Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Angry Problem: ERR 99 on Digital Rebel XT

Hi everyone. I'm sort of new to this forum, and I've been on a rampage on the web recently to find a cure for my EOS Digital Rebel XT's feared ERR 99. So far, only one other person seems to have the same problem as me, and they did not find a way to fix it themselves.

I had purchased my camera online (buydig.com) about a month ago, along with the lens and accesssories, and was eager to start taking pictures like crazy. And just today, as I was at a friends house, my camera started bugging out with the ERR 99 problem.

This ERR 99 is a major pain. After going through every possible website regarding ERR 99, I couldn't find the solution to my particular camera. I did a couple of tests to figure out what was wrong with my camera, including checking the lens-body contacts, removing the CF card, and removing the battery.

Lens-Camera Contacts, FAILED Remedy
    First off, I tried the lens contacts remedy. I highly doubt that that's the case because I had never before taken my lens off. The only time before the body and the rear of the lens was exposed to the air was when I first put attached them together. And I am also using a Canon Lens (EF 28-105 USM II). So I tried wiping the contacts correctly, put the lens back on, shot one picture, and the ERR 99 message popped up again...

CF Card Removal, FAILED Remedy
    Second, I tried removing and replacing the CF card - maybe it's the CF card's fault. Click on, focus, aim, shoot, ERR 99. Even without the CF card, the ERR 99 still pops up.

Battery CF Card, Lens Removal, FAILED Remedy
    Next, I tried removing the battery, CF card, and lens, waited a couple of moments, reinserted them, and it started working again for about 5 shots - then ERR 99. By this time, I noticed something peculiar. The flash wouldn't synch with the shutter, and whenever I used the flash, the picture would appear as if the flash was never really used in the shot, even though the flash went off and the shutter clicked. Indoor shots would be underexposed, but long exposure time picture still work (before the ERR 99 stops me again).

Body Only, FAILED Remedy
    Okay, one more test to figure out what's wrong with my camera. I took of the lens, and the CF card - now I'm left with just the body, a body cap, and a battery. I took out the battery and reinserted it in, just to be sure. I took about 5 shots, then ERR 99 popped up, once again. AHHHH....

Conclusion of tests
    After doing these simple tests, I have come to the conclusion that ever since the ERR 99 message popped up, the flash would not synch properly, the most shots I could after removing then replacing the battery was 5, and that the lens or the CF card don't seem to be causing the problem. I'm guessing it has something to do with the firmware or the electronics. Or I'm one of the few lucky ones to own a totally defective Rebel XT.

If anyone has any suggestions in what I should do, that would be MUCH appreciated. My camera (and lens) is still under the Canon Warranty, but I no longer have the original (I have a copy) UPC for the Digital Rebel XT, since I mailed that in for the $75 rebate.

Thank you all for taking the time in reading this, and I also want to thank in advance any helpful suggestions to my unfortunate situation.

- Arvin Tanag

Call Canon repair, they're great!
    Gear List:
    Some links I like: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Which lens gives this problem?
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    I had err99 once - half way through 200 photos using a Tamron 70-300 f4-5.6. I switched off and on and it went away. According to Canon, it's a lens mismatch error.

Quote Originally Posted by arvin.07
    And I am also using a Canon Lens (EF 28-105 USM II). So I tried wiping the contacts correctly, put the lens back on, shot one picture, and the ERR 99 message popped up again...
    How can using a Canon Lens provide a mismatch error? Oh and through further testing of my 'defective' camera body, I belive the problem is the flash. It won't snychronize with the camera, so I'm guessing that is part of the 'catch-all' ERR 99. But how and why would a fixed flash cause a problem within the camera body itself? I've never used an external flash before, either.

One thing that does bother me is the ERR 99 showing up when I'm not using the flash. Has anyone had this problem as well?

I can't believe, after forking about a grand for my camera system, this major problem arises. Do I seriously have to pay more just to get it fixed (it's under warranty still, but the shipping and insurance costs... *sigh*). I (and others with the same problem) shouldn't be going through all this trouble, especially with the amount of money we've invested in our camera systems...

Quote Originally Posted by arvin.07
    I can't believe, after forking about a grand for my camera system, this major problem arises. Do I seriously have to pay more just to get it fixed (it's under warranty still, but the shipping and insurance costs... *sigh*). I (and others with the same problem) shouldn't be going through all this trouble, especially with the amount of money we've invested in our camera systems...
    Canon's backed their stuff very well - and been very helpful of issues like this. No need to be angry with them.

Older Sigma lenses do have known issues, for example.
    Gear List:
    Some links I like: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

anton Guest

Similar problem

I have a digital rebel XT with a similar problem. I have always used this camera with Canon lenses (18-55mm f3.5-5.6, 50mm f1.8 and 24-85mm f3.5-4.5). I have never used an external flash. I noticed that my error message systematically happens 5 shots after I re-install the battery. I can take five shots in a raw and here it is, "err 99". I can also take a shot, turn off the camera, turn on, take 2 shots, turn off and on and 2 more shots before "err 99". This is so repeatable that I can't help thinking it's a software problem.

I contacted Canon and received a fairly long email re. identifiying the source of the problem. The first test requires to let the camera seat for 20 minutes without the battery, remove the CF card and the lens and finally try to shoot. sure enough, the first shot works, i.e. the camera comes back to the default status. After 5 shots ... "err 99" is back. Again, no lens, no CF Card. I'll keep you updated with Canon's reply.

Meanwhile, does anyone know if a firmware update could help? Considering that Christmas is coming, I'd like to have a functional camera as soon as possible.

Well, I talked to a Canon Service Rep last night, and they told me to do the same thing. I took everything out, including the time/date battery for a couple min, then put only the 2 batteries in.

It still didn't work, just like your situation, after 5 shots or so. I think i got about 7 shots and it ERR 99 on me.

I told him that it still did it, and I also told him about the on-board flash not synching with the camera. He said that was extremely odd, and suggested that I send it to the Factory Service Center down in New Jersey. Does your camera also have a problem with the flash?

Anyways, I went around my dorm looking for a box big enough to fit the camera, along with all sorts of bubble wrap, air pillow thingys, and packing paper, and I sent my camera off to their Service Center in NJ.

I suggest you do the same thing, especially since Christmas is right around the corner. I don't want my camera being stuck in the mass confusion of Christmas packages being sent all over the place .

As long as the warranty is still vaild, I'm sure it wont cost you anything for the repair. I sent my camera body, a copy of my reciept, and the repair form (found on usa.canon.com's support site) - along with a copy the UPC and warranty, just in case (the Rep said it was unnessesary, but I just want to make sure. I seriously dont want to have any problems in the paperwork, especially since I would like to recieve my camera back before the semester is over and I fly back home.

Maybe the next firmware version will attend to the various other ERR 99 problems circulating around the place - but who knows when that's coming out.

99 madness

I saw this a couple of times on my original rebel 300D. The kit lens I got with that body "hunts" a lot even on my 20D and I kinda chalked it up to that. Usually the problem goes away if I turn off the camera and then back on and sometimes I do have to pop the lens off and reseat it. Do you have the battery grip? I have found that if the battery grip works itself loose it happens, also found that I have to be careful how I hold the camera by the grip because the dang battery door is plastic and sometimes it seems to flex too much and create the error if I put too much pressure on it. I guess it must be too late to return it to where you bought it??????

Have never had a error 99 on my 20D, personally I think it's just a better machine all the way around. I can understand being concerned about shipping off your camera, have you checked for an authorized repair depot that's close enough to drive it to yourself? Sometimes Canon doesn't list all the photography stores that are authorized depots. Just as a part of the troubleshooting I'd try a firmware update but if you've already got the latest firmware on there I don't think it'll let you reflash it--part of the idiotproofing. There is a hacked firmware for the 300D don't know about the XT.

from the best of my knowledge
    it's the flexible circuit that controls the aperture in the lens that's buggered
    or the shutter assembly in your body
    Canon Powershot S3 IS
    Canon EOS 40D + Battery Grip BG-E2N | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM | EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM II | 580EX II |
    Flickr - blentley
    CSC