Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

DSLR Lens Reviews Submission Form

DSLR Lens Reviews Submission Form

This is the submission form for lens reviews. They are organized and linked to in an orderly manner here (Canon) and here (Nikon).

REVIEW FORMAT - NO EXCEPTIONS

1) ONE REVIEW PER POST. NO EXCEPTIONS. If you have multiple reviews, it's still one review per post. Post your review ONLY in this thread. Do not start a new thread.

2) In the TITLE of your post, you must include...

- Full name of the lens (Brand, mount, focal length, aperture)
    - Your rating of the lens on a scale of 1-10 where 10 is the highest.

(Example "Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 - 9")

3) In the BODY of your post, specify...

- Whether you think the lens is worth it (yes or no)
    - Whether you would buy the lens again (yes or no)
    - Then provide a brief review of the lens in a format of your choice (every has used Pros/Cons/Would I buy this lens again? so far). Write 150 words minimum, but do not exceed 500 words in most cases.

There are many examples of reviews below for reference. You are encouraged to copy and paste an existing review to form the basis for yours.

Thanks for participating. Your input is appreciated.

- Rex914

-----------------------------------------------------
    [START COPY - Don't forget the title!]

Is this lens worth the price? Yes or No
    Would I buy this lens again? Yes or No

Pros: List out the pros of this lens in complete sentences or coherent fragments.

Cons: List out the cons of this lens in complete sentences or coherent fragments.

Would I buy it again? Say WHY you would or wouldn't buy this lens again.

[END COPY]
    Last edited by Rex914; 12-16-2005 at 11:07 PM.

Thumbs up Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 - 9

Is this lens worth the price? Yes
    Would I buy this lens again? Yes

Pros: List out the pros of this lens in complete sentences or coherent fragments. I would touch on build quality, sharpness wide open and stopped down, contrast, color redition, quality of bokeh, etc.

Cons: List out the cons of this lens in complete sentences or coherent fragments. would touch on build quality, sharpness wide open and stopped down, contrast, color redition, quality of bokeh, etc.

Would I buy it again? Say WHY you would or wouldn't buy this lens again.
    Last edited by Rex914; 12-16-2005 at 11:09 PM.

Thumbs up Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark I - 8

Author: ReF

------------------------------------------

Pros: This is the sharpest and highest contrast lens I own. f/1.8 can be very useful.

Cons: Slow and loud AF, bad bokeh - pentagon shapes instead of circles. bad bokeh severly limits the use of the large aperture for creative shooting.

Would I buy this lens again? This lens was purchased about 15 or more years ago and no one in my family even remembers what the cost was. Given that one in good condition on ebay costs between $75-100, I would spend the extra $$$ for the f1.4 version to get the faster, quieter USM version with better bokeh. That's just me though; I'm sure many people wouldn't be willing to spend 3-4x the cost for the upgrades.
    Last edited by Rex914; 11-15-2005 at 03:32 PM.

Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR Di - 9

Pros: extremely high sharpness and contrast for a zoom. second in sharpness and contrast under the 50mm f1.8 mk I out of the lenses i own. great price, good build quality, small and light, decent macro performance for a lens of this type (though not at all comparable to real macro performance) AF noise level well controlled.

Cons: slowish focusing, not alway accurate at 75mm.

Would i buy it again? yes, i would definately get this lens again if necessary, unless for some reason i could get a canon 24-70L for $650. the only thing i really feel needs improving is the focusing speed (which I hear the canon delivers). it's actaully decent - faster than the 50mm.
    Last edited by Rex914; 11-15-2005 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks Rex: there are so many blah blah threads, its a great idea to have these sticky indexes that keep the good ones from getting lost in the forest. It does encourage a bit more care and effort too, knowing all the good efforts won't just get flushed in a week or two.

So; it looks a lot like the FM review model.
    Gear List:
    Some links I like: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 Macro XR Di - 9

Would I buy this lens again? Yes (actually; if it were stolen, I'd probably pay 4x for the Canon 24-70 f2.8L)

Pros: Accurate and acceptibly fast AF in most situations. Very sharp, good contrast, very low CA. Light, good build quality. f2.8 top-to-bottom is very useful and i've only noticed a very slight quality fall-off wide opened.

Cons: Dim lighting AF difficulties, lacks the punch of a good prime. 28mm minimum is slightly long bottom-end for a walk-around lense, and 75mm is occassionally lacking, but of course I knew that going in. I'de only consider these cons when comparing it against a similar zoom with better range.

Comments: This lense replaced my kit about 3 weeks after my 20D purchase. It's taken nearly every shot since and I've been nothing but satisfied. I've heard of a lot of bad copies but luckily, not mine.

That said; I'll probably replace it with the Canon 24-70L f2.8L or Canon 24-105 IS f4.0L. I had use of a Canon 135 f2.0L for a while and got spoiled by the elegance of L Glass.
    Gear List:
    Some links I like: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Canon 70-200mm f4 L: Rated 9

Pros: good walk around lens, quiet and fast focusing, good price new, sharp images, great bokeh.

Cons: No tripod collar(expenssive to buy), not ideal for indoor or low light.

Review:

Well after owning a Sigma 70-300mm APO Macro DG and getting this lens, it’s definitely a different league. I do think that the Sigma lens is a great all around consumer lens for the price, but it just wasn’t cutting it for me.

I quickly learned that you have to pay the price for quality glass, and the only serious “L” series lens I contemplated on getting was the 70-200mm F.4 L and the F2.8 and the 2.8 IS version.

Both F2.8 was way over my budget and though I would’ve loved this lens I found myself looking at the F4 and found a great deal for a used one. A few days later and $600CAD later I was a proud owner of the Canon 70-200mm F.4 L

I was immediately impressed with the quality of images this lens produced. Color and contrast was richer, bokeh is very smooth and with a steady hand or mounted on a tripod this lens produces sharp images. I compared my shots with the Sigma and though the sigma got soft from 200-300mm it wasn’t that far in sharpness compared to the Canon lens. However, the bokeh is much nicer and because of this, in my opinion the canon seems sharper giving the image a 3d look. The images seem to pop out at you. If you are anything like me, I still had a hard time getting sharp images on the long range due to my own lack of ability to hold the camera still, stopping down helps combined with a higher shutter speed. This is where I wish I could afford the 2.8 IS. However with good technique images are sharp on all focal lengths. I still have much to learn in regards to technique. This lens also makes great portrait pictures, great for outdoor shots. I use this lens with my Canon Digital Rebel XT (350D) and together, it is a sweet combination.

Build:

The body of the lens made out of metal I believe is very sturdy and well built. At 705g it’s still light enough to use as a walk around lens. A few people have complained about the off white color but I like it, especially in the hot sun, it doesn’t attract as much sun as a black lens would, but heads will turn to see what in the world you are holding.
    This is the first time I’ve had a lens with USM (ultrasonic motor). Man is it ever quiet compared to the Sigma. I was so used to the noisy motor that when I first used this lens I was pleasantly surprised how quiet it was. Focusing is fast in good light but struggles a bit in shade or low light situations which are expected at f4. The inner focusing is great as well, compared to lenses like my Sigma that extends and can attract dust.

Price:

For a relatively new photographer like myself, this lens is a great buy even new; however it is quite pricey here in Canada starting at $800CAD before taxes. If you can find a used one in great condition for around $500U.S I would highly recommend this lens. With the results I’ve been getting from this lens, I quickly forgot the money that was spent on it and I’m very pleased with it. In the long run, it would prove to be a good investment.

Conclusion:

This lens will be loved by amateur or pro, it delivers sharp quality images with good technique, compact enough for a walk around zoom. Being the cheapest L zoom lens in the “L” series line up, this lens gets top marks from me. I’ll have this lens in my bag for a long time…unless I get a wealth of money somewhere one day and I can afford the f2.8 L IS, this lens is my baby!

Would I buy this lens again? Yes, definitely! having said that, although i love this lens, having either of the 2.8 versions would appeal to me more, mainly for the faster focusing. Now if they made a 2.8 version built like the f4 with IS, that would be perfect.
    Last edited by Tyger; 11-14-2005 at 08:57 AM.
    Canon Digital Rebel 350D (XT)
    Canon 100-400mm F4.5 L, 85mm 1.8 18-55mm,

You create your reality.

Thumbs up Canon EF 70-200 f/4 L - 9

Pros: very good build quality, sharp, light, comparatively small, cheap, nice bokeh. zoom and focus rings turn very smoothly.

Cons:
    focus not as fast as i expected, but still quite good. large flare spot if shooting the moon off center (EDIT: that's with the canon 1.4x TC - did not try the same shots without the TC, so I'm not sure if it is a fault of the lens or the TC or both. Just another reason i have not rated this lens yet) - have not experienced flare during daytime yet.

Would I buy again? At this early point, yes. Heck I literally spent several months researching and deciding between the 100-400L IS, 80-400 OS, 70-200L f2.8, 70-200L IS, 100-300 f4, sigma 70-200 f2.8, and this lens. It even came down to this lens and the 80-200L f2.8 right before I made my purchase.

At times I wish I could get even more background blur than I can at f4 for portraits, but Iíve actually had a tough time getting enough DOF below F4 for portraits anyways, or maybe I just need more portrait shooting experience. Having a larger aperture for use with a 1.4x TC would be nice too. The 3 main reasons I bought this lens were small size/weight, closest focus distance of all the lenses I considered (for shooting indoors), and that ďLĒ quality look to itís images. So far none of the competing lenses offer the same optics/performance in a weight and size that comes close. Size/weight is a big deal to me, a guy who sometimes carries a bunch of gear on his back all day. Since I take my gear bag anywhere there might be a good photo opportunity, I didnít want a lens that I might leave at home due to itís size.

Thumbs up Sigma 15mm f/2.8 EX Diagonal Fisheye - 9.5

Pros: extremely wide angle (equal to about 16 or 17mm after 1.6x crop, even better on a Nikon 1.5x) for a low price, good build quality, quiet AF for a non-HSM motor, smooth focus ring, accurate AF, good lens cap design, low flare (very important for an ultra-wide). fisheye effect is easily corrected with free software with excellent results. very sharp at f2.8 - as sharp as my 50mm at 2.8.

Cons: does not sharpen up as much my other lenses when stopped down to f4, AF/MF switch is stiff (but that's just nit-picking - no point deduction)

Would I buy again? Yes. with affordable FF on the horizon the 10-20 and 10-22 lenses are not as appealing IMO. the 15mm would become even wider on FF, and the semi-fisheye effect is sometimes welcome or even undetectable (at least on 1.6x).

Thumbs up tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di - 8

note: this is a revised update to my previous review of this lens

author: ReF
    is this lens worth the price? yes
    would i buy this lens again? leaning towards no - see below

--------------------------------------------------------

pros: extremely high sharpness and contrast for a zoom. Iím not kidding- it beats out my two L and even my ultra wide prime. second in sharpness and contrast under the 50mm f1.8 mk I out of the lenses i own. great price, good build quality, small and light - especially compared to the competition, decent macro performance for a lens of this type (though not at all comparable to real macro performance) AF noise level well controlled when the AF is not hunting. When it does hunt, the noise can be a little distracting, but is a lot quieter that some non HSM sigmas and non USM canons. An incredible value for itís price/optical performance.

cons: slowish focusing, not alway accurate at 75mm. EDIT: I originally bought this lens for indoor use of moving subject and wasnít totally satisfied with it for this purpose, but I bought a bounce flashed and didnít use it much for this purpose since. Recently I was in a situation once again with dim lighting and moving subjects, but couldnít use a flash. For this purpose this lens failed miserably. Instead I opted to use my 17-40L f4, figuring that shooting a f4 and getting darker pictures is much better than a lens that would not AF at all. the 17-40L f4 on the other hand was VERY quick to focus and with it I was able to capture some very nice images that I was very pleased with. For this reason I bumped my rating of this lens down from 9 to 8. This used to be my most used lens but the AF was always hesitant, and it seems that the 17-40 always ends up taking over itís purposes due to the Lís superior AF capabilities.

would i buy it again?: I donít know at this point. Maybe not. I think I might have to replace this lens with two fast focusing primes. Why? Because while the sharpness and contrast are incredible, but I keep missing shots with this lens. There really isnít any competition at this price though. The canon 24-70L f2.8 seems to deliver in the AF department but from the examples Iíve seen, isnít better than the tamron optically (except maybe bokeh) and costs about 3x more. Itís too bad - with good AF speed and accuracy this would be a killer lens, and on FF the focal length of this lens would definitely see a lot of use.
    canon 17-40 L, 70-200 f2.8 L, 400 f5.6 L, 50 f1.4 & f1.8, 1.4x TC, sigma 15 f2.8 fisheye, flash 500 DG Super, kenko extension tubes

note to self: don't participate in sad, silly threads unless you're looking for sad, silly responses.

"anti-BS filter" (from andy): http://dcresource.com/forums/showpos...94&postcount=4