Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuji and RAW

Fuji and RAW

Is Fuji's RAW format one of those odballs that Adobe Elements 4 (or even Photoshop) cannot handle?

If so, what other way is there to process Fuji's RAW?
    (I assume Fuji would be glad to sell me their expensive proprietary software to do this, but then I'll have to shell out big bucks for this software - for a camera I may dispose in 2-3 years.)

Any help would be appreciated.
    StanInNY

Wink raf raw files

good day StanInNY
    my answer; HS-V2 Version 3.0a hyper utility software (yeah not cheap) plus free upgrade...to recognise the s 9500 or so like,
    plus picassa or finepixviewer or
    wait till january, couple of well priced programs may unlock the connection with the s 9500,
    the delay may be due to its sensor, supposedly more challenging (to figure out for software companys),
    dont qoute me in camera shops,it is a well know internet gossip,
    but close to happend,
    there may be some smart pants that will give you more realistic answer,
    but for time been (know your choices)
    keep posting,
    keep well,
    and to all of you out there;cmon help the man!
    this issue is growing slowly so far, but give or take some more weeks
    and more people will ask the dam raw question,
    kind regards
    zdzislaw
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by zdzislaw; 11-06-2005 at 04:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zdzislaw
    my answer; HS-V2 Version 3.0a hyper utility software (yeah not cheap) plus free upgrade...to recognise the s 9500 or so like, plus picassa or finepixviewer or wait till january, couple of well priced programs may unlock the connection with the s 9500, the delay may be due to its sensor, supposedly more challenging (to figure out for software companys),

...and to all of you out there;cmon help the man!
    this issue is growing slowly so far, but give or take some more weeks
    and more people will ask the dam raw question,
    Thanks for the quick answer zdzislaw. You pretty much confirmed what I was afraid of - that it's hard to find a way to process Fuji's RAW. I looked up the first alternative, HS-V2, and saw that it's what Fuji sells (Big $$$'s). Since it's not going to pay for itself (I'm not going to use it for business), that's not an option.

You mentioned Picassa and Finepixviewer. I heard of Picassa, and that it's free, something I wouldn't expect to be able to process RAW files that even Photoshop can't. And the Finepixviewer sounds like it's only a ...viewer, not for processing RAW files. I'll look them both up on the web.

I want to use this for the Finepix E900 rather than the S9000, but both cameras have the same problem accessing the Fuji RAW format. I Hope this issue gets resolved soon
    StanInNY

Free RAW Converter for many Fuji's

HEY Zdzislaw!
    I found a RAW converter for your S9500 and many other Fuji's- and it's free.
    Check it out here:

http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconVa...919/s7raw.html

I spent the whole day looking for a converter for the E900, then gave up when I realized it'll take a while for one to appear since the E900 just hit the stores last week. So I gave up on my search, but at least I found something that you and others can use

I'd be interested to hear how well it works for for people with the following cameras, which it's supposed to support: Fujifilm Finepix S7000, S5000, S20pro, S700, SF710, F810, E550, S5500, S5100, S9000, S5200, S9500, S5600, S2pro and S3pro.

At the bottom of the page there's a link to a tutorial on this converter, and another link covering Fuji RAW converters.

Feedback requested,
    StanInNY

Vinnie77 Guest

Fuji and raw

it's all quite easy. In http://www.adobe.com go to support/downloads/photoshop

Download: Adobe DNG Converter and Camera Raw 3.3 Beta

replace the camera raw plugin in library/applications/adobe/plugins/cs2/file formats

copy the Adobe DNG Converter to your applications folder and either drag a fuji raw file onto the converter or open the converter and tell it to convert the folder containing the fuji raw files (.raf). it will convert them to dng files.

Dng files can be opened as raw files in photoshop (in a popup panel) to develop. Then save or open it from the panel into photoshop and save as tiff or psd or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie77
    it's all quite easy. In http://www.adobe.com go to support/downloads/photoshop

Download: Adobe DNG Converter and Camera Raw 3.3 Beta

replace the camera raw plugin in library/applications/adobe/plugins/cs2/file formats

copy the Adobe DNG Converter to your applications folder and either drag a fuji raw file onto the converter or open the converter and tell it to convert the folder containing the fuji raw files (.raf). it will convert them to dng files.

Dng files can be opened as raw files in photoshop (in a popup panel) to develop. Then save or open it from the panel into photoshop and save as tiff or psd or whatever.
    Hi Vinnie77,

First: It's no longer a problem for me because I'm no longer considering the Fuji E900, since that unit's low-light sensitivity (which I had hoped would be similar to the Fuji F10's fantastic sensitivity - upto ISO 1600) was compromised by Fuji squeezing in more megapixels (9 megapixels, to be exact; it can be set as high as ISO 800, but reviews & forums that I read indicate that its USABLE ISO goes only up to ISO 400). So I purchased a Fuji F11 from Japan (which has more manual controls and a better LCD screen than the F11). Both the F10 & F11 don't support RAW at all, so I don't need a converter for this camera. And both of them have are usable at ISO 1600, though 800 is better.

I do plan to buy a dSLR in a few months, but Fuji doesn't have the the same light-sensitivity-advantage in its dSLR's (maybe a slight advantage of going as high as 3200 instead of some other mfr's going only up to 1600, but I'm not sure about this). My dSLR will be a Konica-Minolta unit because I already have Konica-Minolta lenses for my 35mm K-M Maxxum 7. (It might be from Konica-Minolta-Sony, because Sony has partnered with K-M to produce dSLR's).

Second: It's not as simple as you suppose. Fujifilm's sensors are different from all other manufacturer's sensors because their photocells are hexagonal or octagonal (6 or 8 sided, I forgot which) with smaller cells that are sensitive only to the high frequency part of the spectrum interspersed among the larger cells. So developing a converter for Fujifilm's sensors is much harder. Unlike most camera manufacturers, Fujifilm does not share the internal specs of its sensors with anyone - not even Adobe. So Adobe has to work hard to support Fujifilm cameras. (For example, Nikon & Canon provide their sensors' specs to Adobe, and Nikon recently provided its specs to Microsoft so that users will not even have to buy Photoshop or Elements; instead, they will probably soon be able to tweak the RAW files with some sort of free standard RAW converter, or perhaps an inexpensive one. Once the RAW modifications are made, they'll be able to use any 3rd file .jpg program to further modify the image

The E900 just hit the stores in November, so it will not be suported by Adobe for quite a while - if at all, since Adobe tends to support mostly dSLR's and high end fixed-lens cameras (mostly with large zooms), and also because it'll take a while till Adobe comes up with a plugin for the E900 (I think the E900's sensor is 1/1.6" sensor, which makes it a totally new one - no previous Fuji model has a 1/1.6" sensor as far as I know.)

Third (I think this was mentioned in one of my previous posts): The RAW converter that Fuji includes in the box with its cameras is crippled to the point of being useless. They charge $200 clams for the non-crippled one. Maybe they figure this will make "serious" photographers stick with Fuji because of their "investment." But not me.

Smile quite easy? hmmm...

hello to all,
    glad to hear from you again stanInNY,
    specially in this important issue,
    myself did not have the patience or the technicall knowledge(read the other way round) to be drawn back into this importent subject,
    let hope that your post will explain the raw game to most of fuji followers,

just read one of the adode photoshop bibles(554 pages of it and very entertaining book it is) stating that some manufactures cant be bother to co-operate with, and at the end we are those fools to pay for it,
    also read in many forums that some people steering away from top fuji cameras because of the raw issue, pitty,
    just wonder do they have shareholders,or is this show run by one man band,
    personally i am one of those donkeys that could not be bothered any longer and forked out $$$ for fuji hs-v2 software,
    good or bad, i like my photography and could not be bothered with searching and keep waiting and trying softwares,

as i am digging deeper into the digitall field, my mind is getting made up,
    dont know how soon, but will consider moving to nikon or canon camp
    (been with both for years during my 35 mm film 'mission')
    this is my personal opinion (as for today),
    and i am not looking for creating any flames(fuell included,hahaha)
    been reading other forums and people share their opinions there,
    i would like to urge you dear fuji followers to also open up and share your 'state of mind' by writing a post or two,
    and finally back to yor stan,
    really enjoyed your technical knowledge,done your 'homework' well,
    taking my hat off,
    thats all folks,
    keep well,
    kind regards
    zdzislaw
    fuji s 9500
    ps.kind remainder::: may sound silly but to responding to mine or any post, the world can see it,
    and this is the beauty of it,
    simple but think about it

Fuji Raw

Helllo All,

On my PC I use PS CS. Just bought a laptop ( after years of wanting one ). After downloading and trying trial graphics programs for my laptop, I purchased Adobe Photoshop Elements 4, for $49.99 after rebates.

With Adobe's Raw Converter 3.3 I can now open my S9000 RAW files and adjust for color temp and etc.

The instructions are on Adobe's web site.

It works very easily. No need to buy Fuji's expensive software.

Now I can use S9000 RAW when write times are not important.

Regards, Nicholas

Cool raw adobe...

hi nick,
    thanks for the post,
    did check on the net, people use 3.3 and say that is a fine thing(more or less your words),
    folowing your advice and went to adobe usa site and could not find nothing about supporting fuji s 9500,
    aspecially nothing in dng format, because that what you use i assume?

anyhow as i stated before i paid my price,
    simply could not keep searching for weeks,
    i read that people are willing to wait for monts or so,looking for cameras and software,

my passion starts today and today i do it,
    gain or loose,
    i call it passion, not a calculated hobby,
    thats my explanation to the world about paying high price,(not allways the smartest way to go),
    nothing personal,

i allways consider my self better 'photographer' than technician,

almost forgot(got hot under the collar) congratulation on your laptop computer,that what i use while on the go, (specially to check the forum haha),
    either laptop or pda,fun all day long,not to mentioned working on your files in coffe shops, and thats what i call a bonus, alleluja, amen!

back to you advice;

let hope that people will follow your path and find the new adventure of raw challenging,
    sending another of mine night homeworks,
    enjoy,
    once again,
    thanks nick for your advice,
    keep well,
    kind regards
    zdzislaw

How to convert Fuji RAW (RAF) in batch mode

Try Ivan Image Converter. It converts Fuji RAW (RAF files) to JPEG, GIF, BMP, PNG, etc. (44 output formats) in Batch Mode. Command Line support. Learn more: http://www.ivanview.com/converter/fu...converter.html