Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

What do you think?

I am just curious what all the professionals think of this photo. I am just here to mess around and learn photography.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by newtda; 07-15-2010 at 05:49 PM.

I'm not a professional but forum etiquette restricts your image size to something that will fit within the border of our monitors. That means about 1000 pixels wide, or 800 pixels high.

Right now, looking at a section at a time, I see a shadow on a butt, and a frightened child.
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

The sunset looks nice, but horizons should really be level.
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

I'm not a professional, but as another person said, it's too large for this forum - when you reduce it in size so that I can see it on my monitor then I'll comment on it. Now, all I can see is about 1/4 of the photo at a time, which makes it very difficult to evaluate.

Note to viewers; Try RIGHT-CLICK/VIEW IMAGE and you can see it on a single page.

That's a great capture! Moment and emotion.

Suggest a little cropping, straightening, sharpening, exposure adjustment, color correction, and levels (boost dark and light).

Hope you don't mind; I took a slight liberty of creating an example of these suggestions. I'm far from expert - this is just to illustrate (particularly the "rule-of-thirds crop).

AFTER/BEFORE images below.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Gopher; 07-16-2010 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Added BEFORE post.
    Lots of Canon DSLR stuff.

While I like the feeling of the scene I actually find the inclusion of the sunset to be both distracting and troubling. It is distracting due to the sun being bright and colorful nearly dead smack in the center of the scene. It is troubling as the fill flash light source is out of color balance and direction with the visually obvious light source of the sun. So the final sense of the picture is two potentially interesting images merged together without regard for either.

I might like it more if the fill were using a colored gel. Or even if the fill flash was actually more obvious and caused the sunset to be a darker background.

Good point but I'm not sure I agree ... entirely.

Alone either shot would be plain. Together they are somewhat complementing.

Sort of like a painting of a boy pondering the harbor - does the sailboat distract? I think they both contribute to a single theme.

Art, not being an exact science, is OK to wander and break some rules. I think that to any amateur; having that family shot framed in their living room would get more positive comments on that combined shot than either by itself.

I can't count the number of group shots I've shot against the setting sun, a pier, a lake, a tree.

I agree about lowering the sunset exposure, although then you're dealing with more flash color. In my book, it's OK to let the sunset colors be warm if the skin tones are balanced although some gel balancing is nice. You might notice they used a pop-up flash (lens shadow cast on her body) so gelling advice seems a bit pedantic - let's ask them to walk before they run. Kudos that they knew to use the flash at all.

Gopher,

I generally agree with your comments, but for one point. Newtda's original question seemed to indicate he wanted a commentary based on a comparison to a professional shot, not a review as a good quality family snap shot.

Sorry; I didn't get that.

"Professional" is sometimes such a loose term, LOL. I'm not a pro but most pros who offer advice to newbies, usually, offer advice geared towards the person asking and not to critique the work as if it were a pros. They also tend to find something good to say about it, even if just to say "great lens choice". Just my observation. Andy Williams said it well here.

I think there's a lot to complement about this shot. Good stop of action (no motion-edges), great lens flare, good emotion capture, decent camera angle and lens choice, lucky ambience silloettes in the background, etc. Well worthy of a family frame and sure to draw complements from friends.

Your critiques are all valid - although I think I don't agree with the "don't combine a nice looking setting sun with people shots" on face value. In this one the sun is overpowering and your point is valid but he may take that to mean he should never take people shots with sunset backdrop. That could be confusing. Again; I do agree that on this shot it's a bit too much, but even that's an artistic preference. To me; shots in a great background are more about capturing "see what a great time we had in this wonderful place" than an isolation portrait of just that subject. So; it could go either way.

Cheers.