Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

mickey012 Guest

Question SanDisk 1GB Extreme III vs. A-DATA Turbo 2GB?!

Hi, I just placed an order for the Canon SD400 digital camera @ Amazon, and I'm browsing through the SD cards. So far, I have my eyes on two of them...A-Data & Sandisk Extreme III.

My boyfriend has the Extreme III, but I found the A-Data on NewEgg for the similar price (not to mention it has a higher read/write rate by 2mb AND it has 1gb+). Is the A-Data Turbo compatible with the SD400? And which one is the better buy?

I hate to burst your bubble, but you have no use for an Extreme III with an SD400 (it's not about your ability but rather the camera's inability to take advantage of high-speed cards). Only DSLR's take advantage of fast cards. At most, you would want to get an Ultra II which retails for almost the same as a normal card.

You don't even need the Ultra II with that camera, the basic SanDisk card works just fine at all speeds.

-dave-

The sandisk has a faster write speed of 20MB/s while that of Adata is only capped at 15MB/s, although read speed of the adata is faster. But, i guess with that camera, either makes no difference at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex914
    Only DSLR's take advantage of fast cards.
    This isn't true. While DSLRs can take advantage of faster cards, a lot of the new digicams can as well, such as my Kodak P850. Those most of the time you may only see an improvement when taking video. If your camera supports the RAW format, a faster card will likely help as well.

There are also some digicams that are limited to a max 1GB size capacity, so need to check if your camera can support cards greater than 1GB.