Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Beginner SLR Recommendations

I am a beginner and would like to invest some time and a bit of money into becoming familiar with SLR cameras and lenses. I plan to take a course and put the camera to some good use so I wanted something that would allow me to learn the basic functions but also provide me with options to go to more advanced levels. After doing some research I think that a Canon EOS Rebel T2i Digital SLR Camera would give me a solid start. Any other suggestions? Comments?
    Also, the choice of lenses is a question. I was thinking either EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens and EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM or just a single higher end lens with 3rd generation image stabilization. Mu budget is about 1100 for the body, the lenses etc. Any advice?

Get the T2i, the 18-55, and the 50 mm f/1.8. That's a fine starter kit.
    Adam
    -------------
    Canon 60D & lenses & flashes & stuff
    A bunch of cheap vintage film cameras

My Etsy store

All the major camera manufacturers make good inroductory models. They vary in details, such as size, control and menu layout, viewfinder, and some minor features. I suggest that you try to get to a good camera shop where you can try out as many models as possible, to see what suits you best - for example, if you have large hands, you might find some of the smaller cameras awkward to hold.

As far as the Canon kit you list goes, that's fine if it suits you - I would leave the higher range lenses until you have more experience of what you want. However, I'd suggest you also check out the Nikon D3000 and D5000, the Pentax K-x, the Sony A380, and the Olympus E620.

I purchased the Canon T1i with the 18-55 kit lens. Wasn't to impressed with the lens. I now wish I had bought just the body and put the saved money towards a better lens.

There is no such thing as a bad camera these days but there are cameras that people find uncomfortable to use and if it's uncomfortable it won't get used and will be a paperweight.
    Go to a camera shop and try the major brands out. You will find that one or maybe two feel more comfortable to you than the others. Within brands the feel of cameras is always similar so if you are happy with a Canon you will most likely be okay with all Canons same with Nikon, Pentax and Sony.
    Once you know what brand you are after you can start looking at models and lenses and the like.