Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question Ultra Compact Camera - Best Choice?

Hello All,

A friend of mine is in need of a really good ultra compact digital camera. She does not know much so I am helping out. Some things that are important:

- Decent battery life while using LCD screen
    - Great macro mode
    - A zoom of at least 3x, more would be better
    - 5mg at least....prefers higher resolution
    - Smaller size the better, but would consider a compact size also if it is the best choice.
    - A decent flash for indoor photos
    - nice image quality...the less retouching the better
    - Perhaps good red eye reduction. Many cameras claim to have it but I have found it does not work very well in my Canon A95
    - The less history of problems with manufacturer the better.

I have read some review but there are alwayscons to go with the pros so I am interested in hearing back from people who may know more than I do as well as owning the camera that they claim is the best.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited by cleo; 10-27-2005 at 10:05 AM.

Have you tried the camera selector that'll you'll find by clicking on "Reviews & Info" at the top of the screen? You select the features you want and it returns a list of the cameras that match. Might be what you want.

Regards,
    Bill

I have tried that but so far have not found the best results. And new cameras keep coming out too.

Quote Originally Posted by cleo
    I have tried that but so far have not found the best results. And new cameras keep coming out too.
    A very good argument could be made for the Canon SD550 as being the best ultra-compact available. I own an SD500...it is easily one of the best cameras I've ever used...

Thanks. There are so many forums and so many opinions. I currently own the A95 and I like it but would suggest to my friend tot get something smaller and lighter to take out with her to parties, bars, and other social events. Especially weddings. Extremely tough to carry the A95 in an evening purse.

Quote Originally Posted by JTL
    A very good argument could be made for the Canon SD550 as being the best ultra-compact available. I own an SD500...it is easily one of the best cameras I've ever used...