Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

shoot the moon?!

HEY... I wanna take pictures of the moon with my canon 20D. Though every time I take one it always looks like a dumb flashlight... anyone know how to shoot night shots???

what should the settings be set to???

I'm no pro but have you tried using Spot Metering (or Partial Metering on your 20D) and expose for the moon itself as opposed to using the default Evaluative metering? You can take a look at some half decent photos I've taken of the moon here:

http://www.alragom.com/v/moon/

(To see my exposuse settings select "Display Mode: Detail", then "Photo Properties: Details" at the bottom of each photo, although you might want to shoot at smaller apertures such as f/11 or f/16 to get a more detailed moon shot, use a tripod and a shutter release cable/auto timer as well to avoid camera shake).

There's a very nice thread here related to moon photos so you can take a look at lots of pictures that people have taken of the moon with different settings:

http://dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7132
    Last edited by Firas; 11-04-2005 at 02:23 AM.
    Canon PowerShot S2 IS
    www.alragom.com

Last I took a pic of the moon, I had to use a relatively short exposure time to keep it from blowing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Badams
    HEY... I wanna take pictures of the moon with my canon 20D. Though every time I take one it always looks like a dumb flashlight... anyone know how to shoot night shots???

Try f.4 1/125

http://static.flickr.com/31/35509254_343f577754_o.jpg

This was shot with a Canon S2 at ISO 50, f/7.1, 1/200 sec. with spot metering. You should be able to do a lot better with your 20D!

What lens are you using?

hey, i just did this a while ago too so here's my moon shot, also with an S2 w/the 1.7x olympus teleconverter.

1/250 F/4 I think...

If you are getting overexposure then reduce the exposure with -EC.
    I was shooting the mooon at over 600mm and was still not satisfied. I feel I need 800mm to get the image I need.

I used partial and -2/3 EC to get a good exposure.
    Are you using a tripod?
    I was shooting at ISO 100, F/10, 1/2 sec.
    US Navy--Hooyah!

Nikon D700/D300|17-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, Sigmalux, 80-200 f/2.8, 16 f/2.8 fisheye,

Lots of flashes and Honl gear.

Experiment!

That's all I can tell you. Others have given specific recommendations on what settings to use, but I didn't have those when I took my pictures of the moon with my S2 IS. If you use full frame metering or matrix metering, the camera tries to bring out the "details" in the "underexposed" sky, and you end up with the light-bulb effect you mentioned. Spot metering improved things, but as I remember it wasn't right either (can't remember if it was too bright or too dim). I would suggest (note: you'll need a tripod for this) putting the camera in manual mode closing the aperture as far as possible (highest F-Stop) to get great detail. Then adjust the shutter speed to get the result you want (don't forget to half-click the shutter to get the real preview at that F-Stop).

Take your time, take lots of pictures, and you'll get something great.

I've been meaning to re-do my moon shots since I just got the tele-converter for the S2 IS, but the last time the moon was full since I got it, it was cloudy here.

Good luck, and post some pics when you get 'em.

Shooting the moon

I found the camera does a good job of working out the lighting though I usually set for a slight underexposure 1/3 to 2/3 stop using the M mode and watching the exposure levels at halfway shutter button. I use spot metering and I use the 2 second timer with a tripod.

Here' a couple shots I tried the other evening/night. The smaller is at 12x zoom the other at full 48x with the native lens.
    Attached Images Attached Images