Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Image softness with D50

Ok, after a couple months or so with my D50 I've got a question. I've noticed that most images seem to come out somewhat soft but with a little post-processing their detail can really shine.

My question though is whether or not I should change the image optimization in the camera to a mode that offers sharpening OR if it's better to have it this way and just take care of the sharpness in PS.

I'm away from my home computer right now but maybe sometime later I can post a couple pics...1 straight from the camera and another after a bit of processing.

Btw, using D50, Sigma 18-200DC, and image optimization is at "Default".

Just wondering if anyone has thought through that same question.

Thanks

All I can say is that is why digital is great.

You can try some different settings and then erase them and change them back.

Personally I have the same settings as you and basically the same setup and I havent noticed anything with the softness.

I will have a play around and get back to you though.

Could it be your lens?

Long zooms tend to softer.

Raw DSLR data is soft by nature .. but there is a lot of detail that can be extracted via sharpening. You can choose to have the camera do it for you, or you can do it via Photoshop - the choice is yours. Some don't want the hassle of post-processing every picture, others like the ability to sharpen each photo according to their own desires.
    If you're going the photoshop route, it's best to leave in-camera sharpening low (or better yet, shoot RAW so it doesn't matter), so as not to interfere with your own sharpening later. If you just want good JPEGs out of the camera, bump up the sharpening a bit.
    Last edited by Balrog; 10-10-2005 at 06:18 PM.

It could be your lens, the focus may not be spot on. Please, feel free to post some 100% crops wide open and stopped down to f/10.
    US Navy--Hooyah!

Nikon D700/D300|17-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, Sigmalux, 80-200 f/2.8, 16 f/2.8 fisheye,

Lots of flashes and Honl gear.

After having the sigma 18-125 on my d50 i decided to take it back and pay the extra money on the nikkor 18-70. A lot sharper even if i don't have the extra reach.

SO, lens is an issue. Also i found that i get good results if i use SHARPER image optimisation mode. At least for my taste.