Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

A cheap used camera with manual controls?

Camera Type

I'm looking for something that I could control. I don't like all those "automatic" settings, they take away the fun from photography. I do have a SLR, but the film and development costs are too high for me to handle... I think that would be a DLSR?

I've took a few shots with a SLR, and I enjoyed doing it a lot.

As I mentioned earlier, I want as much control over the camera as possible. I don't want any automatic settings that I can't control.

More versatile lens, as that would allow me to take a bigger variety of pictures for a cheaper price.

I don't care about compactness, I wouldn't sacrifice any features for that. In fact, I like the camera to be a bit stuffy, a small camera associates with a point-and-shoot to me.

Budget

Best would be around $40, but if that's impossible, I guess I could go as high as $60-70. Although this wouldn't reflect very well on my savings.

Preferably no. I get $200 a month. It's hard to get $40-70 as it is.

As long as possible. That also means that I am looking to get an enjoyable camera that I wouldn't hate, and wouldn't hate myself for thinking that I've wasted the money.

Usage

Macro photography, landscapes and portraits. No events, only city and nature.

No.

I'm not planning on that. Although, since we have long winters over here, it would be nice to be able to shoot during the night without phone quality pictures...

Since prints cost, I will be viewing them on my PC, and likely sharing them on some site.

I prefer the natural look of the pictures.

Miscellaneous

I would like to be able to shoot what I mentioned in the usage section. Of course I'd like fancier lenses, but they cost a lot.

My preference would be Nikon and Canon.

I think a DSLR may be very difficault to find for that money as even the old ones seem to hold their price for a few years. The other way is to go for a more advanced compact like a Canon A650 which has a lot of manual functions. But again they are probably twice your budget; you can not change lenses but DSLR lenses would probably be more than you can afford.
    It is a hard situation to be in but I think you are just going to have to keep a lookout for someone you know selling some equipment or perhaps a carboot sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    I think a DSLR may be very difficault to find for that money as even the old ones seem to hold their price for a few years. The other way is to go for a more advanced compact like a Canon A650 which has a lot of manual functions. But again they are probably twice your budget; you can not change lenses but DSLR lenses would probably be more than you can afford.
    It is a hard situation to be in but I think you are just going to have to keep a lookout for someone you know selling some equipment or perhaps a carboot sale?
    I see, I was afraid that would be the answer - my friend's too positive... We don't have carboot sales around here, and I don't know many people, or any people who are interested in photography.

Thanks for letting me know, I'll stop looking.

Yeah, that's pretty hard. I see an Olympus E-300, possibly the least respected DLSR ever, going for about $90 on eBay. But add a lens and it's $150. Every other DSLR I thought of was more expensive. The Nikon D-40, possibly the most over-rated DSLR of all time, is still going for outrageous prices that would have been more reasonable for when it was introduced.

There is a hyper-old Olympus E-20 in your price range. It has the manual controls, but it's antiquated and possibly does not have better image quality than a smart phone. Actually it probably does, but only to a discerning viewer who looks at more than just noise (it should have a much nicer lens, for example). It also does not change lenses but that shouldn't matter for your budget. Probably there are other similar cameras of that era.

Hmm, at the very low price point I would suggest looking into one of the older C series Olympus cameras. They were probably the original enthusiast compacts and all had full manual controls and very bright lenses in some. I still have my C5050Z even though I no longer use it. They also took AA batteries meaning there is no problem finding new batteries for a very old camera which is much more difficult for proprietary batteries.