Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Windmill Guest

NEF/RAW - Nikon D70S

I recently installed RawShooter essentials 2005 (WinXP) and was very impressed with the examples. However, I have a problem in that the Nikon D70S produces NEF (RAW) images and RawShooter requires RAW and won't display them.
    Can anyone suggest or point me in the right direction to locate a NEF (RAW)> RAW converter please?
    I've tried many converters that accept NEF and can convert to JPEG/TIFF etc but I need to work in RAW.
    Thanks in advance.

Windmill

Quote Originally Posted by Windmill
    I recently installed RawShooter essentials 2005 (WinXP) and was very impressed with the examples. However, I have a problem in that the Nikon D70S produces NEF (RAW) images and RawShooter requires RAW and won't display them.
    Can anyone suggest or point me in the right direction to locate a NEF (RAW)> RAW converter please?
    I've tried many converters that accept NEF and can convert to JPEG/TIFF etc but I need to work in RAW.
    Thanks in advance.

Windmill
    First, Nikon sent one with your camera. Nikon Capture give the best quality results of any converter for .nef. You do have to pay $99 for the license. However, have you even tried to open a .nef file in RawShooter Essentials? My copy works perfectly fine with Nikon .nef files. Mine are D70 files, not D70s. Maybe that's the difference.

Cheers,
    Eric

How 'bout Nikon View and Nikon PictureProject??? Don't any of you guys use one, the other, or both? They're FREE for the taking and my experience is that, while they may not be extraordinary, the two of them work really quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by thesween
    How 'bout Nikon View and Nikon PictureProject??? Don't any of you guys use one, the other, or both? They're FREE for the taking and my experience is that, while they may not be extraordinary, the two of them work really quite well.
    True, Nikon View is pretty decent for very basic editing work and simple convert. I don't have much use for Picture Project. Picture Project comes with the camera, and View is a free download. Neither will give you the same level of control that RawShooter Essentials has, but Capture will. Capture has a different workflow than RSE. Maybe not as workflow efficient. But it's no longer a performance toad, and IMO, well worth the money. RSE has some image quality issues. Minor, but people have had problems.

Cheers,
    Eric

Lightbulb Try Adobe RAW 3.2

Adobe released a RAW 3.2 updater which can now works with D70/50 NEF format. I'm using Photoshop elements 3.0 for Mac and opening NEF from my D50 is not only verry straighforward, but thw white balance is now preserved.

The new version of Raw Shooter Essentials (RAW Shooter Premium 2006) works perfectly with D70 / D50 .NEF files.