Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Norman Camera is Awesome!

I'm sending my 24-70mm f/2.8L back. Front-focus (more like MIS-focus) at 24mm, f/2.8 was horrible and consistent on both XT bodies. Meanwhile the 70-200mm f/2.8L performed beautifully on the same 2 bodies.

I called Norman Camera and told them I was generally unhappy because of this problem. But I was reluctant to send it back since I have a wedding to shoot real soon. The sales lady told me she'd overnight a replacement at no extra charge for shipping, but only charge my credit card for the lens. She will include a return label, also at no extra charge, and credit my credit card for the return.

How awesome is that. I should have the replacement tomorrow, and I'll be able to return the defective one the same/next day!

PS: I called & managed to weasel the RC-1 Infrared Remote into that overnight shipment just for the cost of the remote :-)
    Last edited by cdifoto; 10-27-2005 at 09:23 AM.
    Ouch.

Nice one!

I do hope you land a good'n...But who knows? You might end up with one that's worse! Just gotta keep exchanging in that case.

Good luck! And keep us updated. Looks like I'll be landing one myself within the next week or two (I'm keeping everyhing crossed that I get a good one).
    Canon 5D ● Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L ● Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L ● Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L ● Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM ● Sigma EF-500 DG Super Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by ReValveiT
    Nice one!

I do hope you land a good'n...But who knows? You might end up with one that's worse! Just gotta keep exchanging in that case.

Good luck! And keep us updated. Looks like I'll be landing one myself within the next week or two (I'm keeping everyhing crossed that I get a good one).
    Yeah...it was sharp when it focused. But it missed too much on the wide like that I'm too afraid to take it to an important event. I'll exchange as much as I need to but if it's sharp like this one, and focuses when wide UNLIKE this one, it should be quite an awesome lens.

Other than that focus issue I was having, I fail to see why so many folks are complaining. It could be your typical case of those who complain are the loudest.

On the plus side, I'll have both lenses in hand tomorrow (or whenever they arrive) so I can at least pick out the better performing one, if the replacement doesn't blow this one away. Then just return the other.

UPDATE: Make that Saturday that I should have the replacement. They just called to tell me they were out of stock but didn't realize it. New shipment of lenses scheduled for tomorrow. Plus side: [Relatively] Fresh from factory batch. Less chance of getting a flawed misfocusing one from the same run. Negative Side: Gotta wait an extra day.
    Last edited by cdifoto; 10-27-2005 at 12:59 PM.
    Ouch.

Thumbs up RE: Norman Camera is awsome...

... Agreed. Great selection at a competitive price, quick turns, and the sales staff really know their stuff. One of these days I have to get to one of the stores when I'm up in Michigan.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm
    ... Agreed. Great selection at a competitive price, quick turns, and the sales staff really know their stuff. One of these days I have to get to one of the stores when I'm up in Michigan.
    Unlike my local shop, I like how they treated me with respect and didn't blame me for what was going wrong. I had $100 worth of 4x6's printed by my local camera store one time (Xmas pics) and they screwed every single one of 'em up...and blamed ME for it.

Normancamera didn't ask if I had done this or this or this. I told them I tried it on 2 bodies and the 70-200 on both bodies. I said the 70-200 was beautiful but the 24-70 wouldn't focus properly at 24mm. They agreed the lens definitely wasnt up to par and said they'd send a replacement for delivery tomorrow (now tomorrow for Sat. due to stock levels being 0). Easy as cake. No second guessing me like I'm 100% amateur and don't know misfocus when I see it.
    Ouch.

Very cool but, is that not a thread for the where to buy stuff forum?
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

Quote Originally Posted by coldrain
    Very cool but, is that not a thread for the where to buy stuff forum?
    Perhaps...but I always post in the Canon dSLR forum so it's kinda second nature to pop one in here when it's generally off-topic. However, it IS related to a Canon product.

Plus it was a two edged sword...accolades for Norman Camera and an update on my lens for those curious about the 24-70.
    Ouch.

that's good service. i'll probably be giving them a try next, whenever that is (broke )
    canon 17-40 L, 70-200 f2.8 L, 400 f5.6 L, 50 f1.4 & f1.8, 1.4x TC, sigma 15 f2.8 fisheye, flash 500 DG Super, kenko extension tubes

note to self: don't participate in sad, silly threads unless you're looking for sad, silly responses.

"anti-BS filter" (from andy): http://dcresource.com/forums/showpos...94&postcount=4

Quote Originally Posted by ReF
    that's good service. i'll probably be giving them a try next, whenever that is (broke )
    Yeah...I'm uberpoor again too...cuz I just got a second Grip + E1 strap for the other XT from B&H when they opened. In hindsight shoulda ordered from Norman but I ordered 'em before I decided to send the L back - so was more concerned with fastest/cheapest ground shipping. NY-PA vs MI-PA.
    Ouch.

I think it is more disturbing that an L lens which is supposed to be at the pinnacle of Canons lens hierarchy was delivered faulty
    John