Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tamron Question

Tamron Question

This question may be somewhat OT for this group. If so I apologize in advance. Still I hope you might be able to help me. There is a story which must precede my question:

As I do each week, yesterday I visited our local VOA (thrift store). You NEVER know what you will find. Yesterday I found and purchased two camera lenses and an adapter:

*Tamrom SP 90mm F/2.5 model 52B
    *Tamron-SP 2X Tele Converter model 01F
    *Tamron Adaptall-2 Custom Mount

All three items were in original packaging with all covers/protectors intact and in place. Leather cases and straps were included with the lenses. The items were just as if bought in a store, and these items are new to the best of my abilty to judge. I paid just under ten bucks ($9.26) for the three items - not each, the total bill was $9.26.

Before anyone mistakes the reason for this post, the items are NOT for sale . . repeat not for sale. Do not even think about it or attempt to contact me for this reason.

But I would be grateful to know what I have bought. Are these lenses still being manufactured or are they old and outmoded? Are they well regarded by people in the know?

These items do not LOOK like or appear to be junk, but today appearances can deceive. Is this junk? I am suspicious only because the price was low.

If these are good lenses, as I hope is the case, I hope someday to be able to afford a digital SLR camera back with which to use them. Are these lenses compatible with new digital camera backs? Will they fit, or can they be adapted to fit?

Thank you.

They seem to be a 90mm 1:2macro lens and matching 2x multiplier to give 1:1 macro ability. I suspect it is a manual focus lens. For you to figure out if you can use it on a digital SLR you will need to find out what make camera it is produced for, what camera mount it has. If it is for a Canon FD for instance, you can not use it anymore on Canon DSLR's.
    If it is for a Minolta, I think you might be able to still use it, i do not know for sure.

I seem to have its follow up, an 1:1 90mm f2.8 Tamron SP macro lens.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Coldrain wrote:

"For you to figure out if you can use it on a digital SLR you will need to find out what make camera it is produced for, what camera mount it has."

Tim Wilson responds:

Agreed. And thanks.

But I do not have the knowledge to help myself in this arena. The lenses have a bayonet style connector; that is all I know.

The Adaptall-2 adapter carries this label:

For Pentax (Universal) 42mm screw

I have played with this a little. The bayonet on either lens mates to one side of the adapter, the other side of the adapter being the 42mm Pentax screw.

But I do NOT know the native bayonet specification of the lenses. So if there is more than one bayonet spec, I do not know which one I have.

And I do not know if what I have is still current or completely outdated, perhaps like the lenses themselves.

If anyone has an insight on this stuff, I'd appreciate your sharing your knowledge.

Thanks.

Okay .. from what I've gleaned from the Pentax forum on DPreview, the Tamron 90/2.5 is a pretty high-class macro lens. The Adaptall series of lenses were produced by tamron so that the same lens could be attached to different lensmounts - all you need is the proper adapter.
    You say that the adapter you have is listed as being for 42mm pentax screw (this is also known as the M42 mount - it was used in Pentax SLRs for decades, until they came out with their current (bayonet) K-mount.)
    There's two things you could do - one is to try and find a Tamron Adaptall to Canon EOS mount (if they exist) .. the other is to get a Pentax M42 to Canon EOS mount (I know you can get these..) .. either way you could then put the adapter on the lens and then use it. It'll only be manual focus, and you might have to do stop-down metering, but it would work

Hmm .. I just did a quick google search and according to Bob Atkins there used to be an Adaptall->EOS but they haven't made 'em for like ten years so they're scarce. M42->EOS however is still around, and common. So you could go like Adaptall->M42->EOS and then put it on your camera.

Whoops, okay, I just realized you never mentioned you have a Canon SLR .. however, the principle still holds. Either you find an Adaptall->(your mount) converter, or since M42 was a very popular mount and there are converters for a lot of different mounts out there, you could try going Adaptall->M42->(your mount).

Of course, if you happen to have an old Pentax body lying around, you could use it on that

HTH

Balrog, thanks. Boy that sounds pretty good! Am starting to get a little excited here.

It has been roughly 40-45 years since I have played around with SLR cameras. I did not realize that today's cameras have an autofocus feature. So it is no bigee for me to have to focus the camera . . . any camera. I would not be able to afford to buy these lenses new, and I probably could not afford used autofocus lenses, either.

The adapter article was surely of interest. Adapter overall length appears to be an issue. But I now understand what I have bought apparently includes a bayonet crafted especially for Tamron adapters, of which I have but one of many which exist. This concept works for me.

You are correct I do not currently own a digital SLR camera back. Prices will have to fall before I can afford such an item. But it feels good already to own a usable lens for such a low price.

Thanks again.

I am liking my good fortune on this!

You got that right... that was one lucky find! On another note, if you just want to play around, you can often find old Pentax screwmount film bodies going on ebay for cheap .. I wouldn't be surprised if you could pick one up WITH a basic 50mm lens for under $50. Then you wouldn't even have to buy any extra adapters ..
    Last edited by Balrog; 10-28-2005 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Balrog
    You got that right... that was one lucky find! On another note, if you just want to play around, you can often find old Pentax screwmount film bodies going on ebay for cheap .. I wouldn't be surprised if you could pick one up WITH a basic 50mm lens for under $50. Then you wouldn't even have to buy any extra adapters ..
    And I bet you can find adapters for Pentax DSLR cameras like the *istDs, which, with its big nice viewfinder, is easy to manual focus.
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Oh yeah, definitely. In fact it's kind of a hobby among pentax SLR owners on the DPreview forum to collect old M42 lenses and use them.

Balrog wrote:

"On another note, if you just want to play around, you can often find old Pentax screwmount film bodies going on ebay for cheap."

Tim Wilson replies:

Thanks. Understood.

Full disclosure:

My dad passed away in the early 1990's leaving me his Miranda SLR film camera. It is old and I have not taken a photograph with this camera since owning it. But it works fine AFAIK. It was my dad's pride and joy.

Anyway, dad years ago fabbed up a PERMANENT adapter for his Miranda; it attaches to the Miranda body with screws. Dad was a machinist, among other things. I think the Miranda originally had a bayonet fitting (not really sure). But with the permanent adapter it now has a 42mm screw fitting. My new lens, using the Pentax adapter, screws right in!

So (finally now at the bottom line) to try these new lenses with FILM I do not have to buy anything!

And I do have a couple of (albeit SCSI but who cares) Polaroid slide scanners. These do a superb job of digitizing film images. So who knows what might happen next. I'm thinking. I'm thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Wilson
    So (finally now at the bottom line) to try these new lenses with FILM I do not have to buy anything!

And I do have a couple of (albeit SCSI but who cares) Polaroid slide scanners. These do a superb job of digitizing film images. So who knows what might happen next. I'm thinking. I'm thinking.
    That's cool .. do post scans if you try anything.
    Also, if you're wondering about digital SLR bodies, you can get a Pentax *istDS or DL body for about $550; or $650 with an 18-55 lens. The M42 adapter is around $30 or so I think.
    The Nikon D50 costs around the same amount, but I don't know about M42->F mount adapters.