Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising
 
 
 
   
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5

    A620 vs. SD500 vs. other?

    Looking for a camera in the $330 range - going to use www.beachcamera.com (or do you guys know of a better website for cameras?) - both of these cameras were about $330 a few weeks ago, but the A620 just went up to around $350. I'm looking for a good point and shoot camera, one where I can take pictures of my friends with, and maybe one where I can get a little more in to photography with - exposures, nature shots, etc. The SD30 looks really awesome but I heard if the lighting is bad it takes bad pictures because of the poor flash.

    Any recommendations apart from these two cameras? Which is the better of these two for my likes? Should I just go for a cheaper camera?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,175
    Try looking at a Canon A610 instead. Nearly identical to the A620 except that it has 2 less megapixels which really doesn't matter unless you make huge prints.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex914
    Try looking at a Canon A610 instead. Nearly identical to the A620 except that it has 2 less megapixels which really doesn't matter unless you make huge prints.
    Doesn't more megapixels usually mean better image quality? I have always assumed that typically, if a camera costs a lot more than a camera below it (on a lower tier) and it had more megapixels, the quality would be better.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    4,428
    Quote Originally Posted by McGee
    Doesn't more megapixels usually mean better image quality? I have always assumed that typically, if a camera costs a lot more than a camera below it (on a lower tier) and it had more megapixels, the quality would be better.
    That's the general misconception and the manufacturers seem happy with it - they fatten more and more MP into the cameras to sell at higher price.
    MP is simply the size of the picture (quantity) and not quality. Quality comes with good lens and image sensor. It's nice to have 6MP+ camera but I recommend shooting generally at 5MP and spare 6MP+ only for special portraits. Otherwise, you will need to spend more on memory cards.
    I attach a link on resolution for your benefit.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1646274,00.asp
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by tim11
    That's the general misconception and the manufacturers seem happy with it - they fatten more and more MP into the cameras to sell at higher price.
    MP is simply the size of the picture (quantity) and not quality. Quality comes with good lens and image sensor. It's nice to have 6MP+ camera but I recommend shooting generally at 5MP and spare 6MP+ only for special portraits. Otherwise, you will need to spend more on memory cards.
    I attach a link on resolution for your benefit.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1646274,00.asp
    Thanks for the reply. I mean though, since the image is larger, would more detail not be packed in to it? Didn't read article - going to now. Probably should have read it first but oh well

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5
    What do you guys think about the S60 or the SD450 instead of the A620 / SD500?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3

    A610 vs SD450

    Quote Originally Posted by tim11
    That's the general misconception and the manufacturers seem happy with it - they fatten more and more MP into the cameras to sell at higher price.
    MP is simply the size of the picture (quantity) and not quality. Quality comes with good lens and image sensor. It's nice to have 6MP+ camera but I recommend shooting generally at 5MP and spare 6MP+ only for special portraits. Otherwise, you will need to spend more on memory cards.
    I attach a link on resolution for your benefit.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1646274,00.asp
    Thanks for the link, and I see that resolution is not an indicator of the image quality. However, if I have to make a choice between SD500 and SD450, is resolution the only difference?

    And if so, then I have to make a choice between A610 and SD450, and between these two models, I am not sure which one would suit me better. I am more of McGee's type, as in I am beginning to take interest in nature photography etc.

    Thanks!
    Mstripat

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,590
    No, the lensof the SD500 is a little bit bigger, (the camera is also a bit bigger) making the photos slightly better (less CA and soft corners).

    The A610 has the best lens of these. The SD450 is designed to be as small as possible, the SD500 was allowed to grow a bit to accomodate that 7mp sensor and that lens, and the A6X0 was less about style and ultra compact and more about most camera for the money (very good quality lens, manual controls, swivelable display, AA size batteries).
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    4,428
    Quote Originally Posted by McGee
    Thanks for the reply. I mean though, since the image is larger, would more detail not be packed in to it? Didn't read article - going to now. Probably should have read it first but oh well
    The more details will make up for the larger size of the canvas, NOT extra pixel per inch which really will refine the picture. You will not notice a 10x12" print made from 5MP to one made from 7MP, anyway. If you are making life size posters, it's a different story.

    Quote Originally Posted by McGee
    What do you guys think about the S60 or the SD450 instead of the A620 / SD500?
    S60 is capable but older camera. And personally, I don't think I can fall in love with A60's look. Any reason why you don't consider A610 (5MP)? It's almost identical to A620.
    Regarding A6#0 and SD##0, they are not quite in the same league. SD cams are life style and pocketable cameras. Ideal for snapshooters and the cameras will choose all settings for you. All you do is pressing the shutter.
    On the other hand, A6#0 cams are larger - but still fit into purse and jacket. You can select preset modes for snapshooting and still have all the manual controls when you want to over-ride the camera's settings. If you want to explore photography further on of A6#0s should be the chosen one.
    The size of MP is up to you.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3

    which camera has better all around auto?

    If your using auto or scene modes most of the time, how much better would the A6#0 be than the SD###. I guess since the sensor is a bit bigger, the A slightly better, but only slightly? Also, is red eye much better or either?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •