Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

hanksf Guest

Question Lens for the D50 18-125 or 18-200

I am about to buy a D50. I have read several of the postings about the Sigma 18-125mm lens and about the 18-200mm lens. I will use the camera a lot for travel--landscapes, buildings, people, etc. My previous camera was a Nikon N80 with a 28-300mm Tamron lens. I frequently used the higher telephoto end as well as the wide-angle end of the range. My priority is to have clear, sharp, high quality images.

Would you recommend the Sigma 18-125 or a 18-200mm or something else as my only lens for now?

If you recommend the 18-200, would you recommend Sigma or Tamron?

Thanks very much,

Hank

I own the Sigma 18-200 and I'm very happy w/ it (I'm new to photography though, so I don't exactly have standards I guess).

I know w/ the 18-125 there is vignetting that occurs, and it obviously has less zoom than the 18-200, but all this is for ~$90-$100 more (IIRC), I myself went for the 18-200 one because I do not have a program to fix vignetting, and I thought to myself...I would probably be spending ~$100 on that program instead of just getting lenses w/ no vignetting in the first place.

And last, I do know the Sigma 18-200 is better than the Tamron version because Tamron has less sharpness, it can get CA, and some other stuff....here's a link for pics: http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7524
    Beginner!

Canon Rebel XT
    Sigma 18-200mm
    Canon 50mm f/1.8

I just bought a D50 with the Sigma 18-200mm and am very happy with it, although I'm in a similar boat this being my first SLR of any kind. I did do a lot of research beforehand, though, and the verdicts seem to be 1: The D50 kit lens is mediocre and 2: If you're looking for an all-in-one lens you can't beat the Sigma for anything near the price (including the Tamron).

I've seen plenty of samples with this lens and the D50 or the D70 and it really does take beautiful shots (in my unprofessional opinion). If you decide to go with it, check out sigma4less.com. They were considerably cheaper than anywhere else.
    Last edited by yonidass; 10-09-2005 at 06:16 PM.

D50+sigma18-200

I am happy with same setup. Images didn't blow me away, but they are pretty good.
    I am just an amateur, off-cause who likes photography.
    Nikon D50, Sigma 18-200, Tamron 28-75