Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink One more time: It ain't the equipment!

Great mind-calming article by Ken Rockwell HERE.

Now can we all just go back to shooting PHOTOGRAPHS?

(I especially like Rockwell's link to these photos he took with a $3.00 box camera. )
    Last edited by Norm in Fujino; 10-21-2005 at 06:20 AM.
    "...and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
    Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

IMHO, Rockwell is right when it comes to the kinds of images he shoots, but sports photography is another matter entirely. There are situations in sports photography where there is no substitute for a fast telephoto lens.

And in my personal experience, there's a very noticeable difference in image quality between a consumer-grade zoom and a Canon L series zoom of the same focal lengths and aperture range.

Sure, some of this could be retroactive rationalizing of all the money I've spent on cameras and lenses over the years. For landscapes and photos-as-art, Rockwell is certainly right. Heck, there's a recent discussion on the Fred Miranda forum that shows the "defect" in the recalled Canon 24-105 L lens can be used artistically!
    A manual-focus slide shooter lost in the world of digicams.

It's all never ending debate. It comes down to your shooting style and your type of photography. As stated, a real sports photog could no get away with a holga, neither could architectual photogs. Wedding photogs could use disposable cameras, and under IDEAL situations get good results, but usually, the results would be way below subpar.

Many cheap point and shoot cameras do well under ideal situations, and with some cropping, sharpening, color corrections, contrast adjustment, etc, you get a good looking image, one that may look as good from a converted raw image. But many photogs, pros, can't, or wont edit their photos. At my newspaper I had to use L glass because I couldn't adjust mess with the pic, other than crop 25%. Photoshop fixing was not an option.
    US Navy--Hooyah!

Nikon D700/D300|17-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, Sigmalux, 80-200 f/2.8, 16 f/2.8 fisheye,

Lots of flashes and Honl gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm in Fujino
    Great mind-calming article by Ken Rockwell HERE.

Now can we all just go back to shooting PHOTOGRAPHS?
    Well said, Norm. Not too long ago I was making a journal entry titled, "My obsession," in which I was trying to relate the odd pleasure (and pain) of obsessing over what camera to buy.

Halfway through the piece I started wondering why I was so fixated. And in the end it came back to a picture in my head that I've wanted to make for years. (Years. I'm not exaggerating.)

I have a Canon G2. Who's to say that I couldn't take the same photo with that camera? What's been stopping me? Mostly a self-imposed series of ideas that I had to "get serious" before I began going out and asking people to become part of the photographs I want to make. "Getting serious" meant getting a new computer, upgrading a drive, figuring out what lens I would want and use (and be able to afford), what camera I would use.

Well it's been years now and I'm no closer to making that photograph. My head's been stuck in gear-land.

[Pointing to my temple] It's here, man. Always was, always will be--along with all the other countless images that have informed my visual vocabulary, like ones taken by Larry Burrows (look him, and "Yankee Papa 13" up--stunning images, showing the best of what photography can be).

It's time to get shooting, man. Thanks for the reminder, brother.

Julian
    (who will probably break down next month and order his damn D70s)

---------------------------------------------------------
    Amateur Photographer
    Nikon D70s
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5
    Canon PowerShot G2

I need new ways to interpret things. Photography gives me new interpretations.

It really depends on the situation. We can be idealistic and say that we could live on disposable cameras and take wonderful pictures, but in situations like sports, news coverage, anything that happens rapidly and once, you can't honestly be expecting to get away with subpar gear are you? In those situations, catching the subject in action is the key rather than planning everything out and being completely artistic about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex914
    It really depends on the situation. We can be idealistic and say that we could live on disposable cameras and take wonderful pictures, but in situations like sports, news coverage, anything that happens rapidly and once, you can't honestly be expecting to get away with subpar gear are you? In those situations, catching the subject in action is the key rather than planning everything out and being completely artistic about it.
    Hi Rex,

I think you're entirely right about this. I just think the original missive--and the article it pointed to--was really more about the idea that at this stage in technology, you really can go out and create beauty with just about everything.

This contrasts to our forum, which is alive with chatter about this-and-that and point-point comparisons of this gear or that. Don't get me wrong: I know that better equipment will, ceteris paribus, yield better results. And obsessing over tiny details is sometimes its own reward. It's just that in the end I think it's held some of us up from talking about what really is motivates us, and then going out and doing it.

By the way, your post about the Canon rebates is one I initially misunderstood...I have to confess that I began looking all over the web when I should have been writing a lesson plan instead!

Julian

---------------------------------------------------------
    Amateur Photographer
    Nikon D70s
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5
    Canon PowerShot G2

I need new ways to interpret things. Photography gives me new interpretations.

Is the rebate system clear now? I was a little overjoyed at first to hear about it (finally am going to get it around Christmas!) that I did a shoddy job mentioning it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jredtugboat
    I know that better equipment will, ceteris paribus, yield better results. And obsessing over tiny details is sometimes its own reward. It's just that in the end I think it's held some of us up from talking about what really is motivates us, and then going out and doing it.
    Julian
    nice post. i agree that the thought of better gear has probably held some of us back from going out and shooting CERTAIN pictures when we have lower end equipment that is perfectly capable. i see what ken rockwell's point is, but i still don't like how he buries his point in tons of over generalizations and weird examples. he could make his point in 1-2 paragraphs but instead shoots himself in the foot and discredites himself with all that other stuff. i wish he would just keep it simple and offer sound advise without adding all the other junk i mentioned that IMO is filling peoples minds with strange ideas.

if some of you missed it, here's a very similar thread:

http://dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12472
    canon 17-40 L, 70-200 f2.8 L, 400 f5.6 L, 50 f1.4 & f1.8, 1.4x TC, sigma 15 f2.8 fisheye, flash 500 DG Super, kenko extension tubes

note to self: don't participate in sad, silly threads unless you're looking for sad, silly responses.

"anti-BS filter" (from andy): http://dcresource.com/forums/showpos...94&postcount=4

I'm thinking if I showed up with a disposable 35mm camera at the race track, I wouldn't sell too many pics.
    Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by cdi-buy.com
    I'm thinking if I showed up with a disposable 35mm camera at the race track, I wouldn't sell too many pics.
    More to the point, you wouldn't be able to take any salable pics.

And unfortunately, sometimes the gear you carry to a shoot indicates whether you're a pro or just a hobbyist. Is it worse to be a pro mistaken for a hobbyist, or a hobbyist mistaken for a pro?
    A manual-focus slide shooter lost in the world of digicams.