Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tamron Question

Quote Originally Posted by Balrog
    Also, if you're wondering about digital SLR bodies, you can get a Pentax *istDS or DL body for about $550; or $650 with an 18-55 lens.
    Yes, that's the tough part for me. I hope these sky-high prices eventually come down to earth.

Right now am using a little el-cheapo, 3 megapixel, digital camera I got last Black Friday (Nov of 2004) at Sears. It was only $40 because I showed up well before the 6:00 AM opening time that day and nearly froze to death waiting outdoors on line exactly like the idiot I am.

Believe it or not I like the camera; probably because I do not know any better. But the camera has taught me a lot and it works reasonably well.
    Last edited by Tim Wilson; 10-28-2005 at 07:12 PM.

Update

Guys I last posted on this same thread a little more than forty months ago. This is an update and I also need still more help:

My situation with the Tamron lenses remains the same as described earlier in this thread. They have been sitting over these last years . . . . . . waiting. There will not be much more waiting.

Today I bought a Sigma SD-14 body from Cameta. I just liked the camera and the value. I was able to get 10% off their normal price of $350. It has been a long wait and this seemed like the time, and the camera, to buy.

I will use my Tamron lenses as outlined earlier here. I already have the Adaptall-2 to M42 adapter as I wrote here back in 2005. I have done some homework and I know I need, in addition, the M42 to SA adapter. Also I realize these come in aluminum and in bronze.

Questions:

Please offer your counsel as to the best place to buy the M42 to SA adapters OTHER than eBay. I tried Cameta, and God knows they specialize in the SD-14 cameras, but they do NOT carry the M42 to SA adapters!!

Go figure.

Can anyone out there help. As I wrote earlier, money has been tight. It has taken me forty months to save up for my camera body now finally on order, I am really close, but without this adapter I cannot take pictures. If forced to do so I will buy it on eBay. But I am hoping there is an alternative.

BTW I have tried my local camera shops. No dice.

I want to state for the record I am aware my Tamron lenses on an SD-14 means no autofocus and manual operation in general. That's not a bigee for me. Maybe some day I will have enough for an actual Sigma lens. They make pretty good lenses from what I have read. But for now I will use my Tamron lenses, the best I could find for ten bucks (please see earlier posts for explanation).

Also, this has been a long saga and I don't want to mess up. If you have any other counsel it will be welcomed. Certainly I continue to appreciate the help you all offered me back in 2005.

Thanks guys

Tim
    Last edited by Tim Wilson; 03-18-2009 at 12:54 PM.

Reviving a 40 month old thread??
    I remember when I first joined this forum and reading this thread and couldn't even understand what was discussed about. LOL.
    Lots happened since and Coldrain has gone FROZEN and Balrog has gone back to the deep since the ONE ring was destroyed...
    I googled M42 to SA adapter just for interest and lots of links come up that you can follow. There is nothing wrong with turning to ebay for parts, just as long as you choose a seller with good feedback rating.
    40 months to save for a camera?
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Quote Originally Posted by tim11 View Post
    Lots happened since and Coldrain has gone FROZEN and Balrog has gone back to the deep since the ONE ring was destroyed...
    lmao...
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Reviving a 40 month old thread??
    I remember when I first joined this forum and reading this thread and couldn't even understand what was discussed about. LOL.
    I googled M42 to SA adapter just for interest and lots of links come up that you can follow. There is nothing wrong with turning to ebay for parts, just as long as you choose a seller with good feedback rating.
    40 months to save for a camera?
    I appreciate your reply. Thank you. And I respect your counsel. If I have done something wrong here, I apologize.

Everyone has different levels of financial resources. If your resources exceed mine, I wish you well and I admire your success. For me, it was a question of my savings going up AND camera prices/capabilities heading down. Yesterday, for me, the two met and I finally was able to buy my first SLR camera body.

Following such a long wait, it was a happy day.

No Tim. Sorry if I sound patronising, but I never meant to be.
    Such material things, cameras include, isn't an indication of of financial resources. You may exceed mine but everyone has different priority. I was just sort of amazed you are so patient.
    But it's now a happy day and welcome back to the forum.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

No Tim. Sorry if I sound patronising, but I never meant to be.
    Such material things, cameras include, isn't an indication of of financial resources. You may exceed mine but everyone has different priority. I was just sort of amazed you are so patient.
    But it's now a happy day and welcome back to the forum.
    Not at all. It is very kind of you to write as you did. Thanks!

Well, today I had more luck than a human being should be allowed to have. Having received my new Sigma SD-14 camera body yesterday, there remained the problem of mounting the Tamron lens. Now this is the very same lens mentioned in the first post of this thread. It is the

Tamrom SP 90mm F/2.5 model 52B

lens I bought at the thrift shop. My research indicates this Tamron is an excellent lens. And since I would have to pay more for a proper and modern Sigma lens than I did for the SD-14 camera body itself, it is a good and fortunate thing that I have the Tamron.

However

This Tamron lens is from an earlier era and was apparently designed for use on film cameras. As such, it incorporates a feature, activated by a small pin, to adjust the lens opening. Unactivated, the opening never stops down. As much as I appreciate having the Tamron lens, it is surely an anachronism from the standpoint of a Sigma SD-14 camera body, which has no mechanism to activate the small pin on the Tamron.

I had to work several hours on this, but finally was able to solve the problem after fabbing up, out of brass, a tiny collar. The collar defeats the Tamron mechanism, enabling me to gain control and set the opening as I wish. It was easy to accomplish this once I figured out how to do it, though making such a tiny collar with my big old fingers was a challenge.

Second problem also was solved with an abundance of good fortune:

The Sigma SD-14 camera body incorporates an SA mount. I needed an SA to M42 adapter to mount the Tamron lens. As I wrote in the first post, my thrift shop purchase included a Tamron Adaptall-2 Custom Mount which adapts to M42. Thus, two adapters were in the plan.

But SA to M42 adapters are not popular. They are sold on eBay by Chinese sellers and I did not want to wait. Also, the Chinese adapters are aluminum, which I do not favor.

I decided to take a chance and (knowingly) buy the WRONG adapter. I bought a brass PK to M42 adapter from a chap in Texas. The price was right and I received it in three days. Substitution of PK for SA is known to (sometimes) be problematic. However, I was very fortunate the PK I bought works fine. It even clicked into place, a small miracle, and it actually looks pretty good on the SD-14 camera body.

With the adapter in place, and with the mod I described above, it was possible for me to mount the Tamron lens onto the SD-14 body and, for the first time, look out through the lens using the viewfinder. This is my first DSLR camera, so it was quite a thrill finally to reach that point. I will have to await daylight tomorrow to see if I have focus to infinity. Certainly, I might not. But there are limits to how much good fortune one can have in a single day.

I must wait several more days, to receive the CF memory card I ordered, before I can take my first photo. If it goes as well as things did today, all will be fine.

As for the Sigma SD-14 camera body itself, well, it is the tank everyone says it is. I am a fairly big guy so a heavier camera I can grip is good for me. The controls are straightforward on this camera and, as the English say, "everything falls readily to hand".

It has been many years since I did anything with photography, I guess circa fifty years. As a teenager I took and developed my own colour slides (Ektachrome) and colour photos (Ansco Colour Printon). It was quite a painstaking process in those days, taking a couple of hours. I expect to find creating photographs with a Sigma SD-14 much easier.

Finally, everything I ever did back in those days required manual setting of lens opening, exposure, and distance. So using this Tamron manually will not be new to me. The only problem I was having, now solved, was not knowing what "ISO" meant. After a little research, I now realize "ISO" means the same as "ASA". And I know how to work with ASA numbers. So I am good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Wilson View Post
    This question may be somewhat OT for this group. If so I apologize in advance. Still I hope you might be able to help me. There is a story which must precede my question:

As I do each week, yesterday I visited our local VOA (thrift store). You NEVER know what you will find. Yesterday I found and purchased two camera lenses and an adapter:

*Tamrom SP 90mm F/2.5 model 52B
    *Tamron-SP 2X Tele Converter model 01F
    *Tamron Adaptall-2 Custom Mount

All three items were in original packaging with all covers/protectors intact and in place. Leather cases and straps were included with the lenses. The items were just as if bought in a store, and these items are new to the best of my abilty to judge. I paid just under ten bucks ($9.26) for the three items - not each, the total bill was $9.26.

Before anyone mistakes the reason for this post, the items are NOT for sale . . repeat not for sale. Do not even think about it or attempt to contact me for this reason.

But I would be grateful to know what I have bought. Are these lenses still being manufactured or are they old and outmoded? Are they well regarded by people in the know?

These items do not LOOK like or appear to be junk, but today appearances can deceive. Is this junk? I am suspicious only because the price was low.

If these are good lenses, as I hope is the case

*snip*
    Well, my goodness, how things do become more clear in the fullness of time!!

The above is my OP for this thread. Now, going on seven years later, and following the events of 2008, my little 52B in pristine shape is looking darn great for < US$10!!

I'm more into purchase of these old MF lenses now, but prices have soared on the good stuff. A decent Tamron 52B today can fetch US$75 or more. It's amazing considering they used to all but give this glass away . . . . and that surely was the case back in 2005.

If only I had known in 2005 what I know now.

Anyway, I'm on the trail of a Hexanon 50mm f1.7 locally for thirty bucks. It comes with a teleconverter, a decent accompanying zoom, and an old (but decent) Konica film camera. Am using the Hexanon AR series successfully with my Olympus E-PL1, registration distance being too short for my Sigma.

ETA

Temporal considerations being a feature of this thread, and avoidance of fog, fungus, etc. being so important, I want to share my secret to bringing these old lenses through time successfully:

Kitty litter

Yes, no jive. I use kitty litter, specifically the crystal variety, together with paper towels and a stapler to get the job done.

"Crystal" kitty litter is actually 100% silica gel. A large (4 pound) container costs < US$5. I fold and staple each paper towel on three sides to form a pocket, spoon in about four teaspoons of kitty litter, then fold over the fourth side and staple the entire thing closed. In it goes with the lenses into an air-tight container or plastic bag. The kitty litter, a voracious scavenger of moisture, helps the old lenses remain spotless.
    Last edited by Tim Wilson; 06-26-2012 at 03:08 PM.

Good to see you back Tim Wilson.
    And Coldrain hasn't thawed... Balrog still in the deep, while Rooz has gone hopping in the outback. Anyway, I can see you are very creative there.
    Nikon D90, D80

Good to see you back Tim Wilson.
    And Coldrain hasn't thawed... Balrog still in the deep, while Rooz has gone hopping in the outback. Anyway, I can see you are very creative there.
    Hey, tim11! Thanks! Just keeping the thread up, you know.

Have folks here given much thought to lenses (especially MF lenses in superior condition) as an investment??