Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Angry Nightmare with Sigma EF-500 flash on my D50

Before I bought this flash (Sigma EF-500 DG Super), Sigma told me via email that it would work with Nikon D50.

Well, this flash's TTL or TTL BL mode doesn't work with my D50. My camera's flash indicator in control panel and viewfinder keeps blinking and I cannot take any photos under these modes. My Nikon manual says that the blinking indicator indicate the flash doesn't support Nikon's i-TTL.

I asked a friend (a very experienced photographer) for help. He spent half an hour and still could not figure out why it doesn't work. The user manual is poorly written and difficult for me to understand.

Just like another user "Jim 53" reported on dpreview.com forum, I also noticed that the clock on my D50 keeps blinking and the time stamp keeps resetting to "2005 01 01" whenever I attached this flash. I first thought the problem was with my D50's clock. No! my D50 clock works fine without the flash.

I am contacting Sigma support again to see if this flash is defected or just incompatible with D50.

I had good experience of using Sigma's lenses (105mm, 10-20mm). But why its flashes were so poorly made? Very frustrating!!!!!

Not fit for purpose. Send it back. Full refund.
    Chalk it up to a learning experience albeit a frustrating one.

Did you get the wrong one possibly? They are specific to different camera brands. Maybe you have a Canon Sigma instead of a Nikon.

Angry Older version

Actually, the store sold me a version which is not i-TTL enabled.

I am pissed off at Sigma for not explicitly differentiating the products as I thought there was only one version/model of EF-500 DG Super.

The 17th Street Photo has a 14-day return/exchange policy. It is too late now to ask for an exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerli

I am pissed off at Sigma for not explicitly differentiating the products as I thought there was only one version/model of EF-500 DG Super.

The 17th Street Photo has a 14-day return/exchange policy. It is too late now to ask for an exchange.
    Hmmmm...

The target of your anger is perhaps misdirected. You did have 14 days to verify the operation of what is essentially a pretty simple device. There are very few flash products that are i-TTL enabled, and I'm pretty sure all of them list it on the box.

Now, if you have been in contact with 17th Street Photo and they encouraged you to continue trying, then they should be willing to take it back. If they won't, perhaps you could dispute the purchase with your credit card company. I've never done this, so I don't know the procedure, but I'm pretty sure if you call the 1-800 number on the back of the card, the customer service person can explain it to you.

Good luck,
    Eric

Seems that you could have bought the Nikon SB600 for about $30 dollars more. So why the Sigma? Just curious.

I would think that 17th Street Photo might understand your plight on this and at least do an exchange.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm
    Seems that you could have bought the Nikon SB600 for about $30 dollars more. So why the Sigma? Just curious.
    I have been pleased with two Sigma lenses (105mm, 10-20mm) that I bought. And I understand from Sigma's website that this flash is more powerful than SB600. So I gave the business to Sigma.

When I visited Sigma's website, there were no indications that EF-500 DG Super had two versions: TTL-enabled and i-TTL enabled (apparently for D70 and D50). So I went to search for "EF-500 DG Super for Nikon" in Pricegrabber.com and found a deal at the 17th Street...

Being an amauter photographer, I had no ideas what i-TTL or TTL were. So when I noticed my flash didn't work in TTL modes, I thought it must be my mistakes, like I didn't use it properly. Two weeks ago, I asked a friend (an experienced photographer) for help, and he believed that this flash didn't work with my D50. Even then I still thought I must bought a defected unit.

Why did Sigma label both the models/versions as "EF-500 DG Super for Nikon"? My misfortune could be avoided if Sigma had named the new version as "EF-500 DG Super i-TTL for Nikon" or "EF-500-iTTL DG Super for Nikon"

I have been pleased with two Sigma lenses (105mm, 10-20mm) that I bought. And I understand from Sigma's website that this flash is more powerful than SB600. So I gave the business to Sigma.

When I visited Sigma's website, there were no indications that EF-500 DG Super had two versions: TTL-enabled and i-TTL enabled (apparently for D70 and D50). So I went to search for "EF-500 DG Super for Nikon" in Pricegrabber.com and found a deal at the 17th Street...

Being an amauter photographer, I had no ideas what i-TTL or TTL were. So when I noticed my flash didn't work in TTL modes, I thought it must be my mistakes, like I didn't use it properly. Two weeks ago, I asked a friend (an experienced photographer) for help, and he believed that this flash didn't work with my D50. Even then I still thought I must bought a defected unit.

Why did Sigma label both the models/versions as "EF-500 DG Super for Nikon"? My misfortune could be avoided if Sigma had named the new version as "EF-500 DG Super i-TTL for Nikon" or "EF-500-iTTL DG Super for Nikon"
    Sigma makes some decent lenses, but Nikon knows their own exposure system better than anyone. More powerful doesn't mean better.

For lenses...I have a Sigma 18-125, but I trusted Nikons knowege of their own iTTL system, and the SB800 has never let me down. I'm sure that the same can be said for the SB600.

Sorry for your pain. Possibly a lesson for others. Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by D70FAN; 11-21-2005 at 08:47 PM.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

i don't have a nikon but i do have the same flash you do for my canon. the box for the flash has ETTL (canon's system) printed all over it but on one side there is a tiny sticker with "II" printed on it, indicating ETTL II (difference should be similar to nikon's ttl vs i-ttl.) other than that one couldn't tell if it contained an up to date flash or not. i think the problem should be between you and the seller, not sigma. tell them that the info was not clear and that you simply want an exchange. if you talked to any of their staff within those two weeks and no one pointed out to you that it was an old model, use that to your advantage. get a manager on involved if you have to. if that doesn't work then take it up with your credit card company like eric suggested, but don't let too much time pass with either option. if you still lose then you can see how you like it on manual (where i have it set most of the time) or sell it.
    canon 17-40 L, 70-200 f2.8 L, 400 f5.6 L, 50 f1.4 & f1.8, 1.4x TC, sigma 15 f2.8 fisheye, flash 500 DG Super, kenko extension tubes

note to self: don't participate in sad, silly threads unless you're looking for sad, silly responses.

"anti-BS filter" (from andy): http://dcresource.com/forums/showpos...94&postcount=4

Angry

Thank you for all the kind responses. I asked Sigma's customer services for an exchange for an iTTL-enable version, but didn't hear back from them.

So I have ended my misery by trading in this Sigma flash for an Nikon SB600.

Unlike Sigma's manual, Nikon SB600 comes with a very user friendly manual, which is perfect for an amatuar like me.

BTW, that Sigma flash kept resetting the time stamp of my D50 to "01 01 2005". That must be something wrong with the Sigma flash.
    Last edited by tigerli; 12-07-2005 at 05:16 AM.