'll find mine out wen i get mine in. EF70-300 USM (i want to say around $300). The IS version is around $500 but should be less then the 28-135 IS one.
    In my opinion all of these take nice pictures and have very good build quality.

For Focal lense enhancers Canon has a 1.4 and a 2x, but i know another company makes them that are compatible w/ canon and are cheaper. Its one of the company's u stated.

The 550ex speedlite flash is nice runs around $400. Supports most of the features for the 20D.
    The 580ex speedlite flash supports all features of 20D, runs around ~$480.
    The 420ex speedlite is very nice for it's price running around ~$170. (a lil stronger power compared to off brand companys)
    From what i used, the 550ex and the 420ex performs very nicely. For canon SLR i really don't suggest an off brand company since u loose alot of features. Well unless you are using just auto mode any off brand flash for canon slr should do.

Try http://www.adorama.com , bhphotovideo.com , and ritzcamera.com.
    I Hope this helps.

~Loveofselene

Thanks for taking the time to reply back. It was very useful.

Canon4ever