gudipudi Guest

Re

Yeppi ...

I went mad seeing those links dude...

why dnt you be more specific

cheers
    momax

Sigma "Bigma" 50-500mm EX HSM APO RF

Sigma "Bigma" 50-500mm EX HSM APO RF (Non-DG Version)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: Telecorder
    Is this lens worth the price?
    Yes
    Would I buy this lens again?
    Yes
    BANG FOR THE BUCK?
    Yes
    Price Paid:
    $535.00 (Used eBay Auction)

Date Purchased/Interval Used until review:
    10/2006 / 2-Months
    ------------------------------------------

Pros:
    >Extremely useful, fun 10X zoom lens w/75mm - 750mm EQ range on my Nikon D50 (1.5X crop factor); Because of its considerable size and weight, its best to consider it as a 500 mm telephoto that can zoom 'backwards' all the way down to 75mm EQ when composition requires less zoom;
    >Good minimum focus distance - focus distance of 1m @ 50mm and increases to 3m @ 500mm.
    >Can be very sharp w/good contrast and color rendition across entire range w/good technique/lighting;
    >Good build quality/fit/finish;The EX finish (crinkled) has a pleasant feel/look;
    >Has 4-elements w/ SLD (Super Low Dispersion);
    >Fast, quiet and accurate HSM AF motor;
    >Reports its 500mm f/6.3 as 5.6 to maintain AF metering (My D50 reports EXIF as f/6.3, though);
    >OEM lightweight magnesium lens tripod mount (removable/rotatable) is a good/solid build and serves as a perfect carrying handle while walking around with it mounted on the camera;
    >Compared to most 500mm fixed-focals, the Bigma is very compact and much more affordable;
    >Good quantities available on market mean good eBay used prices can be had($550-$700);
    >Accepts 1.4X - 2.0 teleconverters for extended reach in good lighting;
    >rear focusing ("RF") means the front lens does not rotate and eases the use of circular polarizers;
    >Has a zoom lock at 50mm for precluding lens creep when carrying around;
    >No perceived wobbling of the inner lens tube when extending the zoom to the max. The focus ring feels very smooth while the zoom ring is somewhat stiff/tight between ~50-200mm;
    >I've been able to use good handholding techniques for panning BIF by using Auto-ISO and Shutter-Priority set at 1/800 - 1/1000-secs with good success/IQ and keeper ratio;
    >Surprisingly good extended balance when using the OEM lens mounting bracket on a monopod/tripod;
    >Is one of the most affordable, moderately priced lens to get to 500mm;
    >First D50 lens that I've found that exceeds the IQ I've been able to get with my Panasonic FZ30's stabilized reach above 300mm;

Cons:
    >Weight -- 4-pounds; Requires outstanding handholding techniques and high shutter speeds for best IQ sharpness; Better w/monopod; Best with good sturdy Tripod (As with most all long lenses...);
    >f/4 - f/6.5 aperture range is occassionally limiting in low light at sunrise/sunset;
    >Will require Manual Focusing due to higher f/stop when using teleconverters;
    >No focus limiter on the Non-DG versions;
    >Ranges between 9" at 50mm and 14.5" Long when extended to 500mm and lens petal attached;
    >Takes 86mm filters which can be pricey;
    >Requires use of good techniques/monopod/tripod for stability and sharpest IQ;
    > Repeat -- Requires use of good techniques/monopod/tripod for stability and sharpest IQ;

Additional Useful Sites:
    User Photos Posted:
    http://www2.photosig.com/go/photos/b...LBP99?id=17260

Comments:
    This lens was purchased to afford me better Image Quality than I'm able to get with my Pany FZ30 and its OIS for distant wildlife/Eagles/Raptors. The Tamron 70-300 LD kit lens just wasn't up to it in either reach or IQ capability. I did a lot of due diligence and narrowed my short list to the Bigma - Tamron 200-500 Di or a Nikon 300 f/4 + TC. Of the three, the main deciding factors were the availability/pricing of used Bigmas, the increased/flexible range to allow an all-in-one lens approach; faster HSM/AF and the generally good IQ capability across the entire focal range. The 50-500 makes a great nature/wildlife lens because it is capable of capturing a landscape scene then going for a small bird at 400 or 500mm.

Specifications:
    Sigma "Bigma" 50-500mm EX HSM APO RF (Non-DG Version)
    Focal Length: 50-500mm
    Minimum Aperture: F22
    Lens Construction: 20 Elements in 16 Groups
    Angle of View: 46.8°- 5°
    Number of Diaphragm Blades: 9pcs
    Minimum Focusing Distance: 100cm –300cm(39.3”-118.1”)
    Maximum Magnification: 1:5.2
    Filter Size: 86mm
    Lens Hood: Petal Hood
    Dimensions: Diameter 95mm (3.7”) x Length 218.5mm (8.6”)
    Weight: 1842gr/64.9oz
    Fittings: Sigma, Canon and Nikon-D, Konica Minolta and Pentax

SAMPLE SHOTS:
    Handheld 50mm/75mm EQ

Handheld 500mm/750mm EQ

Telecorder [Dave]
    Apple Valley, CA
    FZ30+TCON17+RDS
    D50+Nikkor 35 f/2; 18-70 DX; 70-300 VRii + BIGMA 50-500 EX HSM
    Kenko Pro 1.4X TC
    Sigma EX 1.4X TC
    SB-600
    My Image Galleries

100 percent agree.No need IS in this focal length.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex914 View Post
    Author: ReF
    Is this lens worth the price? No
    Would I buy this lens again? No

Pros: very good range. IS can be useful since this lens requires stopping down. excellent flare control.

Cons: very low contrast and sharpness especially considering the price - far below the 28-135 IS. it was the first lens i bought and used with my dslr and it only took me a week to decide on returning it. the lens probably could be sharper and and cheaper if IS was not included. IS not really necessary at the focal lengths anyways. If the lens could be sharper at larger apertures I would hardly use the IS at all. With the tamron 28-75 f2.8, I never feel the need for IS - same thoughts with the 70-200 f4 up until around 135mm. but i guess IS is a feature that really sells for canon, so they include it and jack up the price.

Would I buy again? Heck no! it would be recommendable if it were $400, but it’s more like $550.

100 percent reight , I think all you 've said is true , the IS is a feature that really sells for Canon , so they include it (and that makes the lens size significantly bigger )and jack up the price ...

I returned it too , and buying a Sigma 17-70 or 18-200.

Thanks for your great review.

The New tamron 18-250mm Lens

Yep, this is another new lens among many others. However, I truly believe that the Tamron 18-250mm lens is a real winner in the snapshot/travel camera area. No, it is certainly not a Canon L lens quality lens, but it is indeed a great lens to record a blog or a personal history. This photo was handheld at the 100mm mark approximately. It displays good sharpness. I have found the Tamron 18-250mm lens to be rather impressive lens. How about you?

Sarah
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by speaklightly; 05-31-2007 at 06:34 PM.

Tamron 18-250mm Len

Here is another photo sample from the new Tamron 18-250mm Ultra Zoom lens in the Canon mount. This photo is at the max range for the Tamron 18-250mm lens, which is actually 375mm.

Sarah
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Question Looks a good package

Nice shots Sarah that does seem like a good all round lens. I seem to remember you have in the past owned one of the Panasonic super zooms how do you think say a Canon XTi with this lens at full tele would compare as a package to an FZ20 at the same reach? ie Lens/image quality, different min apertures vs larger sensor & higher iso ability etc.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Post Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM ("EF-S 17-55 IS")

Is this lens worth the price?
    Yes (a highly qualified "Yes")
    Would I buy this lens again? Yes (again highly qualified)

Pros:
    • Large f/2.8 aperture (although both Sigma and Tamron offer f/2.8 standard zooms).
    • Excellent image quality.
    • No flare problems (with lens hood on).
    • IS (I have to disagree with ReF's review of the EF-S 17-85 IS; I do a lot of handheld low-light shooting [street photography, where whipping out a tripod is really not recommended] and any help I can get in low light is very welcome indeed).
    • Ring-type USM offers fast focusing in most conditions. This, and IS, are the key differentiators between the EF-S 17-55 IS and the competition.
    Cons:
    • Very expensive (about $7000HKD) for what you get.
    • This is not exactly a small, discreet lens, even compared to the third-party competition.
    • No lens hood included ($300HKD extra). For this kind of money, I expect the lens hood to come for free.
    • Build quality leaves something to be desired - the plastics are of a high quality, but the focus ring is not very well-damped and actually has some free play (it "slops" forward and backward slightly). This would be forgiveable in a cheaper lens, but not in something this pricey.
    • Canon's marketing department. Many reviews have speculated that many of the above problems are due to Canon marketing wanting to differentiate (consumer) EF-S lenses from (professional) L lenses. At this price bracket, I don't care if the EF-S 17-55 IS doesn't have a red ring around the lens barrel; I want build quality (and a lens shade) commensurate with the price.
    Would I buy it again? Given the nature of the photography I do, there really isn't any sound alternative. I'd buy it again, but with considerable reluctance.
    Last edited by ayhcheung; 07-21-2007 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Reference to USM focusing speed; changed abbreviation
    S: Panasonic LX1 and LX3
    M: Konica Minolta Dimage A2
    L: Canon EOS 30D with Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM and Sigma 30 f/1.4 HSM
    Zooomr page

Tamron Autofocus 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) for Canon

Is this lens worth the price? Yes
    Would I buy this lens again? Yes

Pros:

- Smaller than most lenses in the 24-70mm range - good walk around lens
    - Lighter than most lenses in that range
    - Constant 2.8 aperture - great for low light conditions
    - AF is not too loud
    - Focuses pretty quickly
    - Quality is fantastic, especially when stopped down
    - Build feels pretty solid
    - Great price for what you get
    - I've used the Sigma 24-70mm lens and I like this one a lot more because of all the reasons I listed above.

Cons:
    - A little soft wide open, but that's inherent of most lenses
    - Focus can be faster (compared to nicer lenses)
    - Focus can be quieter (compared to nicer lenses)
    - Barrel moves when zooming in/out, not just the lens

Would I buy it again?
    Yes because it gives you great quality for the price. It's not heavy so you can carry it around easily. Auto focus is not too loud. The price also prevents you from worrying about carrying around expensive lenses like the canon 24-70 L lens. The range is great for general purpose too.
    Canon

BLOG

Canon EF 70 200 f4 IS
    Author:

Pros:
    This is the sharpest zoom I have used. sharp at f4.
    -Very fast AF(ring USM)
    -Superb bokeh - circular & creamy.
    -Also useful for macroish shots MFD is 1.2 m
    -The Image stabilisation is very useful & works as claimed
    -Weather sealed & internally focusing
    -Also not to forget how light weight this package is

Cons:
    The price is debatably high but I think it is worth it

I switched to this from the more economical & also excellent 70 200 f4L
    Was not sure the price difference was justified but on using it, the IS, the sharpness, the bokeh have won me over
    This is my main out door walk around lens & I have taken some of my best pictures, thanks to this

Last edited by drama; 06-13-2008 at 11:37 PM.
    flickr
    dcrp shooter's on flickr

7D,Bge7,Canon 70 200 F4L IS,Canon 17 40 f4L,Canon 100 2.8 Macro,Canon 400 5.6L,580 EX II,Tamron1.4XTC SP AF

Canon EF 24 70 f2.8L
    Author:

Pros:
    - Sharp even at f2.8
    -Very fast AF(ring USM)
    -bokeh - circular & creamy.
    -Useful for table top photography, MFD is .38 m
    -Weather sealed & internally focusing
    -Also not to forget how light weight this package is
    -Clever design & superb build quality

Cons:
    Heavy
    Lacking at the wide end on a crop body
    The price is debatably high but I think it is worth it

The 70 200 f4IS, got me used to a high level of image quality & I wanted the same in the 24-70 range too
    I tried the Canon 18 55 kit lens, Sigma 17 70, Tamron 17 50 F2.8, Sigma 18 50 f2.8 Ex DC Macro,Canon 17 40 F4L & none of them could match.
    So reluctantly, because of the price & weight, I tried this
    My copy has delivered the qualities I was looking for & am very happy with it

7D,Bge7,Canon 70 200 F4L IS,Canon 17 40 f4L,Canon 100 2.8 Macro,Canon 400 5.6L,580 EX II,Tamron1.4XTC SP AF