Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question Canon SD550, Fuji F10 or Panasonic DMC-FX9?

Budget
    Budget sufficient for each one of the three. (max. EUR 500)

Size
    Ultra Compact, but no need for Sony T7 size. All three sizes will suffice.

Features
    5, 6 or 7 is all good, resolution isn't everything is it?

* What optical zoom will you need?
    Standard = 3x-4x

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
    image quality (9)

Do you care for manual controls?
    Do i need them? I am a point and clicker, but I think I do care for 'best shot' like settings.

General Usage
    * What will you generally use the camera for?
    Point and Click, portability is important.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    Sometimes, mostly big prints will be panorama's, created from multiple images.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
    Yes

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
    Not much

Miscellaneous
    Are there particular brands you like or hate?
    I hate Sony.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    Canon SD550, Fuji F10, Panasonic DMC-FX9?

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    Image stabilization would be nice, no one likes blurry photo's and i'm not very steady handed I think.
    Speed is important (no shutter delay, image writing on card, continuous shooting)
    Battery life is important, but I WILL be buying an extra battery.

I've read several reviews, but I cannot decide which is best, the Fuji has a crappy menu and LQ lcd but high image quality, the Canon is most expensive with LQ lcd, the Panasonic is not known to me as camera brand and has a HQ lcd. For a point and clicker like me, do I need manual modes? Or will some modes like 'flower', 'fireworks', 'sport' suffice?

I hope you can help me out a bit.

Ronald

I would go with the FX9 personally. Panasonic certainly isn't really known widely as a camera manufacturer, but they use Leica lenses. Not to mention the FX9 has image stabilization. If you don't want to mess around with settings, then Auto or scene modes should work fine. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason25
    I would go with the FX9 personally. Panasonic certainly isn't really known widely as a camera manufacturer, but they use Leica lenses. Not to mention the FX9 has image stabilization. If you don't want to mess around with settings, then Auto or scene modes should work fine. Hope this helps!
    The FX9 will most certainly not give "image quality: 9". It is noisy as hell, for a 6mp camera. Its colours are not very accurate. It is just not a great camera, its one redeeming quality is the 6x zoom range that is unusual but its lens is nothing special quality wise.

The FX8 is better actually, not so noisy. Both have big shutter lag for a modern camera.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Quote Originally Posted by coldrain
    The FX9 will most certainly not give "image quality: 9". It is noisy as hell, for a 6mp camera. Its colours are not very accurate. It is just not a great camera, its one redeeming quality is the 6x zoom range that is unusual but its lens is nothing special quality wise.

The FX8 is better actually, not so noisy. Both have big shutter lag for a modern camera.
    Oops, I was just going by the models listed, didn't want to read that long list LOL. I guess I just like cameras with OIS Yeah, the Panasonic noise issue is what made me choose my Sony H1 over the FZ cameras, even though they're rated so highly. I haven't been a fan of the SD series lately. The F10 is soon to be replaced if I'm not mistaken, but has great low-light shooting from everything I've read/heard.

Quote Originally Posted by coldrain
    Well I put the IQ 9 there to have it specified, 8 would be enough I quess. I am a pixel freak, but not with the zoom-in freakishness. The images must print very good on standard 10x15cm. And I don't really understand all they (reviews) say about noise at higher ISO levels and so on. I am not a professional photographer you know.

Now I have a HP 612 and that hasn't satisfied me since i've bought it 4 years ago. It's very grainy, especially in the dark, only has 2,3 MP and the batterylife....well do they call that life? It literally EATS batteries.

Ronald

Quote Originally Posted by najarip
    Well I put the IQ 9 there to have it specified, 8 would be enough I quess. I am a pixel freak, but not with the zoom-in freakishness. The images must print very good on standard 10x15cm. And I don't really understand all they (reviews) say about noise at higher ISO levels and so on. I am not a professional photographer you know.

Now I have a HP 612 and that hasn't satisfied me since i've bought it 4 years ago. It's very grainy, especially in the dark, only has 2,3 MP and the batterylife....well do they call that life? It literally EATS batteries.

Ronald
    To put it very simply: Noise at higher ISO levels = Grainy in the dark

On the other hand, it's not hard to find a camera that will make good standard sized prints these days! Noise is mostly visible when you view the photo at 100%, as opposed to a 4x6 print.
    Last edited by Jason25; 11-02-2005 at 11:45 PM.