Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

NEW FZ30: Qs re: image processing

Folks -

I am a new FZ30 owner, and it will be replacing a much loved DSC-F707. I have a coouple of questions regarding processing he images.

First, I am a Photoshop user (v 5.5). I am concerned at the slow rate of transfer for: 1) viewing images in either Photo Fun Studio, the Lumix Simple Viewer, or ArcSoft. For example, I have about 30 5MP images on my SD Card (a 133x SanDisk).

First, when I try to upload them into one of the Panasonic software programs for viewing, it takes as long as five minutes. This is much, much longer than my sony takes for the same number of similarly sized images. Is this normal? (The fastest seems to be in Photofun Studio, which I configure to show only small thumbnails.)

Second, does the camera automaticall save a JPEG of the same image when I set it to TIFF? Upon uploading, there is a JPEG copy of each TIFF image.

Third, what have forum members found to be the fastest workflow to view images and delete the junk, then move the ones that nake the cut into an imaging program such as Photoshop.

Thus far, the fasest way for me has been to launch Photoshop, then use the File/Open command in Photoshop to open the images.

Thanks in advance for anyhelp.

Regards-Mawgie

Quote Originally Posted by Mawgie
    Folks -

I am a new FZ30 owner, and it will be replacing a much loved DSC-F707. I have a coouple of questions regarding processing he images.

First, I am a Photoshop user (v 5.5). I am concerned at the slow rate of transfer for: 1) viewing images in either Photo Fun Studio, the Lumix Simple Viewer, or ArcSoft. For example, I have about 30 5MP images on my SD Card (a 133x SanDisk).

First, when I try to upload them into one of the Panasonic software programs for viewing, it takes as long as five minutes. This is much, much longer than my sony takes for the same number of similarly sized images. Is this normal? (The fastest seems to be in Photofun Studio, which I configure to show only small thumbnails.)

If you are using the camera to download the photos to the computer that may be about the right speed. Do your self a big favor and get a card reader a 10 dollar one will be fine. The transfer will go much faster.

Second, does the camera automaticall save a JPEG of the same image when I set it to TIFF? Upon uploading, there is a JPEG copy of each TIFF image.

Yes it does but there is no reason to use TIFF...Raw yes but TIFF no.
    Just shoot JPEG untill you get more familiar with the camera.

Third, what have forum members found to be the fastest workflow to view images and delete the junk, then move the ones that nake the cut into an imaging program such as Photoshop.

Thus far, the fasest way for me has been to launch Photoshop, then use the File/Open command in Photoshop to open the images.

Thanks in advance for anyhelp.

Regards-Mawgie
    If you are using windows XP just view the photos in windows picture and fax viewer and use windows explore to select and open in PS.
    I also do not like the programs you are using for the download again if your using XP use the wizzard or just drag and drop them to a folder of your choice.
    such as C:/Fluzzi/date

Gene
    http://grc225.zenfolio.com/
    http://imageevent.com/grc6
    one of these days I'll understand!

Panasonic FZ20 & FZ30,FZ18
    D50 -- D80

as for me...
    i always copy the files from my card to my hard disk first!
    it much much faster than accessing from the card directly!..

I just pick the preffered pic then open it in photoshop or image processing software...edit it .... save it .. then pick another one!

but thats me...! with my slow computer!
    Lumix FZ-20K
    Lumix FZ-30
    Canon Kiss Digital N
    EOS 40D
    + EF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 USM +EF16-35mm f2.8+ EF 28-70mm f2.8+ 70-200mm f2.8+ EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS + Tamron 100-300 f5-6.3
    check my gallery (^-^)

Quote Originally Posted by kuroneko
    as for me...
    i always copy the files from my card to my hard disk first!
    it much much faster than accessing from the card directly!..

That is the way I would do it ...get the photos off the card.
    And a card reader would still be a big help as far as transfer speed.

I just pick the preffered pic then open it in photoshop or image processing software...edit it .... save it .. then pick another one!

but thats me...! with my slow computer!
    Thats the way I do it ...maybe a dozen or so at a time and from windows explorer.

Gene
    http://grc225.zenfolio.com/
    http://imageevent.com/grc6
    one of these days I'll understand!

Panasonic FZ20 & FZ30,FZ18
    D50 -- D80

Processing

I tried for 2 minutes using the Panasonic software and uninstalled it.
    I have never actually used this method, and I usually discard into some forgotten drawer any cables and CD's that come with these things now anyway - but thought I'd give it a try - waste of time.
    As said, use a card reader (make sure you have USB2.0 version), then simply open images in PSP or whatever you use for photo manipulation, contrast, re-sizing, whatever.
    It is pretty instant and take the images off the card before playing with them.

Have fun.