Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Christmas Gift Help

Getting my girlfriend a DC for christmas as her current cam is a film camera and its pretty much falling apart.

Shes not very tech friendly.

Budget
    As cheap as I can get it, im a student and dont wana blow tons of cash.

Size
    Size < Price, but the smaller the better so she can bring it around with her.

Features
    How many megapixels will suffice for you?
    From what Ive read 3-4MP is more than enough for your standard photographer. Most pics will be developed in standard size (4x6?).

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify)
    Zoom? I guess 3x would be more than enough? Dont really know here.

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
    7? As long as standard size is photo-quality when developed I think were good.

Do you care for manual controls?
    A few would be good for night pictures(at parties etc)

General Usage
    * What will you generally use the camera for?
    General picture taking its just for vacations, parties, general photo-taking. Nothing hardcore or extreme

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    More than likely not, tho an 8x10 wouldnt be bad for say an xmas photo etc

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
    A mix, some will be low light as night clubs etc are usually dark with lights.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
    Could happen, tho not the main focus

Miscellaneous
    Something simple to use, light-weight and in a decent price range is optimal
    Brand names are somewhat important, some flaky brand like zoomoptic or crap like that I wont buy.

Thanks so much!@

Is the Canon A510 too expensive? (around 150$, take into account you will need a bigger SD memory card and a set of NiMH batteries with charger for about 25$)
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Please dont make fun but...the barbie cam might work for her considering shes female. Its 4MP, 3X opt zoom and I think its only $79cdn. And yes, its pink!
    Canon Powershot SD200

Kodak C-340 isn't a bad camera either, though of course you need to use flash. The A510 is nice too.

Pretty much all smaller cams will require use of flash in low light.

Tim

No the barbie cam wont do lol.

Dont all DC use a flash for low light? Sorry im not too versed on DC's.

I found Canon A510 on futureshops website for 199 http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0057434&catid=

200 CDN is what im looking for, tho I know with a lot of cameras Im gona have to buy a secondary memory card.

Do all cams use 2x AA's batteries? I have some friends with have Kodak Easy Shares and the things are always low on battery or are dieing and its a huge pain in the ass.

Saw these as well:
    Fuji Finepix 4.1MP Digital Camera (A345)
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0059409&catid=

and
    Olympus 4.0MP Digital Camera (FE-100)
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0067123&catid=

Ive always been a fan of sony
    Sony Cyber-shot 4.1MP Digital Camera (DSCS40)
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...0059026&catid=

This as well:
    Samsung Digimax A400 4.0MP Digital Camera
    http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...=20224&PCName=

Thanks!

Ok i got a good suggestion and you can get it right at or possibly a little under the price you're considering (200 cdn) for the whole package including memory and rechargeable batteries. I got my lady friend a digital camera for her birthday this year and my budget was 150 usd for the whole package. Camera/rechargeables/memory card. I wound up with a Samsung Digimax a402. It's a 4 megapixel with a fixed lens so no optical zoom or autofocus. The lens works like the disposable film type cameras. Chances are her film camera doesn't have an optical zoom or autofocus anyways, right? You can't miss what you never had. Don't count it out for this reason, i've produced some stunning 8x10 prints with it straight from the camera (no postprocessing.) It has a slide switch to go from "standard" focal length to "macro." Standard works from about 1.5 - 2.0 feet in front of you onwards and the macro is for stuff that's closer. Typically it never gets taken out of standard and it never gives us any problems. It has 4x digital zoom (that works farily well if you need it/don't want to bother with cropping), a pretty good movie mode that goes up to 640x480 30 fps and a powerful flash. Runs on 2 AAs (rechargable in our case.) I bought it locally for 98 bucks american cash new at a store that had it on sale. That left me 50 bucks for a 512 memory card (30 online) and batteries (20 at wolf camera.) You'll prolly end up paying around 120 USD for the camera itself though. I know walmart has it for 118. But search around, you might turn up as good of a deal as i got it for. All I can say about it is it's a GREAT budget digicam. Perfect for her as a woman who wants nothing more than to point it at stuff and push the button (doesn't even have to worry about the whole half press thing.) It also has a few manual controls to set shutter speed and such for night work (needs to be tripod mounted if you're using a slow shutter speed of course.) Oh yeah, and it's TINY. Fits perfectly in a pocket or purse compartment, etc.

:: EDIT :: So if 200 canadian is roughly 170ish american then at 120 plus tax/shipping and call it 20-30 for a 512 memory card (more than enough for this camera) and around 15-20 for some good rechargeables you're up to 155-170 american depending on how much you pay per item and how much shipping/tax is. Sounds like a good solution to me. I can tell you i'm happy with the camera. Just my 2 cents though. Good luck.
    Last edited by BonjiB; 11-14-2005 at 10:40 AM.

Thanks, seems like a pretty decent camera. Though to be honest the zoom would be a nice feature to have, besides that this camera seems to have everything she would need.

Its hard to determine what she woudl want out of it without blowing the gift idea.

The Canon PowerShot 3.3MP Digital Camera (A510) - Grey is 199.99 right now at futureshop, so I'm looking for more information on this one.

I think id would probably be best to buy this in-store that on-line, that way if there is a problem returning is not an issue.

Only issue I can see is, this camera is 199.99 then + mem card and rechargeable batteries. Maybe I can get her mom to buy her the mem card or something, and we can grab rechargables during the boxing day sales.

But then again if someone can recommend a better camera for cheaper or relativly the same price...

Thanks!

I think given your situation...you really should be looking at something like the A410 instead...the A510 seems like overkill....