Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Questions about Fuji FinePix E550...

Hey folks,

I'm new here but I've been looking around at the feedback regarding the E550.

1st off, what's the deal with this camera?? Is it actually Fuji's "Edsel" or what?? My girlfriend has a 3 year old 5 Megapixel Canon Powershot and it blows my 6.3 M/P FinePix away!!! (her pics come out nice and clear whereas mine tend to come out grainy)

Are there any tips or secrets I need to know to get this thing to work properly?? Or am I stuck with a camera that takes good pictures when it wants to???

Any help/hints would be appreciated. Thanks!!

bumping this up to the top....

What image size are you using? Stick to the 6mp setting for best results. Or, shoot in 12mp and resize to 6 in processing. Also, make sure the camera isn't set to ISO800!! Or ISO400 for that matter. Ideally, you want to compare the two on identical settings.

I have an E550 and I personally think it takes awesome pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by swgod98
    What image size are you using? Stick to the 6mp setting for best results.
    I'm using the 6MP setting.

Also, make sure the camera isn't set to ISO800!! Or ISO400 for that matter. Ideally, you want to compare the two on identical settings.
    What do you suggest is the best setting??

I have an E550 and I personally think it takes awesome pictures.
    Hopefully, (and eventually) I'll be able to agree with you!!

Thanks for getting back to me. I never got an email that someone had replied to this thread.

Well, I always keep the camera set to ISO80, 6mp setting. I haven't used the camera in a while. Maybe you should post a pic or two...?

Canon's typically produce very good images, but they shouldn't "blow the fuji away".

Worst case, just trade camera's with your gf!! :P

Okay....

I changed it to an ISO80 setting and I used the 6M that I was already using...

My girlfriend was here and we took a test picture with hers and mine...below is the result after resizing. Her's is the first one....why is mine so DARK??

Thanks!!

Ahh..Well, that's interesting. It looks like the Canon's flash is more powerful than the Fuji's (or the Fuji decided to hold back flash power so it didn't overexpose)!! I don't have my Fuji in front of me, but you might want to check to see if there is a flash setting...

Other than that, the images look pretty close to being identical

You should also try a non-flash test.

I don't see anything wrong with the Fuji image - I'd actually say it's a more even exposure than the Canon, and there's less of a blown highlight in the middle from the flash reflection.

As swgod said, you should try some non-flash shots too.
    Pentax *ist DS
    smc-P DA 18-55 f/3.5-5.6
    My flickr gallery

Just checked last night...there is a flash setting on the E550. Press the Menu button and go all the way to the end (right). It's either the last or second to last option. Check to see if it's at 0...In any case, you could raise it up a couple notches to make it brighter.